Ice crystals on P3 arms after foggy flight

emot-cop.gif
You guys need to simmer down a bit before this boils over and warnings are handed out.
mod.gif

While there are NO LAWS... YET, regarding hobby rc flights that doesn't mean you should not practice safe flying.
The 'guidelines' being used are not laws but there is no reason to not follow them.
By ignoring them you only put your hobby at more risk for regulations & laws.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

With all due respect, the ONLY laws applicable to drones are 91.13 as decided by the Pirker Case:

Federal drone law.

In November 2014, the NTSB held (in the Pirker case...), that drones are “aircraft,” as the word is defined under federal statutes and regulations, and therefore, FAR 91.13 (the regulatory prohibition of careless or reckless aircraft operations) applies to drones. Although the FAA asserts that all FARs apply to drones, in the NTSB’s decision, the Board did not expressly hold that any other FAR applies to drones. The relevant portion of FAR 91.13 reads:

“No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.”

At this writing, there exist no currently enforceable federal statutes or regulations that apply to the general public other than [1] FAR 91.13, (in accordance with the NTSB’s November 2014 ruling) and [2] all FARs that prohibit or restrict all aircraft from flying within certain airspace.
Drone Law Journal

Peter Sachs says that flying blind (i.e. fling in fog) is in violation of FAR 91.13

I'm not a lawyer, but one tried case doesn't make law. It can be used as precedent, but it did not create any law.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

I'm not a lawyer, but one tried case doesn't make law. It can be used as precedent, but it did not create any law.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk Pro

Have you read the link?

At this writing, there exist no currently enforceable federal statutes or regulations that apply to the general public other than [1] FAR 91.13, (in accordance with the NTSB’s November 2014 ruling) and [2] all FARs that prohibit or restrict all aircraft from flying within certain airspace.
Drone Law Journal

It seems quite clear to me.

Reactions: ParsnipHysorter
Have you read the link?

Drone Law Journal

It seems quite clear to me.
Exactly, yet these guys keep going on as if it were law.

With all due respect, the ONLY laws applicable to drones are 91.13 as decided by the Pirker Case:

Peter Sachs says that flying blind (i.e. fling in fog) is in violation of FAR 91.13

Good thread for sure. The misconception here for you guys is the term "Fog" because there is a big difference in what you are reading compared to what you are seeing. Much of the light Coastal Fog is what most people would call a mist. Yes it can be thick at times but what we have here in the video is light coastal fog or mist that has a visibility rating of probably 5 miles or more, so the UAV was never out of the line of sight. Here on the Pacific Coast we have some great opertunities to get some great shots but with a little seen hazard. The fog can be so thin that it can't be seen or it may be in a moisture layer 20 feet thick and 10 feet off of the ground. So he flew through the thin fog layer and found the moisture. It wasn't unsafe and as long as the drone is dried out, it will still be in good flying condition.
After flying along the Oregon Coast last week, the wife's blow dryer came in handy, the fog was about 7 feet off of the ground. I put my hand up and it got wet but below the 7 was cool and dry. I sure don't like flying my P3 in damp conditions but the humpback whales are migrating and I had 5 in front of me at one time rolling and blowing along the coastline.

Good thread for sure. The misconception here for you guys is the term "Fog" because there is a big difference in what you are reading compared to what you are seeing. Much of the light Coastal Fog is what most people would call a mist. Yes it can be thick at times but what we have here in the video is light coastal fog or mist that has a visibility rating of probably 5 miles or more, so the UAV was never out of the line of sight. Here on the Pacific Coast we have some great opertunities to get some great shots but with a little seen hazard. The fog can be so thin that it can't be seen or it may be in a moisture layer 20 feet thick and 10 feet off of the ground. So he flew through the thin fog layer and found the moisture. It wasn't unsafe and as long as the drone is dried out, it will still be in good flying condition.
After flying along the Oregon Coast last week, the wife's blow dryer came in handy, the fog was about 7 feet off of the ground. I put my hand up and it got wet but below the 7 was cool and dry. I sure don't like flying my P3 in damp conditions but the humpback whales are migrating and I had 5 in front of me at one time rolling and blowing along the coastline.

OK as long a there is line of sight it is fine. When someone says fog I think of the stuff where you sometimes can't see your hand in front of yourself. We get fog like that here in mountains and on the coast of Maine and NH. Sometimes you can't even think of driving a car. And I have spent a lot of time flying IFR in the clouds and fog often picking up ice on the leading edges and even the propeller, that can be quite exciting and cause for quick action to escape icing conditions. And I have experienced the venture effect as carburetor icing in warm humid temps, so that is probably the reason for the ice crystals forming on the phantom.

The reason I wrote about the wisdom and legality of flying out of visual range and in IFR conditions is becoming more relevant every day now. I feel we need to get the word out about how to fly safely within the G airspace and what rules all model aircraft have to obey.

The new registration legislation coming out is mainly there to make people realize these things can be dangerous and need to integrate with the rest of air traffic in a safe way. Because part of the registration procedure is to learn the rules, you will have to read and agree to operate according to the rules. Just like driving a car you need to operate according to the laws. And of course it then makes it easier to trace down violators.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav