If you didn't have a 400ft rule would you fly like this?

Reaction score
I am not in the USA. So sad that in the great outdoors you can't have unrestricted flights where there are no aircraft. I had to clear 1400' just to get this. However I am not in an aircraft flight zone and am over a wilderness area. Just me and my P3S and Argtek Antenna.

Would you do flights like this if you could? Please no drone police answers. Where I fly it is legal to do so.

I am not in the USA. So sad that in the great outdoors you can't have unrestricted flights where there are no aircraft. I had to clear 1400' just to get this. However I am not in an aircraft flight zone and am over a wilderness area. Just me and my P3S and Argtek Antenna.

Would you do flights like this if you could? Please no drone police answers. Where I fly it is legal to do so.

I did not get sucked into that 107 thing so I don't have that rule. And yes, with an abundance of caution and knowing where I am and what I am doing I would happily fly Up There.

You mean, like this? Pushing up through the clouds to see undercast?

Yes, I would.

clouds.png

I'll be the Drone Cop with a gentle word of caution: Keep in mind that manned aircraft have no way of detecting your drone when its up there, and a collision could quite easily result in tragedy.

That's why there's a ceiling.

To answer the OP's question, I'd absolutely love to go up that high and shoot some footage. There have been countless times I cursed the universe when the perfect video was sitting before my eyes.

Yet, I'm just not willing to turn on the news after a huge air disaster and know I caused it.

If there weren't any rules, I'd certainly fly (at least once) like that. I'd also spend time in DC and get aerial photos of the monuments, travel to Yellow Stone and take overhead shots if the thermal pools, videograph my local sports teams, and do a bunch of other stuff. Too bad (or thank god) there are rules...

Everyone in the US has that rule. You agreed to it when you registered your drone.
Registering a drone in the U.S. does NOT require adherence to part 107. Only commercially registered pilots are required to do that.

Reactions: umneycreep
Registering a drone in the U.S. does NOT require adherence to part 107. Only commercially registered pilots are required to do that.

No, it doesn't require adherence to Part 107. It requires adherence to the rules you agreed to as part of registration, which are...

• I will fly below 400 feet

• I will fly within visual line of sight

• I will be aware of FAA airspace requirements: www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/airspace_restrictions

• I will not fly directly over people

• I will not fly over stadiums and sports events

• I will not fly near emergency response efforts such as fires

• I will not fly near aircraft, especially near airports

• I will not fly under the influence
To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance you have acknowledged and in accordance with a community based set of safety guidance. For further information on the safety guidance visitwww.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/fly_for_fun

False, as you can see by the quote from the FAA above.

Rules have accompanying penalties. What are the penalties for flying over 400 ft and not causing interference with other flights? They are only guidelines.

Rules have accompanying penalties. What are the penalties for flying over 400 ft and not causing interference with other flights? They are only guidelines.

Why don't you try it, let the FAA know, then find out. I'd assume a revoked registration, at which point you'd be flying illegally.

False, as you can see by the quote from the FAA above.

Your quote above contains the word guidance but not the word rule. The link on your quote leads to a website where the word rule occurs once. Clicking on that link leads to Part 107.

Your quote above contains the word guidance but not the word rule. The link on your quote leads to a website where the word rule occurs once. Clicking on that link leads to Part 107.

You missed this part...

To operate as a hobbyist, you must operate according to the safety guidance you have acknowledged

It could say "suggestion" and it wouldn't matter one bit. The part that matters is the completely non-ambiguous "YOU MUST". You don't follow an absolute demand with something voluntary.

This has been debated here before & been proven it is only a guideline I found a local RC club & they have set their ceiling at 700 ft.

Actually, the FAA site specifically uses the word "guidelines" for recreational users.

Dronesky is correct. This has been debated here ad nauseum. No need to continue on this. Besides, it's time for lunch! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj