Illinois outlaws drones? I'm pissed as hell right now.

What I read it as saying is that the previous law you linked has now been expanded to include private operators as parties who can not conduct surveillance on behalf of police departments and such. I think some saw that as a loophole to the restrictions placed on those agencies...cops could hire you or me to do the snooping for them to get around the law.

OI Photography said:
What I read it as saying is that the previous law you linked has now been expanded to include private operators as parties who can not conduct surveillance on behalf of police departments and such. I think some saw that as a loophole to the restrictions placed on those agencies...cops could hire you or me to do the snooping for them to get around the law.

Yeah...that's exactly what it says. Here's the text of the bill (just found it). http://bit.ly/1kdWEqk

Misleading topic title. Many LEO's are prohibited from using drones for surveillance.

Here in California, they have yet to get a UAV off the ground by any agency that owns one, and there are several. They are all waiting for some kind of blessing from on high.

Elwood58 said:
Here in California, they have yet to get a UAV off the ground by any agency that owns one, and there are several. They are all waiting for some kind of blessing from on high.

There was a report, can't remember from who, that a FED drone was flown by the feds in the Dorner manhunt. I was told it flew out of March AFB, first drone used in the pursuit of a suspect in the USA I believe.

Military drones have in fact been used by law enforcement. They have even told us about some like the rancher in North Dakota who was stealing cattle. Also, a U.S. Air Force MQ-1 Predator unmanned aerial vehicle was assigned to the California Air National Guard's 163rd Reconnaissance Wing and flies near the Southern California Logistics Airport in Victorville, California since 2013. They are also used heavily in border patrols on the Mexican and Canadian borders. In fact last year they crashed one into Lake Ontario near where live between New York & Canada and they still haven't found it. They have asked for civilian help in locating it.

FredMurtz said:
Elwood58 said:

There was a report, can't remember from who, that a FED drone was flown by the feds in the Dorner manhunt. I was told it flew out of March AFB, first drone used in the pursuit of a suspect in the USA I believe.
I remember that too! It didn't surprise me in the least!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1