I'm starting to wonder if DJI Service Team pulled a fast one on me...

Reaction score
First of all, I'm very impressed that DJI in California serviced my crashed Phantom through the warrantee and had it back to me in less than 4 weeks. It crashed seconds after takeoff when it suddenly went from green "Safe to Fly GPS" to red "Compass Error" but that's another story.

I got my repaired P3P yesterday and after calibrating the IMU, gimbal and the compass, one of the first things I was going to do was take off the tablet holder on the controller and install the metal Inspire holder which is much more stable and won't wobble, just like I did with my other Phantom controller. Upon trying to remove the holder, the screw kept on turning instead of unscrewing. It seems that the nut that it bolts to is moving along with the screw as I try to unscrew it but it won't unscrew. So, I can't put on the Inspire holder on. OK, not a big deal, I'll try to figure that out another day.

The next thing I wanted to do is remove the lense on the camera and put on one of my ND filter lenses. I removed the lense on my other Phantom without any issued and screwed the new lense right on. Well, I tried to unscrew this Phantom's lense with my hands but that didn't work. Next I resorted to using channel lock pliers with some cloth so it wouldn't scratch the outside of the lense. It STILL would not unscrew! I finally got another set of channel locks to hold the camera while the other pliers tried to unscrew the lense and it unscrewed about a half turn but didn't want to unscrew anymore! It almost seems that something was put on the threads (super glue?... loctite?) so that removing the lense would be difficult, if not impossible! After about an hour of attempting to carefully remove the lense, i finally cracked the lense! :eek:

So now the lense is gone but the camera looks ok. I flew it around and it flys great and the camera stills and video seems to work just fine without the protective glass that I broke but I still can't use my ND filter lenses!

I'm not quite a conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to wonder did someone over there alter these things because I didn't have ANY of these issues with my first P3P. Maybe they were hoping that I wanted to upgrade these things and I'd damage them and have to pay to get it serviced! I don't know, but It makes me wonder. :(

I'm wondering if a well outfitted camera shop could help me with it.

Anyway, what do you guys think about all of this?

First of all, I'm very impressed that DJI in California serviced my crashed Phantom through the warrantee and had it back to me in less than 4 weeks. It crashed seconds after takeoff when it suddenly went from green "Safe to Fly GPS" to red "Compass Error" but that's another story.

I got my repaired P3P yesterday and after calibrating the IMU, gimbal and the compass, one of the first things I was going to do was take off the tablet holder on the controller and install the metal Inspire holder which is much more stable and won't wobble, just like I did with my other Phantom controller. Upon trying to remove the original holder, the screw kept on turning instead of unscrewing. It seems that the nut that it bolts to is moving along with the screw as I try to unscrew it but it won't unscrew. So, I can't put on the Inspire hold. OK, not a big deal, I'll try to figure that out another day.

The next thing I wanted to do is remove the lense on the camera and put on one of my ND filter lenses. I removed the lense on my other Phantom without any issued and screwed the new lense right on. Well, I tried to unscrew this Phantom's lense with my hands but that didn't work. Next I resorted to using channel lock pliers with some cloth so it wouldn't scratch the outside of the lense. It STILL would not unscrew! I finally got another set of channel locks to hold the camera while the other pliers tried to unscrew the lense and it unscrewed about a half turn but didn't want to unscrew anymore! It almost seems that something was put on the threads (super glue?... loctite?) so that removing the lense would be difficult, if not impossible! After about an hour of attempting to carefully remove the lense, i finally cracked the lense! :eek:

So now the lense is gone but the camera looks ok. I flew it around and it flys great and the camera stills and video seems to work just fine without the protective glass that I broke but I still can't use my ND filter lenses!

I'm not quite a conspiracy theorist, but I'm starting to wonder did someone over there alter these things because I didn't have ANY of these issues with my first P3P. Maybe they were hoping that I wanted to upgrade these things and I'd damage them and have to pay to get it serviced! I don't know, but It makes me wonder. :(

Lol maybe, anything is possible now a days

But would they really though..??? :confused:

Is there a document somewhere that outlines their 'repair' policy?

Have they reserved the right to repair or replace at their discretion AND used reconditioned materials, parts, etc., as the deem necessary?

I got my repaired P3P yesterday and after calibrating the IMU, gimbal and the compass, one of the first things I was going to do was take off the tablet holder on the controller and install the metal Inspire holder which is much more stable and won't wobble, just like I did with my other Phantom controller. Upon trying to remove the original holder, the screw kept on turning instead of unscrewing. It seems that the nut that it bolts to is moving along with the screw as I try to unscrew it but it won't unscrew. So, I can't put on the Inspire hold. OK, not a big deal, I'll try to figure that out another day.

There are multiple threads on this forum regarding the removal of that lens cover. Believe it or not -- The technique is light finger pressure and rotating the lens cover without binding the threads and it come off quite easily. Channel locks?? I don't think that will get it done. Aluminum threads have a tendency to "sieze" with the slightest amount of lateral pressure.

Can't get lens cover off!

Is there a document somewhere that outlines their 'repair' policy?

Have they reserved the right to repair or replace at their discretion AND used reconditioned materials, parts, etc., as the deem necessary?

I'm sure they use reconditioned parts but that shouldn't hinder me from simply removing the lense on the camera.

Agreed but the bench tech can 'chalk up' another completed repair by using glue cause he screwed up the threads.

Reactions: bobmyers
I know I got my "repair back" 2 days ago...and its more messed up than it was originally sent in for..including additional cracks that were not present before, aircraft errors and missing decals. I'm blown away. It's on its was back for a second time this month. They're paying for the overnight there and two day back. And I was told I'd get the escalated RMA and id be back in the air by next week. We'll see. Obviously they're "trying" to make it right but at this point if the next delivery to me has any issues the only corrections I could see is a brand new one. I've given them every chance to set it right. We will see..

I got my repaired P3P yesterday and after calibrating the IMU, gimbal and the compass, one of the first things I was going to do was take off the tablet holder on the controller and install the metal Inspire holder which is much more stable and won't wobble, just like I did with my other Phantom controller. Upon trying to remove the holder, the screw kept on turning instead of unscrewing. It seems that the nut that it bolts to is moving along with the screw as I try to unscrew it but it won't unscrew. So, I can't put on the Inspire holder on. OK, not a big deal, I'll try to figure that out another day.

I have the same issue with the tablet holder screw, it turns together with the bolt. If anyone know any trick to fix this do let us know. For now i just put some lockthight on the vertical hand adjustable screw and it stops the plastic holder from wobbling.

You can't use the same screws on the metal device holder that come with the P3. The metal holder requires longer screws. I did the same thing and I thought something was wrong. The lens cover on mine was super tight and I used a rubber band and it came off fairly easy. I guess it's a little late to tell you that , but, you can buy another or buy some screw on filters.

The best way to remove the lens filter is to wrap a rubber band around it and gently apply enough pressure with your fingers to grip just the rubber band and unscrew the lens. Works like a charm for me!

I have tried everything from rubber bands to rubber gloves. Nothing has worked. Those saying use to use light pressure haven't tried mine. It feels like it's glued.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Your removal method was almost gauranteed to damage something.... luckily the camera is functioning but if the polar pro wont screw on soukds like you destroyed the thread. Easiest way around it might be to get some polar pro filters. They fit over the outside of the barrel (dont rely on the thread).

EDIT- I meant to say Snake River Protoyping, they just slide over the outside of the barrel. Gentle even finger pressure will do it. You wont need an anvil and a lump hammer to get them or a hydraulic press.

I have tried everything from rubber bands to rubber gloves. Nothing has worked. Those saying use to use light pressure haven't tried mine. It feels like it's glued.

Whatever you do.. Do not put force on the ring.. Do not squeeze it tighter. That actually makes it harder to take off. I had the exact same problem. I used a rubber band. The tighter you grip the harder it will be to get off. The ring is paper thin and will bend if you put to much pressure on it.

I haven't tried it but someone here used a rubber sole against the face of the cover to get it to twist free.

Whatever you do.. Do not put force on the ring.. Do not squeeze it tighter. That actually makes it harder to take off. I had the exact same problem. I used a rubber band. The tighter you grip the harder it will be to get off. The ring is paper thin and will bend if you put to much pressure on it.

I haven't tried it but someone here used a rubber sole against the face of the cover to get it to twist free.
I was the rubber sole method in action, DJI service centre who replaced my camera under warranty.

The trick is to use extremely light pressure on the edge of the bezel.

I have me from new, and I'm unable to get the lens off. So I'm just leaving it for the moment.
I did the same thing. Waited a few days relaxed a little came off when I used less pressure

Your removal method was almost gauranteed to damage something.... luckily the camera is functioning but if the polar pro wont screw on soukds like you destroyed the thread. Easiest way around it might be to get some polar pro filters. They fit over the outside of the barrel (dont rely on the thread).

EDIT- I meant to say Snake River Protoyping, they just slide over the outside of the barrel. Gentle even finger pressure will do it. You wont need an anvil and a lump hammer to get them or a hydraulic press.

What?? those fine adjustment precision tools are an absolute necessity! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20