I'm a dumb arse - but a very lucky dumb arse.

Reaction score
I've had probably half a dozen trips out now with my Vision+, all in Phantom mode. No problems at all. Thought I would flick it into NAZA mode and try it out.

Went out to show a couple of mates, fairly strong wind but thought it would be ok. Put it in the air and it was going all over the place... as the video shows, it was a pretty short flight. I panicked as I watched it fly across the carpark towards the road and didn't even think about flicking the Failsafe switch on although with the wind, it might not have helped anyway. I just wanted to get it down.

Anyway, after the crash, I realised I had taken off in ATTI mode, not GPS mode which I am used to. I am so lucky as everything is intact and working with just a few scratches on the top of the props after it rolled over upside down. This most definitely could have been a flyaway - caused by a dumb arse newbie. At least I have it in one piece to keep practicing.

Lessons:
1) Check the lights! Always. (I checked the satellites, about 8-9 so thought I was good to go. Doesn't help if not in GPS mode).
2) Check the switches! Always.
3) Don't fly if you think the wind might be too strong.
4) Check the switches again (or put it back in Phantom mode).

http://youtu.be/DEnhWXzJpO4

The key words "Went out to show a couple of mates," All kidding aside, we've all been there. Orientation is also something you need to put on learning list.

There's some good videos and a few printed versions of how to fly and practice patterns. Sure it sounds stupid but there are alot of great tips for manuevers and how to react in certain situations as you found out how fast things can change.

Glad it survived to fly another day - fly safe.

Martyman said:
I've had probably half a dozen trips out now with my Vision+, all in Phantom mode. No problems at all. Thought I would flick it into NAZA mode and try it out.

Went out to show a couple of mates, fairly strong wind but thought it would be ok. Put it in the air and it was going all over the place... as the video shows, it was a pretty short flight. I panicked as I watched it fly across the carpark towards the road and didn't even think about flicking the Failsafe switch on although with the wind, it might not have helped anyway. I just wanted to get it down.

Anyway, after the crash, I realised I had taken off in ATTI mode, not GPS mode which I am used to. I am so lucky as everything is intact and working with just a few scratches on the top of the props after it rolled over upside down. This most definitely could have been a flyaway - caused by a dumb arse newbie. At least I have it in one piece to keep practicing.

Lessons:
1) Check the lights! Always. (I checked the satellites, about 8-9 so thought I was good to go. Doesn't help if not in GPS mode).

My vision crashed 3 times, almost every time it happened when I was showing it to mates. So, I will be very careful next time I show it to anybody!

Yup I can join you in the ranks of dumb arsery.

Did the same just like you but luckily I noticed and flicked the switch to gps just as it was dropping so lightly touched the ground and back up again. I think I had so many easy flights I just got overconfident and cocky and didnt check stuff before take of.

Like emcsquar said its scary how a situation can change. But i'm sure neither of us will be making that same mistake again. :lol:

Overconfidence is a killer.

I had been playing around with ATT mode, Master 8 came over and asked to look at the screen so I did like so many times before in Phantom mode. That moment of overconfidence and being distracted can be seen here
[vimeo]98428478[/vimeo]

I did notice it was heading for the tree so pushed left stick up to clear it forgeting it would continue momentum in ATT.

Double-D said:
Overconfidence is a killer.

I had been playing around with ATT mode, Master 8 came over and asked to look at the screen so I did like so many times before in Phantom mode. That moment of overconfidence and being distracted can be seen here
[vimeo]98428478[/vimeo]

I did notice it was heading for the tree so pushed left stick up to clear it forgeting it would continue momentum in ATT.

Seems as tho the tree saved it from the inevitable, very lucky.

myvrodrocks said:
Cant watch the video cause of your unauthorized use of copyrighted music...

Realy?
Works fine my end and for Brettly.
You would think Vimeo would notify me.

Martyman said:
I've had probably half a dozen trips out now ...
Lessons:

Good story Marty.
How did you get the little "thought bubbles" (with the text) into your video? Is that a function of Youtube, or did you do it indepentently?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20