Idle speed ramping up unexpectedly?

Reaction score
I did the 1.08 update. To retest the battery connection (see earlier threads about Invalid Battery and Abnormal Communication with Battery) I ziptied PV down and ran the throttle up and down some to simulate flying and vibration. Battery problem is still present (have an idea to work on that...will try out and report) BUT saw something else for the first time.

Basically, I had the pv in idle and, without touching the throttle is accelerated. Would have taken off or tipped over if not restrained by zip ties. This has been reported by others, too.

So, it seems that DJI has a lot of work to do. My wife is a product manager for an international company and the stories she tells me about products being released with inadequate testing, incomplete documentation, corrupt or incorrect software, etc. are all being echoed now by DJI.

They have grown too fast and released products too soon. They need to remedy this.

I understand you were checking for vibration in this case but for others reading, if you test indoors, you should take the props off. That way if you break the link, all hell doesn't break loose when your machine tries to go back to your last failsafe location.

Speaking of that, did you turn off the transmitter or break the link while it was idling by any chance?

If one were to turn off the RC transmitter, then P2V would lose signal, and try to fly home,
even though it is already home? Another bug, perhaps?

If it thought that it needed to fly home, it would rise to about 66 feet,
fly wherever it thought "home" was located, hover for about 15 seconds,
and then land, right?

While hovering, it might decide to do the "fly left and up" maneuver. ..
and return to Kansas, or the North or South Pole?

garygid said:
If one were to turn off the RC transmitter, then P2V would lose signal, and try to fly home,
even though it is already home? Another bug, perhaps?

If it thought that it needed to fly home, it would rise to about 66 feet,
fly wherever it thought "home" was located, hover for about 15 seconds,
and then land, right?

While hovering, it might decide to do the "fly left and up" maneuver. ..
and return to Kansas, or the North or South Pole?

Or 50 yards outside your kitchen window. Not a bug, just what it's supposed to do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tpzz54x ... arenoembed

In my case the transmitter was on and the link good. I just moved the controls to 5 n 7 position n shut motors off started back up and it was fine. Phantom was zip tied down to table top so it couldn't go anywhere

Over on the RC Groups Vision thread, it sounded like the 1.08 upgrade installer is supposed to have you re-calibrate the joystick axes. Perhaps you need to re-calibrate these to ensure that center throttle stick = idle?

Before this update, I have tried having my phantom on a table in idle (with idle, I mean motors running) for a while, and it did throttle up the motors every now and then, but never enough throttle to take off. It would throttle up, then go back in idle and then throttle up again periodically.

Maybe this is normal behaviour? Maybe the quadcopter is running diagnostics on the motors or something? I'm not sure, but my phantom is at least doing this. I did get a bit startled the first time it suddenly ramped up on the rpm, but it never ramped the throttle enough to take off. :)

Idle mode rev-up, perhaps an unannounced feature?

garygid said:
Idle mode rev-up, perhaps an unannounced feature?

Or... unintended feature... (where's that fly swatter???) :D

Or it could be the fact that in GPS mode the phantom Is expecting to see a change in altitude and starts to go funny when the throttle doesn't appear to have control of the height of itself (like it should in GPS mode)??

I done some motor on bench testing tonight (trying to calibrate a current sensor) and found the motors at first responded as I had expected, but didn't slow down with the throttle as I thought they would . . . Either way, my current sensor still needs calibrating :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dragonslair