I'm new here

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm Mike and I live in suburban Chicago. I'm in my forties. I am a private pilot and have been since the age of 17. I am a Police Officer at a small department about one mile from O'Hare.

I had zero interest in drones until my nine year old son got a small little deal to fly around the house for christmas. He was able to control and fly it so well, I found it fascinating.

I did some research and couldn't stomach spending $1K plus so I got a small Syma to start. I've flown that around for a few months.

I found this forum and did a lot of reading and research. I now own a Phantom Pro 3.

Thanks to everyone that visits here and contributes. I have found it to be a very valuable resource.

I mention my job and location because I have been assigned to complaints of drones flying where I work. All of my interactions with drone operators have been positive for me and the pilots.

Take care,

Mike

Welcome, I'm new also. How does it work with law enforcement? Do you have the right to take a drone away of you deem it necessary or is it more like a citation if people are breaking the rules?

My department has taken a very hands off approach with respect to drones. I have responded to three drone calls. One call was a fire department employee calling in concerned that the pilot was too close to power lines. I arrived and spoke to the pilot. The pilot related that he was flying in this particular area because there were no people or structures. The pilot heard the concern of the fireman and me and agreed to not fly.

Another call, I responded to a disturbance between neighbors where a small light weight drone crashed into his neighbors bicycle causing damage to the bike. The complainant wanted the pilot arrested for criminal damage. I told the complainant since the pilot had no intent to damage your property, there was no crime.

I work for a small municipality where my duties include keeping the peace and enforcing STATE laws. There are no state laws regarding drones. My city has no laws either. My entire city is within four miles of O'hare. So if push came to shove, we call the FAA. But I would rather not take someone's drone because some citizen was, "annoyed" by it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub