Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

I'm still nervous

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by matt215, Jan 1, 2014.

1. matt215

Still in first week of flying. Did compass calibration, etc, but phantom is not very stable when I let the joysticks return to neutral. It just sort of floats around in circles,cans sometimes moves forward. I know a little bit of movement is normal, but how much can I expect?

Also, I keep hearing people say to stay away from power lines. I love near quite a few power lines, and they run right through my neighborhood. How far away is far enough?

2. Nvr2fst

Just take it somewhere you know is clear and calibrate the compass. It doesn't have to be real close to where you are flying. Just don't do it across the country.

3. Pull_Up

Agree. Make a special trip to somewhere wide open, calibrate there, see how she flies. If it's still not holding a hover in GPS mode within about a 6ft diameter circle (but without obviously circling around within that diameter) then I'd take it back to my dealer. If it flies well, come back to your usual location and try flying without a calibration. If it still moves about too much then you know there's something messing with your compass nearby and I would not fly there.

Good job on not buzzing around your neighbourhood having spotted it's not holding tight in GPS.

4. amrflyingdude

+1

5. Gizmo3000

run Advanced calibration as well.

6. Pull_Up

Good point about doing an IMU calibration if it still shows some wobbles. I had assumed that a factory fresh one shouldn't require the IMU to be calibrated but of course you can never assume with electronics!

7. matt215

Wait... what? How do I do advanced or IMU calibration?

8. iResq

RTFM. Also check out the videos under Phantom.

9. iResq

10. EMCSQUAR

11. krb

krb

+1 to this bit of information. I think a lot of new people (myself included) don't know how steady the P2s should hold when they first start. Mine usually holds with a couple of feet in no wind, but anything outside of 5-6 feet and I start troubleshooting rather than flying.