I'm gearing up for a Central Park flight

Reaction score
Over "The Pond" (or at least as much as i can)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.766679, ... Gg!2e0!3e5

gotta admit, I am nervous as hell just thinking about it being over a body of water. Naturally I would have to pick the right day and time - but it helps that I work right next door to it.

I'm running an FC40 with a walkera gimbal, go pro and maddog batteries.
Luckily I have not read many "flyaway" or "glitch" threads involving the FC40.

Tell me guys, you think it's a dumb idea to do this over a body of water? lol

dragonash said:

Usually. :lol:

But that doesn't stop anyone from making pretty epic videos.

I'm not sure about the statistics for successful flights yet though. :lol:

I flew mine over some waterfalls last weekend. I was 40 miles from home and forgot to calibrate the compass. At that the drone experienced some sort of down draft and went up to the props in the water. I was giving it full throttle up and it did come out and I got it back to land. I was taking stills and video. The video file was corrupt on the card and no pictures of it in the water but I did get a couple of cool shots of the falls.
The GoPro 3 started working fine after a couple of hours of dry time but the battery was no good anymore, I have spares.

cosmonaut said:
I flew mine over some waterfalls last weekend. I was 40 miles from home and forgot to calibrate the compass. At that the drone experienced some sort of down draft and went up to the props in the water.

A waterfall will generate a decent downdraft if big enough.

To the OP, just recognize up front that you are flying in class B controlled airspace which is a pretty big no-no.

dragonash said:
Over "The Pond" (or at least as much as i can)

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.766679, ... Gg!2e0!3e5

gotta admit, I am nervous as hell just thinking about it being over a body of water. Naturally I would have to pick the right day and time - but it helps that I work right next door to it.

I'm running an FC40 with a walkera gimbal, go pro and maddog batteries.
Luckily I have not read many "flyaway" or "glitch" threads involving the FC40.

Good luck. After you get out of jail, please post any video footage you managed to get before the LEO's surrounded you. ;>)

I liked your pic's and look forward to seeing your vids. I know that I (a rookie that hasn't even seen his first Phantom) is going to be very nervous every time I fly over water, but I plan to do just that, lots of it. ;>)

Half of central park is a no fly zone. i don't know where that pond ... are you flying 3.0 firmware?

I just flew through the George washington bridge :) I know they are big openings but i flew right down the middle... scary seems so small on the monitor... I feel like i'm drifting into a wall when i'm so far away... LOL

Maybe 1080p narrow is better or does everyone get better video from wider FOV

ianwood said:
To the OP, just recognize up front that you are flying in class B controlled airspace which is a pretty big no-no.

This might be a dumb question that's been asked several times... but is there a map, app, website, listing or something that tells me the location of airspace restrictions?

Class B is very generic it seems. Can you link me to somewhere specific about Central Park?

And I would "only" be 20ft above water. You would think its not that bad. Then again, I might scare the ducks ;) However, that never stopped other people from doing it smack in the middle of the park lol
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... one+movies

Not that I would. I don't like going to crowded areas.
I actually would need to scout out the area more. It all depends on how much walk through traffic there is and if I see some cops patrolling.

Hell, if I do I will straight up ask if I can lol Then bribe him with a picture!
The area is all the way south of Central Park (for those asking). It's called "The pond"

And for those asking what firmware im running, I havent upgraded anything since I got the FC40. Although I think it's all up to date. Basically I'm going by the saying, "if its not broken, dont fix it". Especially with all the issues I see posted.

If you flew a Phantom over George Washington Bridge traffic you deserve to go to jail. So irresponsible and exactly the type of thing that will get us all shut down.

[/quote]

Good luck. After you get out of jail, please post any video footage you managed to get before the LEO's surrounded you. ;>)

I liked your pic's and look forward to seeing your vids. I know that I (a rookie that hasn't even seen his first Phantom) is going to be very nervous every time I fly over water, but I plan to do just that, lots of it. ;>)[/quote]

dragonash said:
Class B is very generic it seems. Can you link me to somewhere specific about Central Park?

And I would "only" be 20ft above water. You would think its not that bad. Then again, I might scare the ducks ;) However, that never stopped other people from doing it smack in the middle of the park lol

I actually would need to scout out the area more. It all depends on how much walk through traffic there is and if I see some cops patrolling.

Hell, if I do I will straight up ask if I can lol Then bribe him with a picture!
The area is all the way south of Central Park (for those asking). It's called "The pond"

And for those asking what firmware im running, I havent upgraded anything since I got the FC40. Although I think it's all up to date. Basically I'm going by the saying, "if its not broken, dont fix it". Especially with all the issues I see posted.

Class B is very specific. It means all aircraft have to be cleared before entering that portion of airspace. It's not clear if it is all the way to the surface in midtown or if it starts at 1,100ft. You want to figure that out first. The NYC sectional is crazy busy. I was going to suggest keeping it low. As in below 100ft in close LOS to play it safe.

ianwood said:
dragonash said:

Class B is very specific. It means all aircraft have to be cleared before entering that portion of airspace. It's not clear if it is all the way to the surface in midtown or if it starts at 1,100ft. You want to figure that out first. The NYC sectional is crazy busy. I was going to suggest keeping it low. As in below 100ft in close LOS to play it safe.

I would say the 20ft height I mentioned before would be adequate. At the same time, I can only imagine almost all of brooklyn to be class B as well. Believe it or not, I'm more worried about the water lol

There's that and the NYPD, who aren't crazy about RC aircraft flying around.

[/quote]

Class B is very specific. It means all aircraft have to be cleared before entering that portion of airspace. It's not clear if it is all the way to the surface in midtown or if it starts at 1,100ft. You want to figure that out first. The NYC sectional is crazy busy. I was going to suggest keeping it low. As in below 100ft in close LOS to play it safe.[/quote]

HANDY TIP: Get in, get your shots. Get out fast. This will save you hassle from crowds/cops etc. Especially after you've landed... break it down, pack it up, head to your car briskly. Get home. Or as the say in the UK.... "Leg it!"

By the time paranoid Joe Public finds a cop, security guard etc to check you out, you're gone.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20