I'm Brand New Out of the Box

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First post.

I'm buying a Phantom Vision 2 with al the extras I've been reading about based on your experiences.

Today a real estate broker here in Grand Junction Colorado asked if I would do a flyby around a high end property. She promised more business. (Don't they all.)

My question is, what are some pretty solid commercial uses of the Phantom besides real-estate? I would think advertising, TV stations, photographers.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Re: Brand New out of the Box

Sadly commercial use of drones/UAVs is banned by the FAA at the moment. That hasn't stopped many from carrying on, but you're playing with fire. I saw a thread on here not too long ago about a forum member who was contacted by the FAA, who apparently has people watching sites like this for tips on those breaking the law and flying them for hire.

watch the real estate broker be an undercover federal agent. lol :mrgreen:

You do not charge for aerial photography, you charge for downloading, sizing, adjusting exposure, etc. on digital images.

Thank you for the thought provoking responses.

At this point, I think a business name like "24/7 Drone Masters Aerial Photography" would be counterproductive for shooting real estate and other commercial purposes.

In an article from the Arizona Republic, I think there is a commercial model for real estate and other uses from this guy Luke Piezina who doesn't charge for flying but charges for editing along the lines that [email protected] suggested.

Here's the article:

The Republic | azcentral.com
Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:20 AM

Valley real-estate photographers are using drones to shoot aerial shots of residential properties despite a federal ban on the use of unmanned aircraft.

Using lightweight radio-controlled helicopters to shoot photos and videos that show homes in context to neighbors, golf courses and other nearby landmarks, the photographers are finding ways to work around federal rules.

“Technically, I can’t charge for any of the flying,” said Luke Pierzina of Aerial Raiders. “I charge for editing.”

Commercial use of unmanned aerial vehicles, or UAVs, is expected to be an emerging line of business worth billions of dollars within a few years. That includes low-flying aircraft of less than 10 pounds all the way up to planes as large as commercial airliners that can fly above 60,000 feet.

The Federal Aviation Administration estimates that more than 7,500 small UAVs will be flying in the national airspace in the next five years.

Pierzina, 40, of Aerial Raiders, said he has used his radio-controlled four-blade helicopter to shoot real-estate photographs, snowboarder video and even a wedding on a remote mesa near Sedona.

The 5-pound aircraft with 14-inch blades can fly on battery power for about six minutes with a camera or 25 minutes without, he said. The FAA chose six U.S. test sites in December to review UAV technology and develop regulations for their use. Arizona was not among the sites chosen for testing, but it hopes to remain involved in development of commercial UAV applications.

The FAA is scheduled to set rules for small UAVs this year with a review period to follow before implementation.

So, I'm thinking of emphasizing:

Flying Camera rather than drone, hovercraft, sky spy and the like.
Quadracraft rather than drone UAV et. al.
Digital Image Processing rather than aerial photography. Frankly, that's a stretch.

No website, no fancy drone art on my van, only professional service business cards and no advertising is what I'm thinking will work best for now.

So what if they want an unedited, straight from card video you just took. You can't charge them?
Don't open the door for others to find cracks.

Good point.

The data from the card has to be downloaded, and it has to be edited so that unnecessary footage is removed that is of no interest. There is software that can do that and make the footage look professional. Fades, cross fades, add titles, cutaway to stills or other video, add music etc. The Mac comes with iMovie. I imagine PC's are bundled with video editing software. if not there is plenty of pro-am and professional editing software out there.

Then the data has to be delivered. A cloud like Vimeo would work or YouTube. YouTube could be an issue since it's public and shows other videos to watch after your client's footage is over. Vimeo is like $9.95 or something a month.

So, you have to download the data, then edit it and finally you have to upload it and provide the client with a link or a hard copy DVD.

Lots of stuff to do besides flying.

I still have to take the card out of the Phantom and download it to my computer. If they want unedited, so be it.....I still have to burn to DVD or thumb drive, etc. to deliver video! That is what I charge for. I have it stated on my rate sheet on my website that is is illegal to hire a drone for business, commercial or personal uses. So my flights are free and charge for the tasks that I have to do to get it to the client. You can view my rates on my website at: gregfinneyphotography,com

At this point, I think a business name like "24/7 Drone Masters Aerial Photography" would be counterproductive for shooting real estate and other commercial purposes.

In an article from the Arizona Republic, I think there is a commercial model for real estate and other uses from this guy Luke Piezina who doesn't charge for flying but charges for editing along the lines that [email protected] suggested.

You may not want to limit yourself to the real estate market only. Usually most realtors are tight wads and do not want to pay for anything, because it comes out of their pockets after the whole pie is sliced up. I do real estate work but I am not limited to it only, I also do video clips for web sites and digital presentations. With the advent of todays market for video...people are starved for motion photography...via the highly expanded smart phone and tablet usage. The rates of viewing on these devices has multiplied 10 fold over the last 5 years. There are many clients out there that need aerial, as well as ground video, to enhance their presence on the digital media market. Your proposed name may limit your market thru the eyes of the general public. Even though I operate Greg Finney Photography....my video production projects are done under the name Studio A/V. The best to you and your new venture to supplement your income....you just need to market it to potential clients...go out and do some public service shoots for the local college, fire department, local places of interest, or anything else that the general public utilizes. Do your edit, add some licensed music and post it on your web site.....also email potential clients you may know with a link to your videos...it will take some time, but you will get some jobs whether it be real estate or other uses. Good luck.

Hi Scooter and welcome. For me, video editing is going to be a challenging and time consuming part of this fun hobby. I'm looking forward to learning techniques which will turn my boring videos into cool, fun to watch family/friend films.

You may not want to limit yourself to the real estate market only. Usually most realtors are tight wads and do not want to pay for anything, because it comes out of their pockets after the whole pie is sliced up. I do real estate work but I am not limited to it only, I also do video clips for web sites and digital presentations. With the advent of todays market for video...people are starved for motion photography...via the highly expanded smart phone and tablet usage. The rates of viewing on these devices has multiplied 10 fold over the last 5 years. There are many clients out there that need aerial, as well as ground video, to enhance their presence on the digital media market. Your proposed name may limit your market thru the eyes of the general public. Even though I operate Greg Finney Photography....my video production projects are done under the name Studio A/V. The best to you and your new venture to supplement your income....you just need to market it to potential clients...go out and do some public service shoots for the local college, fire department, local places of interest, or anything else that the general public utilizes. Do your edit, add some licensed music and post it on your web site.....also email potential clients you may know with a link to your videos...it will take some time, but you will get some jobs whether it be real estate or other uses. Good luck.

+1

That's great advice that I can back up 100% with my experiences.

Skimmer said:
For me, video editing is going to be a challenging and time consuming part of this fun hobby. I'm looking forward to learning techniques which will turn my boring videos into cool, fun to watch family/friend films.

I'm with you, Skimmer. I'm just a 'hobbyist' who inadvertently stumbled on to this fun new money absorbing hobby. I want to be able to make videos that my friends "Ohh & Ahh" over.

I have trouble with these 'laws' that say you can't make money with UAV's, but you can do everything that would allow you to make money - except make money - :eek:

Scooter, you might want to changed your avatar so the "UAV anti-money making Police" can't recognize you when you unload your equipment to shoot video. :lol:

Jussssssssst sayin'...

scooter339 said:
I agree.

How long have you been at this? Any crash issues?

Photography: 27 years
Drones: 6 months

Only two crashes so far, both with my Phantom, both due to stupid mistakes on my part...forgot to check that a prop was tightened, and forgot to make sure the wifi on the gopro was off. Fortunately both were in my yard or close.

Are the Phantoms as a rule "rugged"?

In your area, has the flying camera business been a big growth factor for your established photography business?

Just an aside, I really miss the days when Kodachrome 32 and Exktachrome 64 were the bedrock media and a Nikon with three lenses could get you started. Wait, that's about the same cost as a fully loaded Phantom, right? Oh, I forgot processing and lighting. I guess that's about three Phantoms.

Sorry man, I do not miss Kodachrome or Exktachrome at all...pain in the butt. No tolerance for exposure...hated loading those 4x5 film backs...and the whole nine yards...I did it for 35+ years in my studio business before retirement 3 years ago. I love digital and as I mentioned before I was one of the first pro studios in Va. that went total digital in the year 2000. All the old farts in the VPPA assoc. said that they would never go to digital.....they all were out of business within the next 5 years. In the old days you had to either retouch a portrait on the negative with brush and dyes or the print with a mat tooth spray and colored pencils....pain in the ***...plus the time it took to do it right. I have gotten back into photography again on a limited part time basis and put a full studio and sound stage in my double car garage. Yes, you are looking at major bucks when you add all the strobe lighting, backgrounds, and background systems...to do it right is is around 10 grand... that is a few phantoms! I did design the studio where I could get my car in there when there are no shoots booked..thank god with all the snow and cold weather we have had. Nice to go down stairs on a sub zero day and get into a semi-warm vehicle.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj