I'm Furstrated Over Local Drone Bans....

Reaction score
I find myself spending more time trying to figure out if a location I want to fly has a drone ban than actually flying anymore. How can a local park, beach or state pass a law that conflicts with the FAA regulations? I did a clip discussing this and am hoping that Part 107 helps to sort some of this out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: ptuner1
Its the same over here in the Uk, sorry but the way I see it is if you ask and are told not to fly in a place (but it is safe and within the law) then dont ask as if your phantom goes down in that area it then makes it harder to get access to collect.
eg: Not allowed to fly along the banks or over the water of a large ship canal, what they mean is it is not public land and they will not allow you to take off or land, then take off outside of the area and fly in to it at 50m above, they dont own or contril the airspace, I as long as it is safe to do so and your not breaking any data protection laws ect then you are not breaking any laws or rules.
It will get to a point where permission is needed to fly anywhere soon so good on you for msking the statment

Most government facilities and state parks are protected areas, however if you are outside a state part and fly over it that seems to be ok. You just can't take off or land in that area. Government facilities are different. Like ship yards and post offices and any government building... Stay away... Way away unless you want problems. Major bridges and airports are a no no too. Normally city and public parks are ok to fly from unless they have it posted for no drones. I fly a lot over wooded area and water... Yep taking a lot of chances on her being lost if she comes down but that's the name of the game. Over two years so far but it's not if its going to happen but rather when it will.... The only recommendation is keep you craft well taken care of. Keep a special eye on the batteries and just enjoy yourself and count your blessings.

The National Parks seem to handle it perfectly. They know they can't control the skies, so they don't try to. They say you can't launch of land. Flying is fine. They have signs making this clear: No Drone Zone - meaning no launching and no landing. The NPS has no right to restrict flying, and they even imply this in their rule.

If private land owners or towns or whatever want to restrict drones, they should take a similar approach. Just be sure to put up plenty of signs.

The 100' height rule in these areas as an idea is interesting and might be a worthwhile amendment.

Reactions: MadameLeota
I'm hoping some type of compromise is worked out with these local bans. Even if the park or beach set aside an area that was OK to launch and land, knowing we'll be flying within the FAA rules once we're airborne. The quandary is that they can't really regulate the skies so they're getting around it by banning the takeoff and landing area. This really troubles me since my taxes pay for these public areas and if the FAA says it's OK to fly there, I should be able to fly. These bans are a knee-jerk reaction to unfounded fears for safety and privacy. Honestly every person on that beach has a much better opportunity to violate another persons privacy with the HD camera in their phone from 10 feet away. My hope is that Part 107 will at least seperate the "hobbyist from the pilot" and we can make the case that someone passing Part 107 should be exempt from the local ban.

I'm sort of surprised that famous Area 51 north of Las Vegas doesn't show up on the DJI No fly website. Lots of prisons showing up in red I see, but not Area 51 which is green? Automatic anti-drone ray guns installed there perhaps.

Mack

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic