I'm so confused, FPV, real time flight data, video downlink

Reaction score
I have my Phantom 2 with Zen Gimbal H3-D2 now for about one week and I enjoy the living hell out of it.
I logged in those few days about 40 flights total and I'm slowly getting better and more secure on the sticks.
I did successfully test the curse lock/ home lock and the fail save auto home. All worked flawless.
I also take it a bit further with every flight in terms of distance, the scary thing is:
A: I can NOT at all judge how far the Phantom is up or away from me.
B: I'm tenting to forget about the battery status.
So it would be nice to have all those datas displayed on my iPhone or iPad.

Well, I did lots of reading and it seems like I need something like the DJI IOSD mini or markII in order to see real time flight data on a IPad or IPhone. Is that all I need or do I need also this video downstream device to send the data to the IPad, how about a receiver for the data, I assume I'd need one as well or is this part of the IOSD units.

I also would prefer to install something which would work, at a later point in time, in conjunction with a FPV setup displayed either on a 7inch screen mounted to my remote or thru googles.

Since I'm an absolute noob in regards to RC, FPV and all those things, I'm getting lost trying to put together a shopping list for my needs.

Is there somewhere a 'plug and play' package available which contains everything needed to display real time flight data on my IPad with the possibility to upgrade at a later point to FPV?

It would be great if someone could steer me in the right direction.
I did use the search function and I was looking thru dealer pages as well, but as more as I read about it, as more confused I get :-(

Thanks in advance folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: I'm so confused, FPV, real time flight data, video downl

I'm new to the Phantom myself, so if any of the more experienced pilots differ with my opinion, don't be surprised :)

To get your feet wet in FPV with a stable platform while still accomplishing your goal of real-time flight data, I would stick to the basics (at least at first). To do that you need the following:

On the aircraft:
video transmitter (vtx) and antennae
iosd mini
required cabling

On the ground:
video receiver and antennae
display device (goggles or monitor)
required cabling
power source

I believe the most popular and perhaps easiest mode to get started with is 5.8GHz. I think you'll find an abundance of options in this range regarding equipment price and availability. Take some time and read through the Phantom threads both here and at RCGroups.com to get an idea of what equipment the experienced guys are flying and/or recommend.

Again, I'm new to the Phantom and have not even mounted my FPV gear yet, but as an example, here is the gear that I'll be using:

video transmitter: ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8
osd: iosd mini
cabling: plug-n-play cable set from firstpersonview.com.uk

video receiver: built into monitor
display: HySight Black Pearl 7" monitor with dual diversity receivers (5.8)
power: monitor batter provides the power
cabling: non required

Hope that helps in some way.

iOSD mini does not report data back to an iPad or iPhone. It simply adds a visual HUD overlay on to an existing analog composite video feed. So you need some sort of FPV system set up for that. Hooking up an FPV transmitter(tx), with or without iOSD mini, is extremely simple and straight forward. Just put the iOSD module between the video-out from the camera, and the video-in to the FPV Tx.

Muddie said:
I'm new to the Phantom myself, so if any of the more experienced pilots differ with my opinion, don't be surprised :)

To get your feet wet in FPV with a stable platform while still accomplishing your goal of real-time flight data, I would stick to the basics (at least at first). To do that you need the following:

On the aircraft:
video transmitter (vtx) and antennae
iosd mini
required cabling

On the ground:
video receiver and antennae
display device (goggles or monitor)
required cabling
power source

I believe the most popular and perhaps easiest mode to get started with is 5.8GHz. I think you'll find an abundance of options in this range regarding equipment price and availability. Take some time and read through the Phantom threads both here and at RCGroups.com to get an idea of what equipment the experienced guys are flying and/or recommend.

Again, I'm new to the Phantom and have not even mounted my FPV gear yet, but as an example, here is the gear that I'll be using:

video transmitter: ImmersionRC 600mW 5.8
osd: iosd mini
cabling: plug-n-play cable set from firstpersonview.com.uk

video receiver: built into monitor
display: HySight Black Pearl 7" monitor with dual diversity receivers (5.8)
power: monitor batter provides the power
cabling: non required

Hope that helps in some way.

Thanks a bunch for the info, your shopping cart helps a lot in putting mine together :)
I did some looking around and it seems like that the iosd mini is sold out everywhere. The iosd markII is in stock everywhere....?

I like that the battery and the receiver is already integrated in the Hysight monitor, I guess the only thing needed is a mount for it, right?

neil64 said:
iOSD mini does not report data back to an iPad or iPhone. It simply adds a visual HUD overlay on to an existing analog composite video feed. So you need some sort of FPV system set up for that. Hooking up an FPV transmitter(tx), with or without iOSD mini, is extremely simple and straight forward. Just put the iOSD module between the video-out from the camera, and the video-in to the FPV Tx.

