Idea for the inventors

Reaction score
Perhaps for Phantom 5?

A gas powered quad.
take a small gas engine like that used for regular helos and attach one to each rotor.
now you add a gallon tank and have plenty of fuel for longer flights.

I figure if a man can run a car with four engines, why not a drone?

You have gas powered helicopters already. Try to read something about RC models and then make suggestions man :roll:

None of those are what he's talking about. All of them are single engine with collective pitch blades for control.
He's talking about having 4 gas engines like we have 4 motors.

I don't think it's possible as a gas engine is no where near as responsive as a 3-phase, brushless motor. Throttle control isn't as precise with a gas engine.

4 gas motors or one big one with 4 drive trains?

Will there be in flight fueling involved?

Got my people on it.. :ugeek:

I think the next logical evolution is to change the configuration of the four motors and connect some sort of material for it to interface to the surface of the earth... now that would be a breakthrough!

ktm-quad.jpg

Actually how about a single gas engine that sits in the middle and generates electricity for the motors!

rilot said:
None of those are what he's talking about. All of them are single engine with collective pitch blades for control.
He's talking about having 4 gas engines like we have 4 motors.

I don't think it's possible as a gas engine is no where near as responsive as a 3-phase, brushless motor. Throttle control isn't as precise with a gas engine.

Exactly - you would have to do it with CP since by the time your throttle responded on one of the arms you would have a tip over.

I suppose you 'could' do it with four engines all running idle up and control everything from pitch - you have to get airborne first before you went idle up so it would be manual lift off.

Ohhh... and who fancies autorotating for landing :shock:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl