Ideas for roof panos

Reaction score
For inspectors, how are you shooting roofs? Are you stitching panos or doing separate shots? I've been kicking ideas around and only horizontal panos work for me so far. I haven't pulled a 360 pano off yet, either. ...
4501cba546ee8eb62299d321d3321912.jpg
acfed221a95fb98169541fb7b5992d95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

HD video that allows HD snapshots.

Photos on hotspots that allows further zooming for closer post-inspection.

2D roof Mapping for larger commercial roofs.

I like the idea of panos but the situations where they are viable for me are limited, plus the image quality degrades slightly I think.

Reactions: aermale
I was hoping to use 360 panos as a marketing tool, but they're just so difficult and time consuming. My pc basically craps itself when I load up a 40 picture pano.
I appreciate the reply. That's about what I thought too.

The panos definitely add a bit of "va-va-voom" to any marketing material for sure.

For actual inspections I want the easiest, quickest option.. panos just added an extra layer of work that I don't really need.

Panos still look cool as f**k though even if it's a roof ha

Last edited:
Reactions: aermale
One suggestion would be to have someone else write your copy for you. I typically wouldn't make such comments regarding someone's writing but it appears you're looking for feedback. If you're looking to impress prospective clients, that text doesn't work for me. Personally, I'd move right on to the next possible operator. I wish you the best and hope my comments help.

How do you guys do 360 panos? I Have the images taken already and would love to use them on my website as marketing material, but I just don't know how to stitch them! Photoshop made a 36gb file for one pano.

Microsoft image composite editor I.C.E. As a great free stitching program. I can stitch a 25 panoramic image in about 3-5 minutes from opening the program to saving the file. Displayng is a different beast though. I use Panos as an add on for real estate. I offer them at $75, with a few front shots. I do minor post to make it Facebook compatible. Today, everybody has Facebook and thesee are a great way for realtors to post their property to their FB pages and give buyers an interactive 360 view.

As for roof inspections. I would never do a panoramic for that. Panos are distorted by their nature and that is not what an inspector wants. They want clean and crisp phots. I shoot a series of about 100 shots for a average size house roof jnspection. It takes me about 35-40 minutes and gives crisp images that are fully zoom able of all areas of the roof.

Reactions: BigAl07
I was hoping to use 360 panos as a marketing tool, but they're just so difficult and time consuming. My pc basically craps itself when I load up a 40 picture pano.
I appreciate the reply. That's about what I thought too.

40 Pictures for a pano? I can do a full 360 pano with no manual control points using only 19 pictures. If it is taking you 40 pictures either you are overlapping way too much or you are not using a P4 or P3. I use PTGui Pro for all of my panos and can process a pano within about 20 minutes from start to finish. This includes importing the RAW footage into Lightroom, post processing the colors, exporting as TIFFS, importing into PTGui, stitching the Pano, exporting to PhotoShop, doing a sky replacement for the top then importing into PTGui to create the website.

On a windy day when the drone gets moved around, it can take up to an hour to fix stitching errors, so the 20min was using a best case scenario. I do agree with everyone else though, a 360 Pano is the wrong product for a roof inspection. Standard pictures work best.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic