Ideas for P4 Aerial Ash dispersion

Reaction score
Hey guys I figured somebody might have a good idea here but basically I'm trying to use my Phantom 4 to scatter some of my father's ashes over this beautiful place my dad used to like to go to. . I figured what better way than in the air and just so happens it has a camera to capture the moment. But I'm having trouble coming up with a system to hold the ashes and release the ashes on command in view of the camera say pointed straight down. Ideally I would like to have free use of the camera and have the solution not block or interfere with you in any way

What do you plan to store the ashes in on the way to the destination point?

Jason. I am sorry for your loss.

I can only provide ideas - I have only just taken my first flight with a P4 so cannot comment authoritatively For cost,simplicity sake I would consider a clockwork toy mechanism (or kitchen timer or suchlike). You would wind it up for a rehearsed time to get to altitude/location.

My first thought is to have a clear container which contains the ashes, strung on one side of the container to one side of the skids and with the other side of the container connected to the skids through the clockwork mechanism. This mechanism could pull a pin to release the one side of the container strings so that it would drop and release the carried ashes. It would probably be neccesary to have a lid/cover strung separately to prevent problems with downwash.

Check out rc servo drops or rc clockwork drop on google. If you see servo examples, the clockwork mechanism could be substituted with obvious mods to make it fit.

C

Another option might be to store the ashes in a compartment behind the camera (between the landing gear) and tilt the camera in the full down position to make contact with that compartment and trigger some type of release mechanism.

Reactions: dgd3
Thanks for everyones kind words and suggestions so far.

I had tried a setup already kinda similar to what you suggested ChrisW. So I tied a medicine bottle for lightness to both skids attached at the bottom of the bottle and then a string attached to the top of the bottle that I simply looped over the front of the camera in as high angle up as I could get it. . This way the weight of the bottle was on the skids but the balance of the bottle depended on the cam looking up. . So when I hit cam full down the loop fell off and the balance or lack there of forced the bottle to tip over and the cam would also be in the right position to capture it. I thought i had it licked but with as fragile/sensitive the cam motors appear to be even the weight of balancing the bottle is pushing its max. First flight actually worked but with just the tiniest bit of dirt in the container it looked very iffy and just want something more locked down when the time for actual ashes comes next week. .

I like the thout of some sort of timer setup I hadnt thought of that.

Jason, my condolences.

Some things to consider:

1) The delivery mechanism must be robust as not to fail by either a) not functioning or b) functioning prematurely. Your idea with the bottle and loop could prove to be disastrous if there is a malfunction and the ashes are delivered unexpectedly.

2) Rotor wash. Unless you intend for the rotor wash to disperse the ashes, the "effect" may not be as you expect. Perhaps a fast reverse speed so you can catch the ash trail with the camera?

Anyhow, please let us know how this go for you and Godspeed.

Jason, unfortunately the weight of the ashes is probably around 5 lbs and the P4 will barely lift 2-3. It was a nice thought and sorry for your loss.

Oh yeah i was never planning on doing all of the ashes at once. Probably less than %15.

I actually just did this when my father passed away using a smaller drone, an align MR25P, it took 6 passes to disburse all of the ashes but it was great.

Here was a video of a test with flour to assure the mechanism worked. I was able to do passes and drops ultimately at about 20m and with a slight breeze it really spread the ashes nicely.

I'll look for the pictures I took of the assembled parts, I used a tuperware container which I hinged on one side then mounted a servo for the latch mechanism and used a large velcro piece to attach it to the quad.

Now I don't know that I would necessarily do this with a phantom 4.........but its a good excuse for a project quadcopter for the special occasion.

I actually just did this when my father passed away using a smaller drone, an align MR25P, it took 6 passes to disburse all of the ashes but it was great.

Here was a video of a test with flour to assure the mechanism worked. I was able to do passes and drops ultimately at about 20m and with a slight breeze it really spread the ashes nicely.

I'll look for the pictures I took of the assembled parts, I used a tuperware container which I hinged on one side then mounted a servo for the latch mechanism and used a large velcro piece to attach it to the quad.

Now I don't know that I would necessarily do this with a phantom 4.........but its a good excuse for a project quadcopter for the special occasion.

Nicely done, If you can find the pictures please share with us

The servo connects to an unused channel on my receiver. I have it assigned to one of the auxiliary on/off switches on the controller. The release mechanism is simply the servo horn rotated over the lid when latched, once the switch is triggered the arm rotates 180 degrees and the door is opened by a slight preload on the hinge and the weight of the contents .

Ya that was nicely done sir.

Unfortunately i dont believe there is any sort of accessory channel on a P4 controller. :(

Ya that was nicely done sir.

Unfortunately i dont believe there is any sort of accessory channel on a P4 controller. :(

I Agree with you, But doesn't mean non doable, I managed to trigger my servo by sticking a sensor on the front LED, When the front LED turned on it release the payload

Reactions: JasonP4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik