Idaho Drone Ban

Reaction score
Hello from Idaho. I'm a new drone owner, as of two weeks ago. Today I discovered Idaho State Law 21-213. It appears to make all drone photography illegal. Which is typically my luck in life. Anyone familiar with this have any insight to share? ...or know anyone who wants to buy a very slightly used P4P?

:(

I think it means you can't film people or property for publication without consent. I'm no lawyer but it doesn't say all drones with cameras are illegal. lol but if you want to sell cheap [emoji12]

I think it means you can't film people or property for publication without consent. I'm no lawyer but it doesn't say all drones with cameras are illegal. lol but if you want to sell cheap [emoji12]
Not only that, but if someone were ever to be charged under this law and had pockets deep enough to fight it, the law would certainly be found to be unconstitutional.

I agree with you Mr. Salty, unfortunately, my pockets would not be classified by any stretch of the definition, to be deep. :(

Reactions: Budman
@bow, "publication or otherwise publicly disseminating" such as Facebook and YouTube....

Actually, when seeking protection under the US Constitution, 1st Amendment, you actually _want_ to show that you are disseminating the photo or video. Keeping it to yourself works against you in your defense of freedom of speech.

And this is different from when a news helicopter broadcast's video (you do have those in Idaho right?)how?

Stupid laws.
Not different at all, other than that is legal and from a drone it isn't. Definitely disappointed in my state right now.

Here's the link to the law: Section 21-213 – Idaho State Legislature
https://legislature.idaho.gov/statutesrules/idstat/title21/t21ch2/sect21-213/
Written consent for people as well as buildings mentioned. Sounds like you could fly one of the airplane-looking drones since model aircraft are okay for recreation, just no drones. Don't know how they figure FAA airspace into this. Sounds like Idaho wants to own it.

Fly 'em while you still got 'em. Just not in Idaho now without written consent for anything and everyone in the scene that may lay claim to being a "Specifically targeted person(s) or specifically targeted private property."

Good grief.

So by reading that law it sounds like you can fly wherever you want. Just don't use it to "photograph an individual or private property". So you can get some cool nature shots on public land. Make sure people's faces are not distinguishable and I think it would be okay to "publish" on youtube. (but i am not a lawyer of course) In order for them to bring suit against you I think they would need to have a "victim". If they can't tell who the victim is because you are at 350ft. then you might be able to get away with it. I believe this law was put in place for "privacy" issues. And Ranchers and farmers who dont want prying eyes over their place. Remember, Idaho is very anti-big brother. Strong militia stronghold up there. So be careful where you shoot. LOL

Reactions: BamaMania
Hello from Idaho. I'm a new drone owner, as of two weeks ago. Today I discovered Idaho State Law 21-213. It appears to make all drone photography illegal. Which is typically my luck in life. Anyone familiar with this have any insight to share? ...or know anyone who wants to buy a very slightly used P4P?

:(
Go fly in front of police station. You can't record does not mean you can't fly. Pressing the little red button on the APP seems to be the illegal act if anything. After several lawsuits you win since you did NOT record and they arrested you for recording you should be safe. I remember after winning a dozen tickets in court, I could do an illegal U turn in front of cops and they wouldn't bother me.

Here's the link to the law: Section 21-213 – Idaho State Legislature
Written consent for people as well as buildings mentioned. Sounds like you could fly one of the airplane-looking drones since model aircraft are okay for recreation, just no drones. Don't know how they figure FAA airspace into this. Sounds like Idaho wants to own it.

Fly 'em while you still got 'em. Just not in Idaho now without written consent for anything and everyone in the scene that may lay claim to being a "Specifically targeted person(s) or specifically targeted private property."

Good grief.
I'm wondering if "specifically targeted" means that I went out to film Joe Smith, or Joe Smith's land and specifically targeted him. Think it's defensible if you have no idea whose land you are on, that you can't possible have specifically targeted it?

I'm wondering if "specifically targeted" means that I went out to film Joe Smith, or Joe Smith's land and specifically targeted him. Think it's defensible if you have no idea whose land you are on, that you can't possible have specifically targeted it?
so litchi and other type apps could be a problem as you specifically set way points.

Yeah, I'm not in favor of that word "specifically targeted" either. Another one of those gray legal matters where Joe Smith could say: "That drone guy had his drone right in my face, and targeting me and my family or house." and then you get into the "He said. She said." stuff with some cop or judge (Who may not like drones either.).

I dunno where this is all heading, but I think the guy who said keep buildings and people out of the shots in Idaho and you 'might' be safe. Unless someone thinks your targeting their private property without consent when they spot you flying over it.

What a state. Welcome to the new and improved Idaho. :(

Yeah, I'm not in favor of that word "specifically targeted" either. Another one of those gray legal matters where Joe Smith could say: "That drone guy had his drone right in my face, and targeting me and my family or house." and then you get into the "He said. She said." stuff with some cop or judge (Who may not like drones either.).

I dunno where this is all heading, but I think the guy who said keep buildings and people out of the shots in Idaho and you 'might' be safe. Unless someone thinks your targeting their private property without consent when they spot you flying over it.

What a state. Welcome to the new and improved Idaho. :(
Maybe it is for charging cops who shoot at drones using them for targets.

the advantage is you can program it NOT to come back where the cops are waiting for it.
Guess we need a flee option instead of a follow one just to be safe.

"Flee & Land Elsewhere" should be in GO 5. lol! :D

"Me? I'm just sitting here watching "Spaceballs" on Netflix on this Apple tablet thingy." Meanwhile, the drone lands a mile off in the sunset somewhere.

Reactions: Slackware
"Flee & Land Elsewhere" should be in GO 5. lol! :D

"Me? I'm just sitting here watching "Spaceballs" on Netflix on this Apple tablet thingy." Meanwhile, the drone lands a mile off in the sunset somewhere.

Guess the P5 will need file encryption on camera sd card so they can't access the video files.
Maybe a mission impossible self destruct if cops try to read it without password.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik