I'm Creating Ultra Low Latency digital FPV streaming for cheap (please advise)

Interested in OSS Digital Low Latency FPV?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• I'd fund it

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm very new to FPV quadcopters, but I've been following the technology for years. As I familiarize myself with the current state of the art, I find that the FPV is still rather lacking. It's either noisy analog, high latency digital, or extremely expensive proprietary streaming.

I am a computer engineer by trade, so I've started trying to remedy this problem. After a couple of experiments, I'm fairly convinced that < 50ms latency at < $100* is feasible at, at least 720p@60hz. Ideally I'd like 720p@90 or 1080p@60 -- I'm still experimenting with this.

* This price doesn't include a display, camera, and the AC WiFi router/access point I intend to use as the receiver. It does include a smaller Raspberry Pi or Intel Edison and a wifi module and amplifier.

My question is this: Would anybody be interested in this project? I'm starting to get a scope for this project and I'm thinking about a GoFundMe to cover the work and expenses. I aso might need help from a signals engineer since I specialize in hardware architecture and low-level software.

The goals of this project are as follows:
  • A hard median upper limit of 50 ms latency (may need a display that runs above 60Hz)
  • All components < ~$120 -- not including display and WiFi Router
  • Project will be uploaded to Github as GPLv2 or later

Did you ever end up doing anything with this? I am now looking into doing work with drones that respond to visual input data. This would be a massive tool in my production. What was the point you got to on this? Would you still be willing to work on it? What would it take to get it funded. What are some of the components you would want to use to make it happen?

Thanks!
Peter

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20