I'm sorry I'm tired of the tilted horizon

Sad to say I returned my P3 this week. I don't want to get stuck with a DJI Phantom 3 when version 2.0 comes out with bug fixes. Sorry for those left stranded with the tilted horizon and other issues. I love 99% of all the features in this drone, but it drifts more than my P2, and I had better image results with the GoPro 4 on my P2. That being said, it's still a chunk of magic in every way and I'm sure I'll be clicking the BUY button once these issues are fixed. I'm wondering what other improvements DJI will add to the next version as well. The P2 had a v2 and v3 released in very short order.

I don't want to follow your lead and return my P3 but this horizon issue is really getting to me.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I understand your reluctance. For me, a little patience goes a long way. If I get to a spot where I can't live without the P3, they are only 48 hours away via B&H, Amazon, and even Walmart! If this was the last hoorah from DJI, I'd keep it, but from my experience with the rapid release of the Phantom 2's v2 and v3 over a short period of months, I'm confident DJI will issue a new and improved P3 in the near future. My P3 also had small fractures in the shell near 2 of the motors. I logged a total of 8 flights ...

I understand your reluctance. For me, a little patience goes a long way. If I get to a spot where I can't live without the P3, they are only 48 hours away via B&H, Amazon, and even Walmart! If this was the last hoorah from DJI, I'd keep it, but from my experience with the rapid release of the Phantom 2's v2 and v3 over a short period of months, I'm confident DJI will issue a new and improved P3 in the near future. My P3 also had small fractures in the shell near 2 of the motors. I logged a total of 8 flights ...

I have so much invested in this thing. I've probably got $1,000+ invested on top of the cost of the P3P. If I return mine, I'll just get another one, I guess. I'd rather not return it at all because other than that **** horizon issue, everything else seems to work perfectly.

Now, having said that, having to correct a tilted horizon in post means cropping the footage and losing out on actual 4k video. That's not an option for me after having spent so much already.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
I'm seriously considering buying a used P2 vision+ and waiting for a working P3. I sold my P2 a couple of months ago for good $. The used market is now saturated because of the enormous success of the P3. A P2 loaded up with extra batteries, etc can be had in the $500 - $600 range and will always be worth a few dollars when it's time to re-sell.

Tilted horizon - yes IMU and gimbal calibration keeps it in check.

I am more (equally) frustrated by the lens distortion. The horizon has a "nice" peak towards the center of the frame and then tails off on both ends. I don't recall seeing this effect in many videos I have watched on YT etc.

I will try to screen grab a video from last evening.

zXG2L3W.png

If you want to eliminate the screen distortion use Adobe Premiere software. They have a preset that takes care of this.

I can attest to re-calibrating my P3P's IMU 4x on a level surface. The horizon levels somewhat once in the air, but the bug creeps back in by the end of my flight if not sooner. If I maneuver the copter to facing north or south it appears leveled. I can reproduce the issue over and over.
What you said is part of why it's so frustrating for me. Since we can easily reproduce the issue over and over again, you'd think that DJI could also easily reproduce the issue and find a fix. Assuming of course they are even trying. I haven't seen anywhere that they have acknowledged this is a known issue, so they may not even be trying to fix it. I'd love to know if they are aware and if they are trying or not.

Reactions: JoBe
I am still having the same issues everytime I fly and on the latest update that just came out. I have done every calibration and still continue to have issues.

Yep, this is what happens to me. When perpendicular to the coast (in most of my flights), it's worst, then yaw left and right 90 degrees it fixes itself, then back to bad as I turn around. I've tested again in zero wind today, like none... So no **** idea why? Wtf. Perfect upon takeoff..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
YolevonAllin - check out this thread if you have a chance. There's an interesting theory about the tilt:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/tilted-horizon.51151/

Yep, this is what happens to me. When perpendicular to the coast (in most of my flights), it's worst, then yaw left and right 90 degrees it fixes itself, then back to bad as I turn around. I've tested again in zero wind today, like none... So no **** idea why? Wtf. Perfect upon takeoff..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Does your coast line run north/south?

I would not recommend the fix that happened for me - mine took a dive into a lake. After complete dry out and one new engine it flies great and horizontal tilt - VERY slight - is completely gone.

Sent from my PT beating heart

I'm wondering how many with this problem uses a lens filter or anything different than a stock gimbal-camera. I'm thinking maybe any added weight that might affect the balance of the camera might contribute to this horizon issue. Just wondering.

I'm wondering how many with this problem uses a lens filter or anything different than a stock gimbal-camera. I'm thinking maybe any added weight that might affect the balance of the camera might contribute to this horizon issue. Just wondering.
The tilt caused by extra weight would tilt the camera down, not diagonally. I've had this problem way before I used any filters... And mine don't weigh anything since they're gel filters.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik