I'm looking to start a small business.

Reaction score
I've flown Heli and RC Planes since I was a kid, and recently I picked up a simple gyro quad (The Blade ) which inspired me to pick up a Phantom 3 Pro and a few of my friends have asked about shooting some real estate Video and Stills, but I want to start things correctly and from what I've seen there seems to be a lot of misdirection. Dose anyone have any suggestions on where to go or what to do in order to accomplish this painlessly? Thank you for your time.

#Phantom3pro

Please put on your flame retardant underwear as you will get post regarding the legality of commercial work which is banned by the FAA at this time unless you get an exemption.
Until then mums the word on commercial ventures.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Please put on your flame retardant underwear as you will get post regarding the legality of commercial work which is banned by the FAA at this time unless you get an exemption.
Until then mums the word on commercial ventures.
Good luck in your endeavors.

How difficult would getting the FAA exemption be? Have any others gotten it?

You will need to look into getting a 333 exemption. Is is not impossible to get, but there is some considerable leg work to be done and possibly a wait considering the size of the request list.

Here is a list of people requesting one - http://www.regulations.gov/#!searchResults;rpp=25;po=0;s=%22section%2B333%22%2BFAA;fp=true;ns=true

Here is a list of granted 333 exemptions - https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_authorizations/

Reactions: Adam Longman
You will need to look into getting a 333 exemption. Is is not impossible to get, but there is some considerable leg work to be done and possibly a wait considering the size of the request list.

Here is a list of people requesting one - http://www.regulations.gov/#!searchResults;rpp=25;po=0;s=%22section%2B333%22%2BFAA;fp=true;ns=true

Here is a list of granted 333 exemptions - https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_authorizations/

Thank you for your info, and your time.

............ If you don't have an airman certificate, then that will be the toughest part of the process. You'll need one in order to use your exemption.
There is some talk that hopefully that requirement will be done away with in the new rules to come. More than a few of those getting the 333 exemption are doing so with this expectation in mind.

+1 msinger.

I hope all the knackin' fear mongers and other conspiracy type theorists read this so we no longer have to hear:

The (insert Govt. agency name here) are just waiting to ban UAVs and we'll never be able to fly again, etc.; blah, blah, blah; yada, yada, yada.

Or STATEMENTS SIMILAR to this.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Only people who want to fly planes will need a PPL under the new rules.

+1 msinger.

I hope all the knackin' fear mongers and other conspiracy type theorists read this so we no longer have to hear:

The (insert Govt. agency name here) are just waiting to ban UAVs and we'll never be able to fly again, etc.; blah, blah, blah; yada, yada, yada.

Or STATEMENTS SIMILAR to this.
Agreed. There is to much revenue involved to flat out ban them.

Reactions: dirkclod
Yes to above points.............. that was my point. The pilot requirements should be dropped with new rules for hobbyists, and even some commercial uses.

Adam, there have been about 600 Section 333 exemptions granted or in-process. Google "FAA Section 333 exemption sample" and you will find all kinds of tips, etc.

As LuvMyTJ says, the FCC claims that commercial work is banned. But there has only been one drone operator charged with using his drone for commercial purposes. (Raphael Pirker). And that charge was dismissed by the NTSB ALJ hearing the case because according to the NTSB, the FAA has no rules for model aircraft. The FAA has not charged a single drone operator after the Pirker case for flying commercially. Not one.

Drone Law Journal is a good read [link]

There is no FAA rule that requires a commercial pilot certificate to use a model or small UAS for commercial purposes. If anyone can give me the paragraph number of the rule, I am really interested, but you won't find one The FAA has sent "educational letters" that references §61.113 "Private pilot privileges and limitations: Pilot in command" which clearly indicates that a private pilot may not fly for compensation or hire. But there is no rule for hobby, model or small UAS operations for commercial use.

Just saying there is a rule doesn't create one. Please, if I am wrong, tell me what rule the FAA would charge an unlicensed commercial drone operator with. Fill in the blank: 14 CFR § _______.

Steve, is it fair to say your perspective is, whether the FAA *wants* commercial work banned (unless you have Sec 333 exemption) is irrelevant because their current rules don't adequately cover action by the law? I have no axe to grind here, I'm just trying to learn this and get the full picture, including the perspectives of many people with more experience than me. [emoji6]

Here's a link to approved 333 exemption, required if you want to fly commercially.

http://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_programs/section_333/333_authorizations/

This is only an interim step to get commercial activity off the ground. You'll see one of the downers is that the feds are requiring a pilot's license for the PIC (pilot in command) within the approval of every exemption. Eventually, my guess is once they get their act together, in a year or 2? There will be a written exam to get a UAV operator permit. But that's a ways away. Best thing for you to do to get straight information is to contact the FAA, they are very helpful, it's not the line employees fault management fell way behind the "drone" explosion. Staff are very easy to talk to.

It took a couple of weeks to assemble my 333 package, looks like is taking them about 3 months to approve. I do have a commercial's pilot license. Don't fall for the siren song of the crowd that will tell you there's no law, just do it. If the FAA issues you a warning letter it will attach itself to your name and may prevent you in the future from doing things legally (the govmn't never forgets). That's just my opinion and everyone here has one...

I definitely like the idea of applying for a 333 exemption so that you'll be in the front of the line when the rules change. A big bummer to me is how the exemption is directly tied to the actual device you'll be flying with?

I mean, I bought a Phantom 2 Vision+, intentionally getting "last year's model", to enter this hobby on the cheap (relatively speaking). I just wanted to get my feet wet with aerial photography. As I get comfortable and competent at it, if government/rules didn't get in the way, I'd do some gigs on the P2V+ until I could pay for a P3P and then go upward and onward from there. A lengthy exemption being tied to a device sure does crimp that style, doesn't it?

I must have read a dozen applications and approvals, one thing I noticed is that some outfits had to go back and amend their initial application, things change. So I wouldn't worry too much about equipment changes so long as amendments are filed but you should really contact the FAA and get it from the horse's mouth. Anything you read here are just opinions.

I definitely like the idea of applying for a 333 exemption so that you'll be in the front of the line when the rules change. A big bummer to me is how the exemption is directly tied to the actual device you'll be flying with?

I mean, I bought a Phantom 2 Vision+, intentionally getting "last year's model", to enter this hobby on the cheap (relatively speaking). I just wanted to get my feet wet with aerial photography. As I get comfortable and competent at it, if government/rules didn't get in the way, I'd do some gigs on the P2V+ until I could pay for a P3P and then go upward and onward from there. A lengthy exemption being tied to a device sure does crimp that style, doesn't it?

I've seen multiple exemption approvals listing several devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1