Ideas and questions regarding FPV for Phantom 2

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a Phantom 2 (non-vision) with Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal and GoPro Hero 3+ (Silver Edition). I want to add FPV and am thinking about the following setup:

Tx: AVL58 Lite
Phantom 2 FPV Hub
Monitor: Black Pearl 7" w/ 5.8Ghz Rx
Iosd Mini

Any comments?

In addition, I'm looking for a controller-monitor mount (e.g. one of these maybe http://youtu.be/orCi1wWQT6E) and was wondering if anyone knows of/is using a mount which is compatible with the windsurfer antenna booster (http://youtu.be/af4wD75X-b0)? Since the windsurfer add-on looks pretty bulky, I'm guessing that it's not really gonna work with the mount+monitor in the way.

Cheers,
Jack.

that's one way of doing it, but around here the AVL58 is widely regarded as the worst option. The other options are cheaper, easier, lighter, and more powerful. and that windsurfer "antenna booster" . lol just get good antennas like the FPVLR's and you won't need to put silly big *** foil crap all over your antennas.

have you found the "lowest prices on FPV components" stickythread? that should be a big help. look through that and respond here with questions.

Make sure you get the 7 channel Black Pearl Monitor, NOT the 32 channel. The 7 ch is compatible with the Phantom/Gopro set up, the 32 ch not so much.

HailStorm said:
Make sure you get the 7 channel Black Pearl Monitor, NOT the 32 channel. The 7 ch is compatible with the Phantom/Gopro set up, the 32 ch not so much.

btw: this is ONLY an issue with the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter specifically (not "gopro" in general). There have been no compatibility issues reported when the 32ch BP screen is used with a different transmitter (AVL58 or Boscam)

conversely, other 32ch displays such as the RX-LCD5802 work fine with the ImmersionRC 600

QYV said:
HailStorm said:

btw: this is ONLY an issue with the ImmersionRC 600mW transmitter specifically (not "gopro" in general). There have been no compatibility issues reported when the 32ch BP screen is used with a different transmitter (AVL58 or Boscam)

conversely, other 32ch displays such as the RX-LCD5802 work fine with the ImmersionRC 600

Thank you, you're right. I hadn't had enough coffee when I typed that. I realized later the compatibility issue is with Immersion line, not the Phantom or the GoPro.

jackc91 said:
Hey guys,

I have a Phantom 2 (non-vision) with Zenmuse H3-3D Gimbal and GoPro Hero 3+ (Silver Edition). I want to add FPV and am thinking about the following setup:

Tx: AVL58 Lite
Phantom 2 FPV Hub
Monitor: Black Pearl 7" w/ 5.8Ghz Rx
Iosd Mini

Any comments?

In addition, I'm looking for a controller-monitor mount (e.g. one of these maybe http://youtu.be/orCi1wWQT6E) and was wondering if anyone knows of/is using a mount which is compatible with the windsurfer antenna booster (http://youtu.be/af4wD75X-b0)? Since the windsurfer add-on looks pretty bulky, I'm guessing that it's not really gonna work with the mount+monitor in the way.

Cheers,
Jack.

Jack shapeways also makes a monitor mount which you can adjust the angle of the monitor.
http://www.shapeways.com/model/2179...-mount.html?li=search-results-1&materialId=62

To be fair and give credit where it's due, Shapeways did not design it. "QUESTPACT" designed it and uploaded it to Shapeways for purchasing.

Thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated!

QYV said:
that windsurfer "antenna booster" . lol just get good antennas like the FPVLR's and you won't need to put silly big *** foil crap all over your antennas.

Can you please link me to the specific products you're talking about. I saw some stuff from fpvlr.com but it all seemed to be for the Phantom 2 Vision/+ and not for the non-vision versions. I would like to avoid the windsurfer thing if I could. Thanks!

With regards to the controller mount - I have a 3D printer and have already found a suitable part online. So I'm going to print it myself. If that fails, I'll have a look at mounts.

After some research, I have come back with another setup in mind. I am trying to get the best bang for buck:

OSD: DJI Iosd Mini
Transmitter: Boscam TS353 (400mw)
Monitor: Boscam RX-LCD5802 (with internal Rx)
Antennas: ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized SpiroNet Antenna V2 (RP-SMA)

Again, thoughts on this are much appreciated (especially with regards to antennas because I have no idea what's best).

In addition (and this is probably the noobest question ever):

If I have an FPV monitor with internal 5.8Ghz receiver - can I decide not use the internal receiver and instead use an external (assuming the monitor has AV in). Specifically with regards to the Boscam TS353 along with the Boscam Rx-LCD5802. Because I've read that best range is achieved by using the combo; TS353 + RC305. At this point I really don't plan on taking my Phantom 2 out more than a few km (although, if I can get my hands on a suitable 'FPVLR' antenna - maybe I'll be able to?), but was just wondering if I had the option to swap Rx.

Would appreciate any insight.

Cheers,
Jack.

jackc91 said:
Thanks for the answers guys, much appreciated!

QYV said:
that windsurfer "antenna booster" . lol just get good antennas like the FPVLR's and you won't need to put silly big *** foil crap all over your antennas.

Can you please link me to the specific products you're talking about. I saw some stuff from fpvlr.com but it all seemed to be for the Phantom 2 Vision/+ and not for the non-vision versions. I would like to avoid the windsurfer thing if I could. Thanks!

Antennas: ImmersionRC 5.8GHz Circular Polarized SpiroNet Antenna V2 (RP-SMA)

Again, thoughts on this are much appreciated (especially with regards to antennas because I have no idea what's best).

If I have an FPV monitor with internal 5.8Ghz receiver - can I decide not use the internal receiver ... I've read that best range is achieved by using the combo; TS353 + RC305. At this point I really don't plan on taking my Phantom 2 out more than a few km

going to address the specific stuff above, not necessarily in order. The FPVLR antennas that apply to us are in the "5.8Ghz FPV antennas" section, not the Phantom section which indeed is only for Vision series.

As you can see from my sig, I also run the TS353 although I've previously run a TS351 and TS352. With the antennas I'm going to recommend below, I've personally been out a little over 1700m... that's over 1 mile and technically beyond LOS so the legality of the flight is questionable :) You mention going out "more than a few km" - that's a SERIOUSLY long distance for Phantom flying, I can't imagine really needing more than a mile, you may even lose RC somewhere there (I have upgraded my RC antenna for more range), I'm not sure how far the stock antenna's range is... anyway my point is "a few km" is VERY aggressive. that being said, your FPV can easily keep up using the below antennas:

On the transmitter: FPVLR pentalobe. This antenna comes with a straight cable/connector, so I added this 90-degree connector that I got from Amazon so that I didn't have to bend the cable, and now the lobe hangs down below the legs of the Phantom. This means that when the Phantom is FACING me, the antenna is NOT blocked by the gimbal/gopro and I still get perfect FPV signal, even out over a mile. This also means of course that you can't take off from flat ground, you need to find some sort of ledge like a rock or table so the lobe can hang down.

On the receiver: all you really need is the FPVLR 4.25 turn helix. It's directional, so you have to keep it pointed at the Phantom but that's never a problem for me. omnidirectional receiver antennas just don't have that kind of range.

You do NOT need the separate receiver module. Overall FPV performance depends mostly on the type of antenna... I really don't think you're going to get any different performance plugging that helix antenna directly into your LCD5802, vs getting a RC305 and plugging the antenna into it and going video-in to the LCD5802. I personally don't have the RC305 and my mile (1700m) flight the FPV was rock solid the entire time... bear in mind this was western Massachusetts, a zero-interference rural environment. in urban area all performance (RC control and FPV) is decreased. I still lose RC signal over the city around 1100m or so but honestly that's PLENTY for city flying.

I'd skip the RC305 for now, you can always pick one up later if you really want but I'd spend the $ on antennas first.

Forget the spironet antennas and go with the highly regarded FPVLR antennas. It'll save you time and money in the long run. :)

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97

Regarding the monitor, good choice. Except you can get the RC732-DVR for about the same price, or even less, and it comes with a power supply (the 5802 does not) and a built-in DVR. A DVR is always a good idea because you can record OSD telemetry information and have backup footage in case you crash your Phantom and need a reference as to where it landed.

http://www.banggood.com/RC732-DVR-7-5_8 ... 47348.html

http://www.banggood.com/Boscam-RX-LCD-5 ... 08273.html

The 732 is cheaper than the 5802 actually...

More info on the RC732 here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2291709

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2287841

I have a Black Pearl monitor but will probably be returning it as I just bought the RC732. Remember, the 5802 is a well regarded monitor...and the 732 is basically the same unit, but with built-in DVR. Mine arrive next Friday. :)

dptcalvin said:
Forget the spironet antennas and go with the highly regarded FPVLR antennas. It'll save you time and money in the long run. :)

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... duct_id=97

this. although I do feel like the Tx pentalobe is quite better than the pinwheel that comes in the bundle... that's why these days I recommend the pentalobe+helix combo, as opposed to buying the bundle. I'm trying to get him to add a new bundle with the pentalobe for $10 more (that's the price difference between the pentalobe and pinwheel individually)

dptcalvin said:
Regarding the monitor, good choice. Except you can get the RC732-DVR for about the same price, or even less, and it comes with a power supply (the 5802 does not) and a built-in DVR.

god dammit, you're about to make me go buy another new monitor... I already have 2 RX-LCD5802's :)

This one?

http://fpvlr.com/shop/index.php?route=p ... =pentalobe

I just ordered the bundle. Hasn't shipped yet, but I wish Tony had a phone number so I could add this to my order. I've tried the Contact Us page, but he might not get my message before it ships. Would be great if I could get it in the same order to save on shipping.

Ah, sneaky. I'm terrible at seeing embedded links!

:lol: ninjalinks

Guys, this info is really helpful. I really do appreciate it :)

@QYV: Sorry there has been a misunderstanding. When I first mentioned the 'windsurfer' antenna, I was talking about enhancing the range of the 2.4Ghz flight link between the Phantom 2 and its controller. I understand that you've upgraded your controller but this looks like a pretty involved process. Is there an easier way to get a bit of extra range? Some people using the windsurfer antenna claim to get ~2km out of it (which is why I contemplated its use). If there's no easy alternative, could you link me to a good walk-through for upgrading the equipment? (my father is an electrical engineer, so I don't need the cautionary tale - I'll ask him to do it if I can't).

Thank you for your suggestions on antennas, that's great :) Also, while I have your attention - I was wondering if you might be able to take a look at a noise 'issue' (I put that in quotation marks as I don't really know if it's an issue, per se) I've been having with my H3-3D (thread here: viewtopic.php?f=26&t=33266).

@dptcalvin: I did not come across this during my research - thank you for pointing it out! Just a quick question - does it have the same internal receiver as the Boscam? Because from what I've gathered via my research, it's best to mix 'Boscam with Boscam' (due to the nature of the frequencies emitted by their Tx and scanned by their Rx. There are various people who claim that the frequencies are '1Mhz off' the frequencies advertised online). EDIT: The reviews on those links you sent are horrible. People overwhelmingly in favour of the Boscam LCD5802.

Cheers,
Jack.

jack I know you didn't address this to me specifically, but imo keeping things brand-specific like Boscam-to-Boscam isn't really necessary. We have many people around this forum running mixed equipment... Boscam transmitters with Black Pearl receiver equipment... or more commonly the ImmersionRC transmitter and the Boscam LCD5802... as long as the frequency sets are compatible they should work fine. There is 1 well known issue with the IRC600 transmitter and 32ch Black Pearl display, they have some sort of weird incompatibility so now that it's well known the solution is to either use the 7ch BP or the RX-LCD5802.

I read those threads and indeed, people are bashing the hell out of that DV732. Apparently there's a DV701 but nobody has posted a review yet. I'm tempted... but now that I'm looking there are tons of 7" 5.8Ghz receivers with DVR out there... I'm also looking at a PVR-758.
I'm also noticing one of the guys says Boscam told him the RX-LCD5802 isn't even a real Boscam product and that they have many problems with people using their name for fake products. I still stand behind the RX-LCD5802 it's a good receiver regardless of who makes it

regarding RC distance: ah yes now I understand. indeed there's all sorts of ways to rig antenna boosters to try to focus and direct the signal from the RC antenna. The "stock whip" antenna on the RC isn't much better than the ones that come with the FPV equipment that we say are crap and recommend people upgrade.

I personally performed the following mod on my RC: swapped the antenna from the stock whip, to the FPVLR 2.4Ghz half-sphere helix. You also of course need this cable to complete the mod (FPVLR part cbl-01).
For some reason I'm having trouble locating the exact youtube video I followed, but this one is sufficient.. he's modding a VISION controller but the process of opening the RC and removing the gunk from the UFL connector is the same (your board will say 2.4ghz not 5.8ghz). Watch THIS VIDEO from 6:20 until about 11 minutes or so, you'll get the idea. then STOP the video... he goes on to mod Vision-specific items that we don't have to.
So basically you open up the RC (watch the battery leads), CAREFULLY get the gunk off the UFL connector ( I personally ruined the first one I tried) on the transmitter board (silver box) and that's basically it. Attach the UFL connector cable I mentioned above in it's place, and I just put the RP-SMA connector side right in the antenna hole on the RC and closed it back up. now my antenna port on my RC is a RP-SMA Female connector and I screw the half-moon (which I have taped to my screen) right into it.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20