I'm kind of afraid to fly. How to avoid or defuse an "incident"?

Reaction score
I recently acquired a P3P, but I'm afraid to actually go out and use it!

This is not a question of flight proficiency, as I've been flying R/C vehicles for ages. I have no trouble with that. However, I'm scared of generating an "incident" simply by using my flying camera. I'm defining an incident here as any of the following:
  • People approaching in a hostile attitude because I'm invading their privacy
  • Authorities of any kind approaching and questioning
I'm going to be in NH next month and I want to fly around landmarks, covered bridges, cute towns, beaches, etc. But as I said, I might be too chicken to actually go out and do this.

I guess what I'm looking for are methods, checklists, or handouts that can be used to defuse an incident before it happens, or as it is starting.

I have a few ideas:
  • Prepare a friendly handout that explains the harmlessness of what I'm doing and just give it to the approaching person to read.
  • Dress like an authority figure. People assume that your rights extend beyond the normal if you look like you should be doing what you are doing. It sounds silly, but wearing a hard hat, a safety vest, and a walkie talkie could act like an invisible shield.
Do you do anything special to avoid incidents?

Reactions: envisionabove
I wouldn't worry too much about people being hostile unless you're flying somewhere or doing something to arouse suspicion. I wouldn't think the sites you're talking about would do that. I've had more curious people approach me than anything else.

Definitely check the Don't Fly Here maps, but if you're in the clear, go have some fun!

I recently acquired a P3P, but I'm afraid to actually go out and use it!

This is not a question of flight proficiency, as I've been flying R/C vehicles for ages. I have no trouble with that. However, I'm scared of generating an "incident" simply by using my flying camera. I'm defining an incident here as any of the following:
  • People approaching in a hostile attitude because I'm invading their privacy
  • Authorities of any kind approaching and questioning
I'm going to be in NH next month and I want to fly around landmarks, covered bridges, cute towns, beaches, etc. But as I said, I might be too chicken to actually go out and do this.

I guess what I'm looking for are methods, checklists, or handouts that can be used to defuse an incident before it happens, or as it is starting.

I have a few ideas:
  • Prepare a friendly handout that explains the harmlessness of what I'm doing and just give it to the approaching person to read.
  • Dress like an authority figure. People assume that your rights extend beyond the normal if you look like you should be doing what you are doing. It sounds silly, but wearing a hard hat, a safety vest, and a walkie talkie could act like an invisible shield.
Do you do anything special to avoid incidents?

Yep hard hat vest, ham radio with external mike clipped on shoulder, my neck strap looks like a side arm holster, dark brown work pants, light tan work shirt from past job with name, work boots.

Maybe I will rent a German Shepard with an attitude ;) j/j on this one.

A police scanner with an active channel turned up mite be better than a two way radio.

I know some use little yellow foldout sgins... From the ones I have seen, I think better wording mite be...habitat monitoring? Aireal surveillance in progress? Rescue training please stay back? Tree trimming in progress? Land surveying in progress.....I like the word progress.

It does stink we have to think of doing this and or doing.

Nice thread...my wife says I look like a park ranger. :)

Reactions: Fplvert
Anyone of one these three ensembles should do the trick....

ss_officers2.gif

clone7.jpg

I would surprised if anyone approached you while sporting this outfit during a flight.

Reactions: D4T_PoM
I live in NH, have for 44 years. You and your Phantom will be welcome here. Follow the FAA guidelines, don't invade privacy, fly safely and remember that some people are in the woods to get away from it all. Including drones.
Enjoy the foliage, buy our lottery tickets and be sure to visit the State Liquor Store for all your favorite beverages. :) Post your experiences in New Hampshire when you get home.
Keep one thing in mind when you visit, most of the people you meet in the areas you plan on visiting will be from a nearby State. We refer to them as Massholes so maybe you can figure out where they're from.

I'd not worry about it to much. I've had many people approach me with question and only one person saying something negative. Be prepared to answer questions about those subjects that people are concerned with. I'd not hand out information as anyone complaining won't care to even listen to you, let alone read something. Verbal communication is still better.

Check local authority for flight restrictions. If local authority approves, refer any inquiries to LEO.

My wife was working with her drone sub-contractor recently and had a permit to fly in a state park. She was accosted by a very angry woman. She told the operator to land the drone while she pulled out her phone and dialed 911 and reported the individual. Then she used the phone to record the person while she informed them that the local authorities had been notified of their behavior.

The person left after that and my wife told the LEO that showed up what happened and gave them the footage of the person. LEO left and they resumed their work.

Reactions: Vanjo Grale
When I go to someplace that might arouse hostile interest, I find the people in control of the area and introduce myself. I tell them that I plan to acquire aerial video for sharing with friends and demonstrate in a casual way that I am compliant with FAA regulations.

I don't deviate from my stated objective and I don't over extend my stay. I have found that by discussing my plans with those in charge that they invite me to the best shots and accommodate me.

I recently shot at a village fall festival. I asked for permission, discussed the safest routes, and spent an hour the previous day working out my shots. Everything went as planned and nobody bothered me.

Good plan... make the person feel important even if they're just a rent-a-cop. Maybe they have discretion maybe they don't but this form of flattery can't hurt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vanjo Grale
While flying from a local RC track near the river, I spotted this encampment in the riverbed.

Sometime later we were approached by a disheveled man asking if I had flown my drone in the riverbed. I answered politely 'yes'. He then told me he didn't want to see it there again and would 'take it out' if it ventured near. We politely asked if we had unexpectedly interrupted his masturbation session.

He left.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
One thing I can say is you better take it out and play with it before you go anywhere when you go to film the places you want to film you do not want to be learning how the bird flys . Have some sorta body cam to protect yourself other than that GROW A PAIR ;) you cannot caudal stupid people o_O

One thing I can say is you better take it out and play with it before you go anywhere when you go to film the places you want to film you do not want to be learning how the bird flys . Have some sorta body cam to protect yourself other than that GROW A PAIR ;) you cannot caudal stupid people o_O

Am I reading this the wrong way? :)
The Body Cam really sounds creepy. :)
Grow a Pair. :)
Yikes :) :) :) ;)

Reactions: 750r
I'm always looking for new places to fly with nice scenery. I don't usually have anyone notice that I'm flying my Phantom. The only time anyone comments is when they see me landing the bird, and then, it's usually positive.

Don't be afraid to have fun and enjoy your Phantom. Put a smile on, and be an Ambassador of your hobby.

Reactions: 750r
clone7.jpg

I would surprised if anyone approached you while sporting this outfit during a flight.

Bwahaha. This is great. I would love to see someone do this, atleast as a prank.

Am I reading this the wrong way? :)
The Body Cam really sounds creepy. :)
Grow a Pair. :)
Yikes :) :) :) ;)
YES YOU ARE o_O
Get your head out the gutter :p
I guess I did put a bunch of puns in there :eek:
:D:p:D:p:D:cool:

I live in NH, have for 44 years. You and your Phantom will be welcome here. Follow the FAA guidelines, don't invade privacy, fly safely and remember that some people are in the woods to get away from it all. Including drones.
Enjoy the foliage, buy our lottery tickets and be sure to visit the State Liquor Store for all your favorite beverages. :) Post your experiences in New Hampshire when you get home.
Keep one thing in mind when you visit, most of the people you meet in the areas you plan on visiting will be from a nearby State. We refer to them as Massholes so maybe you can figure out where they're from.

Being from Rhode Island, I am quite familiar with Massholes... lol...

I'll actually be in Loudon tomorrow and Sunday, shooting the NASCAR race. I would LOVE to be able to fly and shoot that!!! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers