If you use prop guards, read this warning

Reaction score
From @Tahoe Ed posted on rcgroups:

WARNING!

DJI LA has received several returns about Phantoms that fell out of the sky without warning.

We have investigated those cases. In many of them we found that the users have installed third party prop guards or after installing DJI prop guards installed the prop guard screws after removal of the guards. The third party screws were too long for the installation as were the DJI screws if the prop guards were not installed. This has caused the screws to contact the motor causing it to fail.

This is to inform all DJI users that the installation of third party prop guards will invalidate your warranty and the misuse of the DJI prop guards will also invalidate your warranty. Please use the screws that were provided with the motors. If you use DJI provided prop guards then make sure that you install the original screws when you remove them.

I hope that this clarifies the use of prop guards. The DJI provided prop guards work when used as proscribed by DJI. Be conscious of the screw length.

From @Tahoe Ed posted on rcgroups:

WARNING!

DJI LA has received several returns about Phantoms that fell out of the sky without warning.

We have investigated those cases. In many of them we found that the users have installed third party prop guards or after installing DJI prop guards installed the prop guard screws after removal of the guards. The third party screws were too long for the installation as were the DJI screws if the prop guards were not installed. This has caused the screws to contact the motor causing it to fail.

This is to inform all DJI users that the installation of third party prop guards will invalidate your warranty and the misuse of the DJI prop guards will also invalidate your warranty. Please use the screws that were provided with the motors. If you use DJI provided prop guards then make sure that you install the original screws when you remove them.

I hope that this clarifies the use of prop guards. The DJI provided prop guards work when used as proscribed by DJI. Be conscious of the screw length.
Thanks for the heads up on this.

If all of that is from Tahoe Ed, it's not completly correct. DJI would have the burden to show that after market guards caused the issue in question. Also, I don't think Tahoe Ed is actually a DJI employee.

But it's still good to remind people that the screws are different a length.

Tahoe Ed has clearly indicated that he is an employee. No way to prove that tho heh.
That could be. I do confuse him and Blade Strike. They both seem to be vague about what they do. I'm under the impression that they do get paid by DJI for testing but I was not sure if they were more of an independent contractor or an employee.

Tahoe Ed is an employee. Blade Strike works for Ed as forum support, but he also has a day job.

I use aftermarket prop guards. I will take heed.

The main reason I use them is for orientation (red on the two forward arms, white in the aft). At a few hundred feet away I can no longer determine the nose from the aft...at my eyesight age!

Reactions: Jim Wilkinson
It's nice to hear but we've known this for a year or more.
As far as 3rd-party this n' that, it comes down to the screws so those putting on crack remediation devices should be careful too.

Reactions: Mako79
If all of that is from Tahoe Ed, it's not completly correct. DJI would have the burden to show that after market guards caused the issue in question. Also, I don't think Tahoe Ed is actually a DJI employee.

But it's still good to remind people that the screws are different a length.
Tahoe Ed works full time for DJI. I believe he is over DJI Forum support, but it is a full time paid job, and he often talks (on RCGroups) about how lucky he is to work doing what he loves

The main reason I use them is for orientation (red on the two forward arms, white in the aft). At a few hundred feet away I can no longer determine the nose from the aft...at my eyesight age!
You need to become familiar with the radar display.
It shows you where the Phantom is and which way it's facing.

You need to become familiar with the radar display.
It shows you where the Phantom is and which way it's facing.
Not everybody uses a monitor each time they fly. But yes, the radar is very handy that way.

Another danger of the prop guards is the increased risk of VRS (Vortex Ring State). Drone Camps RC made a vid of this and it makes sense.

DJI should really look at the way they construct the motor mounts. Why not tap the hole so it doesn't penetrate? Why tap it to allow the screws to go all the way through? Must be a manufacturing cost saving thing...

I use aftermarket prop guards. I will take heed.

I don't know what rule book DJI was following but In real life scenario (marine and aviation), the left prop guards should be red and the right green.

I wish the under-arm LEDs were like that at least but they seem only for orientation not navigation.

I've always considered prop guards dangerous for this and the fact that they may accidentally contact a prop and cause a failure.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I read this and took mine off. The phantom cracked underneath one of the motors the very first flight

Removing a screw from anything with a warranty does, and always has, voided it. Its nothing new. And nothing strange. Modifying any product with anything not made BY the company that offers a warranty also always has voided that warranty. This isnt rocket science!

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Removing a screw from anything with a warranty does, and always has, voided it. Its nothing new. And nothing strange. Modifying any product with anything not made BY the company that offers a warranty also always has voided that warranty. This isnt rocket science!

Show me one post of someone not receiving warranty care for any product at all because they removed a screw and put it back in

Reactions: acherman
I get your point though. You put 3rd party mode on your products, you are risking them possibly not working and may be even damaging the product.

In this particular case you have to weigh the pros and the cons and choose for yourself.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.