If she gets wet, go one more step past drying.

Reaction score
I saw a post on another forum about a short dunk in the water for a pilot of a P2V+
He did the same as the average user would, opened it, let it dry out and then turned it on. It was fine for a flight, but later malfunctioned.

I thought I'd offer a bit of my experience with water and electronics, here. Alcohol cleaning of components can help save your electronics after they've been thoroughly dried. What many do not realize, when the water dries it can leave behind residue which can cause a short, usually not immeidately. The residue tends to attract and hold on to dirt and dust, which can become conductive. Using a few q-tips and alcohol, one can scrub between solder points and circuitry. With alcohol as both astringent and emulsifier and a bit of luck you may save your electronics.

DBeard said:
I saw a post on another forum about a short dunk in the water for a pilot of a P2V+
He did the same as the average user would, opened it, let it dry out and then turned it on. It was fine for a flight, but later malfunctioned.

I thought I'd offer a bit of my experience with water and electronics, here. Alcoholic cleaning of components can help save your electronics after they've been thoroughly dried. What many do not realize, when the water dries it can leave behind residue which can cause a short, usually not immeidately. The residue tends to attract and hold on to dirt and dust, which can become conductive. Using a few q-tips and alcohol, one can scrub between solder points and circuitry. With alcohol as both astringent and emulsifier and a bit of luck you may save your electronics.

Phew! For a moment there I thought you were getting an alcoholic to clean your phantom...

Since it's already wet, I wonder if there would be any advantage to rinsing it with distilled water before allowing it to dry. Might reduce any mineral deposits that would be left behind, some of which might be water soluble but not alcohol soluble. This would be in addition to the eventual cleaning with alcohol after it dries. Just a thought.

CYeutter said:
Since it's already wet, I wonder if there would be any advantage to rinsing it with distilled water before allowing it to dry. Might reduce any mineral deposits that would be left behind, some of which might be water soluble but not alcohol soluble. This would be in addition to the eventual cleaning with alcohol after it dries. Just a thought.

I used to work with water ingressed phones back in the days when pixels were pixels.
If you dunk your phantom in any liquids do NOT attempt to turn it back on. Remove the battery immediatley.
Get a clean tooth brush (used ones have chlorine residuals) and metholayted spirits. Scrub the circuitry board gently and leave to dry. It will evaporate. Clean the battery contacts also as it may corrode. Also check the balance circuitry in the battery and clean also with metho.

Reassemble and leave in rice bucket for 1-2 days and this will draw remaining liquid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik