I'm getting bored

Find local real estate agents . Make simple buinsiness card on Vista Print that states Property and Ariel footage and your contact deets.

Then take those card to all the local real estate agents and drop them off. Try to do it in person rather than chucking them under the door or on their cars. Speak like you are knowlegeable in the craft of capturing the footage needed. Profit!

You will get to fly in locations that are always new and ever changing.

Find local real estate agents . Make simple buinsiness card on Vista Print that states Property and Ariel footage and your contact deets.

Then take those card to all the local real estate agents and drop them off. Try to do it in person rather than chucking them under the door or on their cars. Speak like you are knowlegeable in the craft of capturing the footage needed. Profit!

You will get to fly in locations that are always new and ever changing.
You do realize in the US you need an FAA 333 exemption along with a pilot license to do commercial work, right?. It takes 6 months to get the 333, there's a long waiting list. And if you're not already a pilot, that's another $10,000.

Last edited:
Yeah I kinda forgot about that. :( Perhaps not such a good suggestion after all.

It would have to be a very profitable business to recoup that initial investment. Wonder why they make it so tough to profit from drone aerial footage production?

You can fly in Federal Parks! Once!

I thought as long as you launch from outside the park, they can't do anything about it.

To avoid commercial traffic, ultimately just trying to limit traffic overall until they finish up the regulations.

I think it's really an FAA layup which gives traditional pilots a leg up in what has now become a booming industry. The FAA has already admitted that traditional pilot experience has no impact on a UAS operator's level of skill. That admission would seem to indicate that we're really dealing with a protected class of individuals, above all else, because they're the only ones allowed to profit from this explosion in growth.

Disruptive technology is supposed to support the creation of opportunity by reducing entry costs within a particular market, but in this case they've raised the entry bar by threatening legal action upon anyone who would normally not be challenged... as long as they are "flying for free." Aversion to class-based favoritism is exactly what the revolutionary war was fought over, but sadly - at least in the US, we're now all beholden to the will of technocrats who try to argue that we're somehow unsafe operators if we fly for cash... and some people actually buy that crap!

That's not a dig at you, Ramphex, just the folks on here who are constant apologists for the FAA and like to waive their 333 exemptions and pilot's license around in sacrosanct fashion.

I agree ! Probably one of the most well thought out and eloquent responses I have read in a while.

I cant even spell scarosanct much less comprehend its meaning. :)

Reactions: Ramphex
I agree mostly with @Tron_X assessment... with one minor exception (I hope I don't sound like an FAA apologist). In full candor, I am a licensed pilot (private, not commercial), but haven't flown full size a/c in years. I don't think the FAA is doing this to help or give existing pilots a leg up. They could not care less about most of us, particularly those of us in the private aviation realm. I think the FAA as usual was caught way behind on this. They have always been a slow moving bureaucracy, unable to keep up with changes in full size aviation... Much less keep up with the fast moving pace of this new technology. They were basically caught flat footed and don't have a good answer at the moment. Although, IMO there does need to be a happy medium between no knowledge of airspace rules and requiring a full on pilot's certificate. They have no other way to gauge someone's knowledge of airspace, so instead of creating a reasonable program (i.e. create some kind of online course/test to go along with registration and to receive a "UAV Pilot's certificate") they once again way overreacted and slammed into place the only thing they knew.
I'd be interested to hear other's thoughts on this (and maybe this isn't the correct thread)... do you think it is reasonable to expect UAV pilots to be required to learn some basic airspace rules and to show proficiency? Of course the other side of that is the fact that we are suppose to stay under 400 feet and according to existing airspace rules for full size a/c, no full size a/c should be that low anyway (unless they are landing of course).

Absolutely reasonable . I personally would enjoy it very much showing how proficient I am with the UAV. If there are areas for improvement in my performance I would like professionals to assess that and make solid recommendations for improvement.

Of course this perspective is predicated on the belief that it would be provided at a cost that the average prosumer drone flyer would not deem exorbitant.

Aircraft can fly lower than 500' but are encouraged not to, they should also keep 500' from person, vehicle and structure.

Yeah, pretty much. And it has retractable landing gear, a 360 camera and is a hex-copter. Seems like it's aimed kinda at the Inspire, almost.
You're feedback on the Typhoon H will be appropriate for this thread, please report back. I'm sure you'll be "bored" with 22mph top speeds and 4000' range. I would be. You'll likely see a lack of options in the s/w, like choosing a channel that's not busy, adjusting video link speeds to extend range, and camera setting options too. Oh, you'll love their compass calibration routine too. I've already been down the Yuneec path. I was underwhelmed, but they do have good service and support. I'm especially curious how easy that craft is to setup, installing 6 motor arms and props, and camera gimbal each time you fly. The setup actually looks more time consuming than an Inspire. Also, when I saw it at CES it didn't look possible to backpack very easy even though the motor arms are removable. Let us know.

I will never get bored with my P4. I am a photographer but the thrill of flying is amazing. I was flying with a buddy and he noticed my battery was low. I said, "I've only been flying for 10 minutes!" He said, "No, you have been flying for twenty minutes." The adrenaline rush compresses time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sim597
Any time our Government spots anyone trying to make money they block it. The need to have an airplane pilot's license is nonsense. Why can't there be a licensing department for drones just like there is for cars? You study, you practice, you take the test and you get your license. Then you have insurance just like auto insurance. This is not rocket science.

I guess I'm one of the exceptions. I get so dang nervous, I can't stand it, I actually start to shake a little, and honestly, I'm like a rock in like real world scenario's where one must act and not be a nervous wreck!

So, even if I'm in the backyard and goto 400' and 1/2 mile out through the trees, obviously I can't keep my eye on it 100% of the time like I should, but even over water at a mile out, again I know, but always turn around with full bars, scared to go further. I thought that now having State Farm insure it fully against a fly away, or crash I'd be a little better, but I'm not. What I'm getting as is I'm not bored yet, too scary to be bored, but I'm not in an open field.

If I were in an open area and getting bored, I'd certainly get the AutoFlightLogic beta (which I have but haven't updated the bird and remote with their firmware yet) and practice some autonomous flying, that you might really end up liking. ?

Reactions: MichaelS

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20