ideas and help please

Reaction score
Im new to the site and have found some very interesting info on these phantom 2 non vision drones. Here is my question and once again im new to the drone world so any help is appreciated. I purchased a phantom 2 non vision with the 3d gimbal and have a go pro hero 3 already. I want tp be able to fly 2 miles or more and be able to have full control and vision. Please point me in the right direction on what all to purchase to achieve this without doing it twice. Also flying this far, will the return to home feature still work. I live in the midwest of illinois so everything is pretty much flat farm ground. THANKS A MILLION

I understand the factory range on this model. I want to add video transmitter and extend all these ranges immediately. Sorry for the confusion.

I am also in this position - just received my Phantom 2NV and waiting for my H4 camera. I've never flown FPV before.

However, I think you should ask this on the FPV forum. You will need better antennas than the linear (straight-stick) that is shipped with your transmitter/receiver package. I have seen a lot of discussion on the FPV forum about which antenna combination is best. Two miles is easily do-able, and with the right combination of antennas, I would not be surprised to see 5-miles.

The FPV distance is a minor problem that might be overcome but I haven't read about anything that will allow you to increase the battery power so you can fly two miles and be able to return or the distance that the Phantom can respond to the RC so you can bring it back. I certainly wouldn't want to only rely on RTH as the only means of getting your Phantom back to you. I'm somewhat of a newbie to but I've done a lot of research and have been on this forum for over six months now. You might fly it two miles while someone is driving you in a car but I doubt that is what you want to do. Also the latest firmware has cut back on the speed that the Phantom will fly at unless you fly in the ATI mode.

I've been flying FPV for about a year and some change now.
2 miles or more is a stretch and will be determined on your set up.

Keep in mind even with the below setup, there will be some browning (snow/interference) using FPV.
Unfortunately, there's no "HD clarity" going 2 miles on an fpv trip with your Phantom.

Flat land with no obstructions (I think you covered this already)
The higher you (the transmitter) can get, the better.
You'll also need a good video transmitter, I have the 600mw imerssionrc.
You won't be able to do it with stock whip antennas, you'll need 2 cloverleaf antennas (1 for the Phantom, 1 for your viewing screen or goggles.
You'll need a diversity LCD screen or goggles (they have two antennae placements)
You'll have to get a helical antennae too.
So you'd have 1 cloverleaf antennae and 1 helical antennae mounted on your goggles/LCD

This gives you the best of both worlds - cloverleaf for closer distance but wider angles (behind you, to the left etc)
Helical will give you that penetrating long distance, but is limited to the direction the antenna is pointing.

Diversity set ups work well because the automatically switch between antennas to whichever has the best signal.

You're in deep, son. It'll be one heck of ride.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik