Icarus for Phantom 3S

I'm one of the 10, and it works. My 3S is on firmware v1.5.7, I'm in a CE area, and both RC and AC are now set to 27dbm instead of the paltry 17dbm that they were on. Has it made a difference - yes, especially on the 2.4Ghz video connection.
Me too, maybe I'm number nine. Did my first test flight today. Left the RC at 20, and the AC at 24. Like the above post says, be careful pushing your equipment past the point it was designed for. I do have a DBS mod and routinely go out 1200 to 1700 meters. Today went out 2160 meters, longest to record. Kept getting the "Image signal weak" message as it was getting out there. But the image was holding on for the most part and the telemetry was 100% the whole time.

So it is effectively the same as running the djiupdate.exe file on a PC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am urging people to think twice about turning things up to the full 27db.

The output transistor (it may be inside an ic) was running at 100mw (FCC).
But now you are putting 500mw through it.
If it doesn't have the proper heat sink you could fry it.
Why would the factory use any heat sink at all for 1/10 of a watt? You just don't need one.
But 1/2 watt is a different matter.

2nd:
The battery in a P3S is only 3.7 volts.
I haven't heard of radios putting out .5 watts on 3.7 volts.
I would expect to see at least 6 volts.
When you try to pull more power from an output stage than the voltage can sustain you get what's called clipping.
That is a distortion of the radio signal.
The signal may be un usable.

Thanks for this! That could explain the trouble Devildog had? I have just reset it to 20db, seeing as that is what it's supposed to be anyway, without the artificial crippling of CE mode.

Am about to go test it...

Wish me luck!

OK, good news and bad news...

Good news - the bird flew OK without any issues.

Bad news:

1. For the first time I have no experienced the dreaded S7 rebooting while running DJI Go. I think it did so pretty much the moment I turned my bird on. After it had rebooted and I did the whole sim card pin and screen unlock, I nervously tried flying...

2. I'm too much of a chicken to go far, especially now it seems my S7 is a Sh*t7 like my Sh*t6 was.

The other day I went to 100 meters and got nervous and came back, today I went to the same place, and again was surprised and nervous how far away 100 meters is... squeezed it out to 110 meters and came back. Not much of a range test, but the app didn't seem to do any harm either.

I doubt the app had anything to do with my Samsh*t rebooting.

Well that pretty much destroys any chance of me getting a Mavic then, as there's no way I can buy a new drone AND another new phone - I've only recently bought the Phantom and the phone is about a week old.

Fun hobby while it lasted, I guess?

Me too, maybe I'm number nine. Did my first test flight today. Left the RC at 20, and the AC at 24. Like the above post says, be careful pushing your equipment past the point it was designed for. I do have a DBS mod and routinely go out 1200 to 1700 meters. Today went out 2160 meters, longest to record. Kept getting the "Image signal weak" message as it was getting out there. But the image was holding on for the most part and the telemetry was 100% the whole time.
So would you recommend it so far? Im in a CE area and wanna give it a go. Not to tech savvy though so is it easy to setup? Thanks

So would you recommend it so far? Im in a CE area and wanna give it a go. Not to tech savvy though so is it easy to setup? Thanks
I'll let you know after I do a second test flight later today. New setting: RC @ 23dbm and AC @ 26dbm. My last flight was 2160 meters, not sure I want to go much farther. But want to see if I can go at least that far with the new setting, and have full video with no drop out.

Last edited:
OK, good news and bad news...

Good news - the bird flew OK without any issues.

Bad news:

1. For the first time I have no experienced the dreaded S7 rebooting while running DJI Go. I think it did so pretty much the moment I turned my bird on. After it had rebooted and I did the whole sim card pin and screen unlock, I nervously tried flying...

2. I'm too much of a chicken to go far, especially now it seems my S7 is a Sh*t7 like my Sh*t6 was.

The other day I went to 100 meters and got nervous and came back, today I went to the same place, and again was surprised and nervous how far away 100 meters is... squeezed it out to 110 meters and came back. Not much of a range test, but the app didn't seem to do any harm either.

I doubt the app had anything to do with my Samsh*t rebooting.

Well that pretty much destroys any chance of me getting a Mavic then, as there's no way I can buy a new drone AND another new phone - I've only recently bought the Phantom and the phone is about a week old.

Fun hobby while it lasted, I guess?
As stock you should be getting 500 Meters in CE and 1000 meters in FCC. If you're not going out past 100 meters on purpose, not sure why you would even need or want a mod like this?