Thanks for the Info, I think I will also buy the FPV at the same time, it's not that expensive and I think I will like it and use it alot. So that being said, the iosd mini should do it IF I would be able to buy it. It's sold out everywhere.
I could get the iosd MarkII everywhere but it is quite a bit more expensive, I wonder why? Reading thru the description of the iosd mini and the iosd MarkII I cant see differences.....?

COuld I use the iosd markII instead of the mini and what advantages would that give me?

Thanks a bunch.

Miniflexalex said:
So that being said, the iosd mini should do it IF I would be able to buy it. It's sold out everywhere.

I don't surpose you are in the UK are you? If so, I may be able to help you out. I struggled to find an IOSD Mini and when I did track one down in the UK I accidently ordered two! So I have a brand new, unopened, unused one that I was going to send back to the supplier however if it helps you out..... ?

goldfishrock said:
Miniflexalex said:
So that being said, the iosd mini should do it IF I would be able to buy it. It's sold out everywhere.

I don't surpose you are in the UK are you? If so, I may be able to help you out. I struggled to find an IOSD Mini and when I did track one down in the UK I accidently ordered two! So I have a brand new, unopened, unused one that I was going to send back to the supplier however if it helps you out..... ?

Thanks Goldfishrock,

unfortunately I'm currently living in Mexico, so I guess its a no-go.

Alex

Folks, could you please look over my shopping-cart, I think I covered everything but I'd like to get a second opinión from someone experienced.
I had a hard time finding an online shop with everything I need in stock, RCDepot had all I need.

Muddie mentioned cabling, but I cant see where a cable is missing?

It will be all assembled onto a P2 with H3-D2 gimbal.

Thanks a bunch.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,167

One hopefully last question.
I dont need a cable from the gopro to the transmitter, it's all integrated into the P2 gimbal setup, correct?

I think the cable kits are just cables with connectors. You should be able to put it together with what you ordered.

Does the Diversity screen come with a bracket to connect to the transmitter? It was unclear on the description.

I ordered a setup from them today (not the same as yours) but I did get the Diversity. Guess I'll find out!

If you're buying all that, probably good to get the custom immersion phantom 2 lead to connect it all up, easier with no soldering.

ladykate said:
I think the cable kits are just cables with connectors. You should be able to put it together with what you ordered.

Does the Diversity screen come with a bracket to connect to the transmitter? It was unclear on the description.

I ordered a setup from them today (not the same as yours) but I did get the Diversity. Guess I'll find out!

Thanks Ladykate,

yeah, the description is lacking detail.
It also does not say anything about a charger for the internal battery.

I hope for the best but prepare for the worst....

Which one did you get?

Ravecreative said:
If you're buying all that, probably good to get the custom immersion phantom 2 lead to connect it all up, easier with no soldering.

I was looking for a plug and play harness but ended up empty handed :-(
Could you please steer me in the right direction?

Thanks

Miniflexalex said:

Worst case is I'll hook up an external charger. I read the description and it said it needed 12 volts in. I can cobble something up for that. For the bracket, I may just put it on a tripod anyway... but it would be nice to have a bracket. The picture shows a bracket but the contents doesn't say.

I ended up buying the clone transmitter (TS806). I based that on my conversation with Le -- who answered the phone. English is his second language but he seemed to know what he was talking about. We'll see!

I was considering buying a whole airframe with all the stuff pre-wired but no one had any in stock - the OSD was backordered for those who offer packages. The world conspired to save me money. That doesn't happen very often.

ladykate said:
Miniflexalex said:

Worst case is I'll hook up an external charger. I read the description and it said it needed 12 volts in. I can cobble something up for that. For the bracket, I may just put it on a tripod anyway... but it would be nice to have a bracket. The picture shows a bracket but the contents doesn't say.

I ended up buying the clone transmitter (TS806). I based that on my conversation with Le -- who answered the phone. English is his second language but he seemed to know what he was talking about. We'll see!

I was considering buying a whole airframe with all the stuff pre-wired but no one had any in stock - the OSD was backordered for those who offer packages. The world conspired to save me money. That doesn't happen very often.

I had the same transmitter in my shopping cart, I changed it to the Immersion because of the vast reviews in this fórum.
Good luck with your purchase.

Ravecreative said:
http://www.pegasusmodels.co.uk/product.asp?type=latest&prodid=1008040

but they're out of stock at present - sorry

thanks for the link....would have been too easy if stuff is actually available :D

Yeh - LOL

mind you, that new fpv hub from dji would sort out all the connection problems
haven't seen any shipping yet though

Ravecreative said:
Yeh - LOL

mind you, that new fpv hub from dji would sort out all the connection problems
haven't seen any shipping yet though

You mean that one right?

https://www.rcdepothobbies.com/DJI_5_8GHZ_Video_Downlink_Transmitter_Receiver_p/dji-5-8vdl.htm

unfortunately it comes with the receiver as well which is integrated in my monitor.
So I would pay for something which I wont use. Anyhow, it looks like a nice solution for noobs like me :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers