I'm honestly distraught and so ashamed of myself right now. I've never felt so embarrassed/ defeated

Reaction score
I just got my phantom 3 standard two days ago, packed it into my bag and started cycling to the nearest open field. On my way I see a great bit of open land next to a canal, yep you know where this goes next. Instead of going to my perfect location I head over to the spot of land. I get out my drone ready for my first flight and because I'm in beginner mode I'm bound to a set distance, unfortunately this distance just happened to be right above the canal. All of a sudden the drone begins descending into the canal, I let go of the remote and legged it to save it but I couldn't make it in time. When I get back to the remote the left joy stick is locked in the descend position. So I'm sprinting for this thing thinking its lost connection or out of battery only to find out one swift finger movement could have saved me £440. I jump out of my clothes into just my boxers and dive in after the drone in 4°c weather. As you can imagine I was freezing my tits off, barely able to breathe and diving down this filthy 15ft canal looking for my drone in this murky water. After searching for so long I give up and then see bubbles of smoke coming from below so I dive into the spot and get it on my first dive. I was almost in tears of humiliation and defeat. The thing is completely destroyed, I don't really know where to go from here, I was just wondering if there was any advice on how to reduce the economic damage I've foolishly brought upon myself. Hopefully water damaged drones sell for something somewhere?

Wow! Sorry to hear that man. Truly heart breaking. Moment of silence for our fallen comrade!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Just glad I've been hitting the gym recently at least I pulled of the boxers. People watching me dive into the abyss must've thought I lost my nut. A moment of complete desperation haha.

Just glad I've been hitting the gym recently at least I pulled of the boxers. People watching me dive into the abyss must've thought I lost my nut. A moment of complete desperation haha.
t i
Try drying it off, get the battery out immediately and pack it in rice in a bag and leave it there for a few days-I have heard of people sucessfully doing this and getting back in the air, worth a try.

Sorry to read of your disenchanting first flight. A lesson learned the hard way. Phantom aren't like the Phoenix. These drones only sink in the very deepest water.
Try the rice crispie drone treat, see if that brings it back from the tomb. Likely a candidate for the Phantom parts drawer...

Get the flight log and see what, if anything shows up abnormal.

RedHotPoker

Distraught:
I know your feelings. My first crash I performed a CSC in flight,..after reading a thousand times NOT TO EVER DO THAT!!
2nd Crash I lost it in ATTI Mode,..on a windy day,..I knew better, but flew anyway.
I hope someone or something comes along to help you recover your baby..

It will dry and then just charge the battery and see if she flies. After drying it, it should be fine. Heck I hit a giant redwood once then a sign and mine still flies. Never use beginner mode again, it just slows it down :)

Yes when I got mine the first thing I did was take it out of beginner mode. Sorry for your loss awful experience, agree the safest thing you can do for your first flight is take it to an open park to get use to it.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

So was the landing caused by a left stick jammed down? What does the beginner modes (max?) distance setting has to do with the incident?

So was the landing caused by a left stick jammed down? What does the beginner modes (max?) distance setting has to do with the incident?
The beginner mode puts a radius around me that the drone can't fly beyond. I was heading forwards then all of a sudden the drone hit the ring that it couldn't pass, the place it just happened to stop was above the canal. I wanted to bring the drone down a bit closer to the ground as I felt uneasy with it being at its height. Then **** hits the fan and it carried on descending even though I let go of the joystick.

Reactions: matti
Sorry for your loss brother. It hurts bad to see such a thing happen.

He did mention finding the left stick stuck in the downward position upon returning to the RC. If this is in fact the case I would reach out to DJI.

Sent via Galaxy Note 4 & Tapatalk

Reactions: JBJO and DCDrone
Holly crap, glad to hear you are OK. That's the kind of story you hear the rescuer ends-up drowned.
Try the rice trick or do what I did.
Take out battery.
Do not try to start for at least 3-4 days.
Shake all the water out of it.
Use a hair dryer to blow hot air into each of the vents.
Turn upside down and shake.
Shake and blow dry for 3 days.
If no more drips coming out fire it up indoors no props.
Good luck.

Whether you are happily single, as a confirmed bachelor, or you have a miserable life and seek asylum... Hahaha
Either way, not nice to denegrate another's life mistress... ;-)

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Likely why opposites attract in the first place.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: dirkclod
As someone mentioned above, if the water was murky, you would do well to rinse it with clean water before drying it. Distilled water would be best. Any dissolved minerals in the dirty water will be left behind after drying and can cause shorts.

Open air and a fan is much much better than rice for drying.

And I'm very sorry for your loss. I crashed my P3A the very first time I flew it doing something dumb, so I know very well what you are feeling.

As someone mentioned above, if the water was murky, you would do well to rinse it with clean water before drying it. Distilled water would be best. Any dissolved minerals in the dirty water will be left behind after drying and can cause shorts.

Open air and a fan is much much better than rice for drying.

And I'm very sorry for your loss. I crashed my P3A the very first time I flew it doing something dumb, so I know very well what you are feeling.
I went down to my local hardware store and bought a TX 9 screwdriver so I can open her up and try to get her dry quicker. I highly doubt there's any life in it though, the thing was releasing bubbles of smoke, that's how I eventually located it.

Its a horrible feeling. I'm actually too embarassed to tell anyone what happened, I just said it landed in a puddle. There was a really nice family there though that got me tea and helped me a lot. It pains me almost every 10 minutes, it might sound sad haha but I'm a cheap *** student and rarely spend money on anything over £50.

One other thought. Gotta give credit to the OP for owning his mistake. Also for bravely posting his "erroneous" and accepting direct fault.
So many of these similar threads, tend to place a majority of the blame on @dji for designing and building a drone without better failsafe pilot error protection.
Perhaps showing piloting skills with 10 hours on the SIM should be a mandatory requirement to open the Go flight program fully.
Just thinking out loud. . .

RedHotPoker

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav