I'm desperate for the Headplay HD FPV goggles

Reaction score
I can't find these sweet goggles anywhere! I've heard they are the best FPV goggles on the market right now for the Inspire and P3's 720p video.

Carolina Dronez had them for awhile but now backordered like everyone else until mid-September or later.

Anyone have in good condition they want to sell me?

There not the best, these are far superior in quality but also price. http://store.sony.com/wearable-hdtv...-zid27-HMZT3W/cat-27-catid-3D-Personal-Viewer just flew about an hour ago and the image is probably the best your going to get today.
Whoa, for 4X the cost of the headplay goggles they better be good. Headplay seems like excellent value, I'm waiting for some too.
Jasonb, have you tried the Headplay HDs? If yes, what makes the Sony better?. They are definitely smaller, that's a plus, but how's the image compare?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim Canada
Wow. You seem very desperate. I hope your desperation for an inanimate object doesn't last much longer. Wouldn't want that.

There not the best, these are far superior in quality but also price. http://store.sony.com/wearable-hdtv...-zid27-HMZT3W/cat-27-catid-3D-Personal-Viewer just flew about an hour ago and the image is probably the best your going to get today.

They look amazing, but expensive however comparing the viewing experience to a 750-inch screen 65 feet away seems like typical sales guff to me, and worries me why they would do that, why not compare it to a 24" monitor or maybe a 50" or 42" screen, something that we can actually visualize. A 24" monitor 5 feet away wouldn't be very impressive.....;)

Not that I can afford to spend that much a some FPV glasses......... I will be interested to see if the Sony Morpheus (PS4 VR Headset) will be compatible, its due out the 1st quarter of next year.

I can't find these sweet goggles anywhere! I've heard they are the best FPV goggles on the market right now for the Inspire and P3's 720p video.

Carolina Dronez had them for awhile but now backordered like everyone else until mid-September or later.

Anyone have in good condition they want to sell me?

Mine are brand new condition. I sell them to you for $1000.

I don't why users don't understand that their IPhones have all the gyro tech and the highest quality screens. All they need are cheap VR Goggles. Either FreeFlyVR or VR Box, and the app from FPV flyer in these forums. I've bought it for my friends and myself. It rocks.

We are going to try it on an Inspire 1 tomorrow, not sure what the results will be like. But tell me why you guys think people should buy expensive VR set ups? (I'm new to droning..)

What am I missing ?

I don't why users don't understand that their IPhones have all the gyro tech and the highest quality screens. All they need are cheap VR Goggles. Either FreeFlyVR or VR Box, and the app from FPV flyer in these forums. I've bought it for my friends and myself. It rocks.

We are going to try it on an Inspire 1 tomorrow, not sure what the results will be like. But tell me why you guys think people should buy expensive VR set ups? (I'm new to droning..)

What am I missing ?
I'm very interested in how you do with that, let us know.

VR goggles have two screen images, and typically those two images were intended to be different images for 3D viewing. What we need for FPV is one image because we don't have two images coming down from the Phantom from twin cameras (maybe in 5yrs we'll have that). The Headplay goggle is just that, it uses the special lens for close-up focus for one screen, instead of twin images for 3D. To use the Go app with VR goggles you'll need another app that splits that into two images to use with the twin screen image VR goggles. I'm not sure if FlyVR or VR apps will suffice, but I'll be looking at those to see how well it works with the Go app. Let us know how you do.

What I'm doing is ordering a lens from RangeVideo as spare parts for the HD goggles ($15) and will try to make my own single display cheap goggle, using an iphone/android, Google Cardboard style. This method using the Headplay single focus lens won't need a special app to split the image into two images for VR twin image goggles. I plan to use it with a Dromida Omnius craft with camera.

However, one of the key reasons for NOT using a phone or ipad for vision is because a pure HDMI connection display DOESN'T need an app to display the image, AND... the latency is less because it doesn't need to reformat the image with a CPU after being fed serially via USB from the controller. A pure HDMI display is a better setup, and $250 for the Headplay googles is good value, given the 72 degree FOV and superior clarity as demonstrated on YouTube. The only problem actually getting them, they've been on backorder for months.

Reactions: witold
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1440274593.702087.jpg
im using the FPV Camera app, just choose the Goggles option and boom.

It works gr8. Can't imagine why I would ever buy an hdmi adapter and $600 goggles!

View attachment 28278im using the FPV Camera app, just choose the Goggles option and boom.

It works gr8. Can't imagine why I would ever buy an hdmi adapter and $600 goggles!

You'd have to use the new $250 Headplay HDMI goggles for a true comparison. You may be surprised. Twice the resolution/clarity and 72 degree FOV. The Fatsharks are old news, if that's what you're comparing to for $600.

Is your FPV Camera app only on IOS? I don't see it in the PlayStore. I don't see any that split the screen as you show.

Last edited:
$1000 when they only retail for $250 ?!?

I said I was desperate --- not batshit crazy LOL

:mad:

I know. I love my Headplays. I would only part with them for a good profit. ;)

Reactions: Jim Canada
They look amazing, but expensive however comparing the viewing experience to a 750-inch screen 65 feet away seems like typical sales guff to me, and worries me why they would do that, why not compare it to a 24" monitor or maybe a 50" or 42" screen, something that we can actually visualize. A 24" monitor 5 feet away wouldn't be very impressive.....;)

Not that I can afford to spend that much a some FPV glasses......... I will be interested to see if the Sony Morpheus (PS4 VR Headset) will be compatible, its due out the 1st quarter of next year.
Trust me Jay when I say the image is the best your going to get today for flying FPV. I have had the Fatshark HDs and he quality isn't even worth comparing with the sony's. I have not owned the Headplays but have read a few reviews online comparing the two goggles and the guys that posted liked the sony's, even over the cinemizers. The quality of OLED on the sony's verses the LEDs on the headplays is far superior, crystal clear image, much better than I expected.

We need an objective shoot out review of the Sony versus headplay HDs. However paying that much for Sony goggles, about the same as it costs to buy a phantom, it just seems wrong.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic