I'm so mad, I'm going to buy a P2 - need advice

dragonash said:
hmm.. well i will definitely need one. I might just have to get the basics

...or not.
found a website
http://www.extremeuas.com/

$10 extra + 4 for shipping.

Then again, shipping from the UK must cost at least $10 I would think

I don't remember exactly what the shipping was on it but it was cheaper (and quicker) than expected.

That site you found is the one I was looking for, seems they're waiting for the next batch too :(

Phil (the owner of RaveCreative) often posts updates in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6239

OI Photography said:
dragonash said:
hmm.. well i will definitely need one. I might just have to get the basics

...or not.
found a website
http://www.extremeuas.com/

$10 extra + 4 for shipping.

Then again, shipping from the UK must cost at least $10 I would think

I don't remember exactly what the shipping was on it but it was cheaper (and quicker) than expected.

That site you found is the one I was looking for, seems they're waiting for the next batch too :(

Phil (the owner of RaveCreative) often posts updates in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6239

really? It's not saying out of stock. Then again, I didnt go to checkout yet

In the ad it says expected to ship in 7-10 days, I'm guessing that's the projected eta for the next batch from Rave. Or their post office is really far away lol.

OI Photography said:

Rave ship their mounts at no postage cost, world-wide.

OI Photography said:
In the ad it says expected to ship in 7-10 days, I'm guessing that's the projected eta for the next batch from Rave. Or their post office is really far away lol.

I saw that on the futaba mount, not the dji one.

I guess we will find out soon enough lol

edit:

well crap, now it says out of stock.

well, everything that i could order has been ordered.
It was really hard parting with all that money all at once, but then i started to think about the time, money and effort I was putting into the fc40 with those shotty chinese parts and figured it was all worth it.

God bless USA retailers!

I dont know what to do about a mount yet. I'll figure something out...maybe lol

picked up my phantom, gimbal and mini iosd!

one small setback...and i use the word loosely. Seems i got an older version gimbal and it uses the usb port. Not the connector for the back of the gopro.

kind of annoyed at that.
Got the anti interference board though. I had heard some people never got that and needed it. I'll consider it a push :)

That's the newer version of the gimbal I'm afraid, they stopped using the port on the back a while ago :(

I didn't get any benefit when I tried an anti-interference board, but I have seen reports that it helps sometimes with jello (which I don't get).

OI Photography said:
That's the newer version of the gimbal I'm afraid, they stopped using the port on the back a while ago :(

I didn't get any benefit when I tried an anti-interference board, but I have seen reports that it helps sometimes with jello (which I don't get).

say what? Thats the new one? hah!
Anyway, I was very detailed oriented today.

Made sure everything worked out of the box.
Tested the Phantom alone, calibrated it, updated firmware - noticed the controller was on the opposite mode! lol
BTW, the controller doesnt beep and the LED is red. Unlike the FC40 where the LED is green and it beeps when its turned on.
Had to hunt down the wiki to find out that this was the norm
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phanto ... Controller

Then i installed the gimbal (and placed the interference board inside the hull).
Let me say... omfg what an ez install. Compared to these other chinese pieces of crap, I could almost do this with my eyes closed.

Took it out for a test drive with the gimbal. Flies like a hog. lol. And it feels like the gains are a bit lower than my FC40, however, I am so happy with the picture quality.

Now I just need to wait for everything else :)
I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks again for the last minute help!

dragonash said:
OI Photography said:

say what? Thats the new one? hah!
Anyway, I was very detailed oriented today.

Made sure everything worked out of the box.
Tested the Phantom alone, calibrated it, updated firmware - noticed the controller was on the opposite mode! lol
BTW, the controller doesnt beep and the LED is red. Unlike the FC40 where the LED is green and it beeps when its turned on.
Had to hunt down the wiki to find out that this was the norm
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Phanto ... Controller

Then i installed the gimbal (and placed the interference board inside the hull).
Let me say... omfg what an ez install. Compared to these other chinese pieces of crap, I could almost do this with my eyes closed.

Took it out for a test drive with the gimbal. Flies like a hog. lol. And it feels like the gains are a bit lower than my FC40, however, I am so happy with the picture quality.

Now I just need to wait for everything else :)
I'll keep you guys updated.

Thanks again for the last minute help!

Glad to hear everything's going well with your new setup, maybe put a video up if you have the time. :)

freefall101 said:
Glad to hear everything's going well with your new setup, maybe put a video up if you have the time. :)

sure thing. I didn't think it would be interesting since I was just testing the waters.
I didn't push it too hard because my trust hasn't been built up with it yet ;)

As you can see, if I go fast, there is a bit of a shake. But normal speed provides very smooth video. Great for scenery!
Definitely worth the money based on its essentially plug'n'play setup and how well it works.

Also, about 3 min into it, I switched to ATTI mode to see if there was a difference in stability of video

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3Mgd9sr8nE[/youtube]

Nice view, is this in Brooklyn, New York? The video looks stable enough, I think going a lot faster would cause some noticeable shake on most P2's, I've seen some on a lot of YouTube videos so no worries. These seem a lot less common/popular in the UK or at least where I live, so nobody has ever seen a "drone" before and it's always a good conversation starter. My P2 is only my second quadcopter after the Hubsan X4 w/HD camera I bought earlier this year.

freefall101 said:
Nice view, is this in Brooklyn, New York? The video looks stable enough, I think going a lot faster would cause some noticeable shake on most P2's, I've seen some on a lot of YouTube videos so no worries. These seem a lot less common/popular in the UK or at least where I live, so nobody has ever seen a "drone" before and it's always a good conversation starter. My P2 is only my second quadcopter after the Hubsan X4 w/HD camera I bought earlier this year.

yes, it's in brooklyn, NY.
Luckily, I have had only positive responses. Even from people who say "oh wow, can you spy on people with this?"
I just laugh it off, bring it in close and ask them to speak up because I couldnt hear them while trying to spy on people :)

Then I explain how its not even remotely a possibility. They quickly understand when it gets in close.

Hi folks,
Brand new member here. I'm an advertising photographer/videographer and I've always loved flight (I have a fully manual single rotor RC hell that is a GIANT PAIN to fly), and I finally took the plunge and just bought the following (from B&H… where a large chunk of my income goes :p):
- Phantom 2 w/ H3-3D gimbal
- 2 extra batteries & a charger
- extra rotors, prop guards & landing gear

I'm planning to use an existing GoPro Hero2 that I already own (until the GoPro Hero 4 comes out! :) )

Now I'm left to buy an FPV setup, including (as best as I can tell… I've done some reading but I'm very much a complete newbie at this!!):
- video Tx
- video Rx
- antennae for Tx & Rx
- video display/monitor
- controller display attachment
- flight data overlay module, such as iOSD mini (optional)

Does that sound correct?

I've read on this thread that a lot of people seem to like the Immersion 600mW transmitter and the Black Pearl (either 32-channel or 7-channel) receiver/monitor. There is also the DJI 500mW transmitter (here: https://www.ushobby.com/dji-58ghz-video ... p-254.html).

I understand that the Immersion transmitter is more powerful (600mW vs. 500mW for the DJI) and therefore will likely have greater range, but are there any other advantages of the Immersion over the DJI? I feel like I might lean towards the DJI kit since it includes the Tx, Rx and antennae. Also I'm not sure the additional range of the Immersion would be useful for me because (at least for a while while I'm learning) I don't anticipate flying long distances away (surely not over 1km, which the DJI says it can handle!). Also, the fact that the DJI Tx/Rx SHOULD (in theory?) be designed specifically to work well with the Phantom 2 and be compatible without any complications… right?

Are there other advantages of the Immersion that I'm not aware of?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Best,

BP

So guys,

how would you recommend me placing the immersionRC 600mw transmitter?
I've seen a lot of different things online, especially when it comes to melting the 3M glue on the velcro or sticky strips.

BostonPhotog said:
Hi folks,

I'm planning to use an existing GoPro Hero2 that I already own (until the GoPro Hero 4 comes out! :) )

I don't reckon the hero 2 will work with the 2D or 3D gimbals...

BostonPhotog said:

Unfortunately, the H3-3D will only work with a Hero 3 or 3+ (H3). The Hero 2 is larger and won't fit properly.
I can't speak to your vtx questions. I think either one you choose would work fine. I have a Boscam and have no complaints.
Why are you ordering an extra landing gear? I'd hold off until you actually (if ever) need one.

dragonash said:
So guys,

I've seen a lot of different things online, especially when it comes to melting the 3M glue on the velcro or sticky strips.

Use a couple of strips out of a pack like this from 3M.... I stuck one on the underside of my P2 on the right side (as in the right side of the P2 when you are looking at it standing on it's landing gear in a normal position, not flipped over) and one on the side of the ImmersionRC av Tx without the large heat sink. Press down firmly for a couple of minutes and leave both for say 30 minutes before you stick the ImmersionRC onto the strip on the P2. You should be good to go then.

freefall101 said:
dragonash said:
So guys,

Use a couple of strips out of a pack like this from 3M.... I stuck one on the underside of my P2 on the right side (as in the right side of the P2 when you are looking at it standing on it's landing gear in a normal position, not flipped over) and one on the side of the ImmersionRC av Tx without the large heat sink. Press down firmly for a couple of minutes and leave both for say 30 minutes before you stick the ImmersionRC onto the strip on the P2. You should be good to go then.

never had a problem?

dragonash said:
freefall101 said:
dragonash said:
So guys,

never had a problem?

Not at all, just make sure to stick the Command strip on the side opposite the heat sink on your Immersion RC, and keep the plastic on it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20