If you use prop guards, read this warning

On my P2v+, my prop guard "training wheels" did nothing to protect the props, on my maiden flight, when the aircraft tipped over onto the prop guards immediately upon landing. The 3" blades of grass on the softball field easily penetratred the guards and shredded two props. I've never used prop guards since, and I always hand catch!:cool:
It has saved my P3 props a couple of time on tree trunks on two tip overs. -- I don't use them unless I am trying to fly close to the ground in wooded areas or areas of building walls.

Show me one post of someone not receiving warranty care for any product at all because they removed a screw and put it back in
User disassembly of any sort involving removing any screw often voids many warranties. The use of torx screws is your first clue on many devices. Seals are often placed over screw holes, too. If the screw is critical and requires a certain torque pressure, removal and merely putting it back in will be insufficient to restore it to its original condition.

User disassembly of any sort involving removing any screw often voids many warranties. The use of torx screws is your first clue on many devices. Seals are often placed over screw holes, too. If the screw is critical and requires a certain torque pressure, removal and merely putting it back in will be insufficient to restore it to its original condition.
All this being said, DJI is not too shy about selling shells and parts-- gets them off the warranty hook and customer service nightmares. Most of the folks would rather fix it and get on with flying in lieu on sending it back for a "warranty repair"

It has saved my P3 props a couple of time on tree trunks on two tip overs. -- I don't use them unless I am trying to fly close to the ground in wooded areas or areas of building walls.
Props are cheap. Losing an aircraft while using them, to save a set of $10 props is priceless! :cool: They have their uses, but they are very limited, as you spell out. If they can cause VRS when installed, when the P3P was designed to avoid VRS without them, that's one less hazard to worry about in a quick descent!

Props are cheap. Losing an aircraft while using them, to save a set of $10 props is priceless! :cool: They have their uses, but they are very limited, as you spell out. If they can cause VRS when installed, when the P3P was designed to avoid VRS without them, that's one less hazard to worry about in a quick descent!
Agreed-- they wont cause VRS-- fully tested that.

Huh?

Ever heard of the Magnuson-Moss Act?

It says in-part:
Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty. This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions...".
You can be certain that a fault with any 3rd party part will be the reason for coverage denial, especially if the 3rd party part varies in any way from the specs of the branded part. This Act only applies to parts that the manufacturer also sells, and does not ever apply to any 3rd party mods that the manufacturer does not offer.

What they are saying here is basically if you remove the DJI pro guards you must use the original screws that came with your phantom & not the longer/after market ones that came with their prop guards, i think.
Exactly! (Edited for clarity):cool:

No,
What they are saying is if your motors [coils] are 'scuffed' by apparrent damage from mounting screws, you're also scuffed.

It's a very good idea to always read articles re modifications on your bird. In this case the screw length has been shown on numerous mentions including on my packet which came with the Propeller Guards. This Forum is very helpful too.
Thanks to all .

I'm reading through this and I wonder if some of you are reading the same OP as I am. Seems to be pretty clear and in English to boot.

Reactions: III% Streve
I'm reading through this and I wonder if some of you are reading the same OP as I am. Seems to be pretty clear and in English to boot.
It's almost as obvious as stating that DJI strongly advises against putting your fingers into the spinning props, and won't be responsible for any damage caused by doing so. Duh! :rolleyes:

Reactions: III% Streve
Sorry, but you are wrong about the burden of proof in the United States (I don't know about Canada). Once DJI has declared that using after market prop guards voids their warranty, you are done. Even without that declaration, the burden of proof is always upon the user to prove that the DJI warranty applies, which makes it the user's burden to prove compliance with all conditions of that warranty, and that after market guards did not cause the crash. It is DJI who has the final say so in whether or not you have met that burden, and whether they agree that it is a covered warranty issue. There is also a presumption that any time you make an after market alteration of any sort that you have voided your DJI warranty. :cool:

My statement is correct. But ultimately the decision in the US would be made by a judge or jury. We could right volumes on the subject and still get no where.I'll just mention that the warranty does state that it's void if modifications are made. However, DJI would need to show that these modifications, for some reason, where related to the issue in order to show that they rest of the contract did not apply.

Warranties are also different then many other contracts. For example, the Magnuson-Moss Act creates a foundation as to what warranties do and do not do. The MM act states that the user does _not_ need to show what failed and that that thing is covered under the warranty. It states that the user only needs to describe what happened. It's then up to DJI to show that the warranty does not apply. DJI would need to then show that the modification caused the defect and not they themselves.

There is also an implied warranty on the Phantom. That is, that consumers have the right to expect the product function as it was intended.

The US government stepped in a set up specific rules on warranties making them very different from just another contract.

Reactions: acherman
My statement is correct. But ultimately the decision in the US would be made by a judge or jury. We could right volumes on the subject and still get no where.I'll just mention that the warranty does state that it's void if modifications are made. However, DJI would need to show that these modifications, for some reason, where related to the issue in order to show that they rest of the contract did not apply.

Warranties are also different then many other contracts. For example, the Magnuson-Moss Act creates a foundation as to what warranties do and do not do. The MM act states that the user does _not_ need to show what failed and that that thing is covered under the warranty. It states that the user only needs to describe what happened. It's then up to DJI to show that the warranty does not apply. DJI would need to then show that the modification caused the defect and not they themselves.

There is also an implied warranty on the Phantom. That is, that consumers have the right to expect the product function as it was intended.

The US government stepped in a set up specific rules on warranties making them very different from just another contract.
Thank you for your clarification. Having read the Magnuson-Moss Act more thoroughly, I concede it does shift the burden of proof under the circumstances you describe. However, given your candidness that the DJI warranty specifically states that it is void if modifications are made, and the description of the current issue, DJI has already laid the foundation for meeting that burden in the current Warning, by clarifying the cause of the crashes having been found to be using the wrong size screws, whether using their prop guards, or 3rd party prop guards. DJI can also drive a truck through all the other reasons why the warranty doesn't cover a crash, starting with pilot error.

Personally, I have found DJI to be very generous in interpreting the cause of a fully documented crash, erroring on the side of coverage where the cause is unclear.

I read the original posters comments as being a warning to those who have put on prop guards and are now taking them off to be sure you use the original "shorter" motor screws and not the longer screws supplied with the prop guards.

I'm sure it's not too uncommon for someone to have not saved the original shorter motor screws and therefore when taking the props guards off, just screw the longer ones back in and screw everything up.

I've got the quick release prop guards on now but fly mostly with the guards off, but now for the fear of a cracking the motor housing shell I think I'll just leave the prop guard snap connectors in place.

I've got the quick release prop guards on now but fly mostly with the guards off, but now for the fear of a cracking the motor housing shell I think I'll just leave the prop guard snap connectors in place.
I had them on too and took them off. The weight alone of those clips is a lot. Take them off and put them all in a bag including the screws and see- heavy. My phantom feels a whole bunch lighter without them. I'm not sold that they prevent cracking either.

I had them on too and took them off. The weight alone of those clips is a lot. Take them off and put them all in a bag including the screws and see- heavy. My phantom feels a whole bunch lighter without them. I'm not sold that they prevent cracking either.
They are really like training wheels on a bicycle. If you don't have a specific need for them, don't use them! They clearly degrade performance, get in the way of video, and increase drag, and make a bigger target for wind. Now, if improperly installed or removed and the wrong screws used, they can actually cause crashes. Even the removeable ones leave large pieces of hardware behind on the craft that still degrade performance, when they are detached!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl