Im near 4 miles away from an Airport...able to fly the P3P?

Reaction score
In a practical way how the "non fly zones" around 5 miles away of an airport works?...Should I call the Traffic Control Tower before flying the drone or not allowed at all?

Ive not tryed yet...just asking...so if this is on DJI map maybe the drone is not going to let me even take off...

I also live near an airport, if you are that far you will be able to take off but you will get a messasge on your device telling you that you are on a no flight zone and to Be careful....at that point the restriction is for altitude your drone wont go any higher than permited at that distance from the airport, on the other hand if you are very close to the airport 1.5 miles or less your drone wont start at all
Do a search on youtube for airnuts, i have some videos flying near the airport where you can see the warning come up on my screen.
Hope this helps

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Ok, thanks, I think I live near 4.5 miles, very far...my other question is if I go to a public park that is too near 4.5miles away from the airport...I guess i can do like a low height flights, away from people and keeping safe all the time....

i would fly at least 5 miles from any airport.

Ok, thanks, I think I live near 4.5 miles, very far...my other question is if I go to a public park that is too near 4.5miles away from the airport...I guess i can do like a low height flights, away from people and keeping safe all the time....
you may be asking for trouble on this one.

I also live near an airport, if you are that far you will be able to take off but you will get a messasge on your device telling you that you are on a no flight zone and to Be careful....at that point the restriction is for altitude your drone wont go any higher than permited at that distance from the airport, on the other hand if you are very close to the airport 1.5 miles or less your drone wont start at all
Do a search on youtube for airnuts, i have some videos flying near the airport where you can see the warning come up on my screen.
Hope this helps

So what happens when you call ATC and tell them you are flying a drone 200 feet AGL 2 miles northwest of the airport over Lake Mary and the soccer fields and they say okay....Will the Phantom still fly? If I have "clearance" (really just coordination) with ATC does the No Fly software fail-safe still prevent me from flying?

Here is the explanation, if you are 4 miles from the airport you are on the altitude restricted area, thats why your phantom will start.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    247 KB · Views: 742
  • image.png
    image.png
    223 KB · Views: 760
Reactions: John Locke
Thank you, Ive seen your videos from YouTube, great videos, you have flown the drone very far away from your home spot...just driving the drone by the map...great...

In a practical way how the "non fly zones" around 5 miles away of an airport works?...Should I call the Traffic Control Tower before flying the drone or not allowed at all?

If you are sharing airspace with other aircraft, it is always good to keep in mind you have maybe $1000 wrapped up in your drone and you are sharing airspace with an aircraft that has at least a pilot and his priceless life is wrapped up in his extremely valuable aircraft. A collision would a life changing event.

Yes. If you are talking about Miami International, you are forbidden from flying within 5 nautical miles from the airport. Their controlled airspace extends from the ground to 10,000 ft in cylinder that is 10nm in diameter. You will need an actual clearance by ATC (air traffic control) to enter the airspace (starts at the ground). You also will need to remain in constant communication with ATC during the flight. The fines if you don't comply are up to $10,000 per flight and federal prison and confiscation of your ship is possible. I'd take a drive away from MIA personally. MIA has ASR (approach surveillance radar and will most likely 'see' you. But since you don't have a transponder they won't know your p3p's altitude which will make them unable to know if you are on a collision course with other aircraft. You should contact the 'Approach Control Facility' prior to flight inside the MIA class 'Bravo' airspace prior and during each flight. Search: "FAR part 91.131" to read the law. Fly safe, fly legal. Russ Miley, FAA certified flight instructor. P3P owner/pilot

Reactions: Mike Mauk
I live close to the LAX airport, my app says in red "No fly zone", the quad won't even spin up, will not take off...

No I dont live near Miami International Airport, I live near Tamiami Airport...it is an smaller airport but still everybody should follow the regulations of No Fly Zones and if you do then before call the traffic control...

Yes. If you are talking about Miami International, you are forbidden from flying within 5 nautical miles from the airport....
My understanding is this is incorrect on a number of levels. And that appears to be because you're applying rules/laws for registered aircraft and licensed pilots to drones and hobby UAV pilots.

Wtf????!? My brand-new standard just flew away

In summary, if the tower at Miami International is notified of a drone pilot's flight plan to fly within the 5 mile radius, he can fly within the 5 mile radius.

I few days ago I thought the pilot was required to get permission from the tower, but that apparently is wrong.

There is still some classifications of R1 where is not allowed the thake off and R2 zones where some take off is allowed at some restricted altitude

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20