I'm tired of this broken update procedure

Reaction score
On EVERY update, my RC has failed to recognise that there is an update after successfully updating the aircraft without issue. In the last updates it literally took an hour plus for the iPhone and controller to recognise that there was an update. Today it's past that 'horrible hour' and still no bloody update for the RC. In fact, how onward to know there is an update for the RC? It's not on the website there is no indication anywhere else! I wish DJI would sort this f*****g crap update procedure out.. I don't have hours to sit around waiting!

51370751ad8ae8712928776971642af5_thumb.jpg

Here's is my procedure that I know others use:

1. Download DJI GO (or upgrade to it)
2. TURN ON AIRCRAFT & CONTROLLER then Connect iPhone to your Phantom 4 using the special cable
3. Firmware update reminder should be on a home page. Click the update.
3.1. If your app doesn't show the update reminder, please restart the app
3.2. If your app still doesn't show the update reminder, please re-install the app
3.3. If your app STILL doesn't show the update reminder, please make sure you have the internet connection, leave it open on the home page for a while. It could take some time to show up.

4. Follow the steps given in the app - will download the f/w to phone first.
4.1 Make sure that short OTG cable is pluged in the aircraft and the long cable is pluged into your mobile device.

5. Upgrade your firmware - Press Upgrade once f/w is downloaded
5.1 Don't turn off the aircraft, RC or DJI GO before the FW upgrade is complete.
5.2 The aircraft can behave abnormally when updating the app. Led lights can shine randomly, the gimbal can go limp, drone might make different sounds. Don't worry, just give it a bit of time.

6. When Aircraft Upgrade is succesful! -

1. Turn OFF Aircraft and disconnect from iPhone.
2. Turn OFF RC and STOP GO App.
3. Restart the aircraft
4. Connect your mobile device with remote controller (RC should be turned OFF when connecting)
5. Now turn ON RC and START GO App
6. Now update your RC - when you see the upgrade prompt on the DJI home screen of the GO App.

If all fails to update controller, POWER EVERYTHING OFF FOR A FEW MINS, REPLACE AIRCRAFT BATTERY WITH ANOTHER. TURN EVERYTHING BACK ON.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Which version do you have installed on your remote controller? 1.6 is the current version.

Remote is 1.6.0 - but it's always said 1.60 and yet there have been radio controller updates.. This number hasn't changed since I bought the aircraft!

Firmware updates don't always include remote controller updates.

Ok.. But how does one know given that every update has been extremely temperamental and has taken over an hour for it to recognise that there is one?!! Did your last update include the remote controller?

Personally it's a broken system that leaves users in doubt and in fear that an incompatibility could cause issues in flight leading to loss of the drone. This is a serious issue. DJI don't even make it clear what updates have been delivered.. Not good. Personally, this will contribute to the decision of purchasing my next drone.

Last edited:
The system could be improved if DJI listed the current firmware versions for both the aircraft and remote controller in their release notes. For some reason, they only list the aircraft firmware version.

In your case, you're worrying about nothing. You've already confirmed that you're running the current remote controller firmware. Go out and fly :)

Every once in a while, I have to do an update by the SD card method. PITA but I just do it and move one. I see it as part of the price to play.

In other words, no way I would have gone through everything you went through. Once it failed, I would have dropped back to the card method and just moved on. Just something to consider.

I've never had the card update method to fail that I can remember.

Every once in a while, I have to do an update by the SD card method. PITA but I just do it and move one. I see it as part of the price to play.

In other words, no way I would have gone through everything you went through. Once it failed, I would have dropped back to the card method and just moved on. Just something to consider.

I've never had the card update method to fail that I can remember.

Card Update?! I'm using a Phantom 4, so one can download the actual update files? From where exactly?

The system could be improved if DJI listed the current firmware versions for both the aircraft and remote controller in their release notes. For some reason, they only list the aircraft firmware version.

In your case, you're worrying about nothing. You've already confirmed that you're running the current remote controller firmware. Go out and fly :)

Thanks msinger.

Card Update?! I'm using a Phantom 4, so one can download the actual update files? From where exactly?

You may have a point there. I know I've done it on my P3P and my Inspire, and I thought I had done it on my P4, but maybe not. I had to do my Inspire by hand just this past week.

It's certainly not on the download page now. I think the current FW has been there in the past, but I couldn't swear to it.

I have noticed droid or idevice can have difficulties to connect network if device is close to RC and bird, home wi-fi router suffering interferences from RC or craft? In my case causing firmware download to hold. When happening I just move away my iPad for 20-30 cm and download is again operational. Must happen when home router wi-fi strenght is low, in my case I was in the basement. Does this makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Must be a P4 specific thing
Yes -- the P4 upgrade process is not the same as the P3 upgrade process. Everything is installed from DJI GO (or the DJI Assistant 2).

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
The last update I did after disconnecting the usb cable from the rc to place in the bird I turned off the rc and the upgrade failed, did it 3 times with fails, next try I left the rc on after connecting to the bird and the upgrade was fast and all good. I also had formatted the mem card in the bird before the upgrade because the app records on the card the results of upgrade, don't know if the format makes a diff but I did it any ways.

Can someone just tell me if they'd upgraded the f/w on their Controller, on the last P4 aircraft update? (4.01.02.0503).. Thank you

I use my PC to do the updates via the DJI Assistant, that way you can see the version has updated itself, and it does it much quicker as well.
Not 100% sure if it does the controller, the last one I done did both I'm pretty sure.
Although it has done an update while "in the field" so to speak.
No way has it ever took an hour !.
Or am I thinking of my P3A ?????, not the P4 !!

I've dated with three released and never had an issue. I use pc to update phantom 4 every time. Controller separately. I've a P2 and P4 with iPod Pro 9.7

Sent from my iPod touch using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20