Yeah awesome wmcvey! You seem confident using it. I will install on weekend anyway. Looking forward to your results. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Someone needs to combine these two threads. Here's what happen today, short test in an urban area. Only went out about 650 meters with these settings. RC @ 23 and AC @ 26. Set them last night and this afternoon they were still the same just before the flight. Now this was in an urban area not like the farm lands as before on the first test. And the results were not as good with the higher setting. The image kept lagging a lot and 650m seemed its limit, but it was a high interference area. Now here's the odd part. I rechecked the dbm setting after landing before powering down. Both the RC and AC were at 27dbm. Not where it started at the beginning of the flight, and not back to default either (20 dbm FCC). ???

OK...here's a big meaculpa from me....I tried the app and it worked ON THE BENCH...when we got out into the real world, the GPS locked in and the firmware dropped output to 17dbm, and kept it there. So, if you bought this app on my recommendation, I am truly sorry, as it works on the bench, but not in the air for peeps living in CE areas. If you are in FCC areas, the dbs isnt changed after you enter it, as the AC only checks for CE/FCC areas and sets the AC to CE 17dbm accordingly....what a PITA

OK...here's a big meaculpa from me....I tried the app and it worked ON THE BENCH...when we got out into the real world, the GPS locked in and the firmware dropped output to 17dbm, and kept it there. So, if you bought this app on my recommendation, I am truly sorry, as it works on the bench, but not in the air for peeps living in CE areas. If you are in FCC areas, the dbs isnt changed after you enter it, as the AC only checks for CE/FCC areas and sets the AC to CE 17dbm accordingly....what a PITA
Happy to see i'm not the only one to say this program doesn't work if you are in CE area...
I told it was ok only indoor (no GPS). When i tried outdoor GPS was ready and settings go back to CE 17 dbm (i'm from France so CE area...)

Happy to see i'm not the only one to say this program doesn't work if you are in CE area...
I told it was ok only indoor (no GPS). When I tried outdoor GPS was ready and settings go back to CE 17 dbm (i'm from France so CE area...)
I've downloaded Papatita's mod, and I'm giving that a check next...based on recent evaluations, please do not copy me..

As stock you should be getting 500 Meters in CE and 1000 meters in FCC. If you're not going out past 100 meters on purpose, not sure why you would even need or want a mod like this?

THE APP DOES NOT WORK IN CE AREAS,

Well for a start I've read so many horror stories of people saying they are getting nothing like 500 meters and losing touch with the AC at 150 or even 60 meters etc. Worse, I've only once used the RTH function, and it headed off in the completely wrong direction!

In fact that was the greatest range test ever, because I only just about managed to cancel the RTH and turn it around again. Looking at the footage and measuring that on Google Earth, I was able to turn off the RTH at around 460 meters - so VERY close to losing my craft completely, and note it was a forlorn attempt, as my display was already saying "No signal" before it suddenly responded to my frantic efforts.

That was with clear line of sight, with RTH initiated about 60 meters away, and almost immediately it headed off I was getting "Weak RC signal" and "Signal Lost" I'd estimate at around 300 meters. FPV was very weak and patchy; I was only able to guide it back to my location as it was a very distinctive area of light soil.

Anyway, THE APP DOES NOT WORK IN CE AREAS - it works indoors, but the moment you get a GPS lock it reverts back down to 17 db.

:'(

Ah, seems others are posting the same above. Yep, fun idea, while it lasted.

Anyone want to buy a Phantom 3, with hard case and hardly used?

THE APP DOES NOT WORK IN CE AREAS,

Well for a start I've read so many horror stories of people saying they are getting nothing like 500 meters and losing touch with the AC at 150 or even 60 meters etc. Worse, I've only once used the RTH function, and it headed off in the completely wrong direction!

In fact that was the greatest range test ever, because I only just about managed to cancel the RTH and turn it around again. Looking at the footage and measuring that on Google Earth, I was able to turn off the RTH at around 460 meters - so VERY close to losing my craft completely, and note it was a forlorn attempt, as my display was already saying "No signal" before it suddenly responded to my frantic efforts.

That was with clear line of sight, with RTH initiated about 60 meters away, and almost immediately it headed off I was getting "Weak RC signal" and "Signal Lost" I'd estimate at around 300 meters. FPV was very weak and patchy; I was only able to guide it back to my location as it was a very distinctive area of light soil.

Anyway, THE APP DOES NOT WORK IN CE AREAS - it works indoors, but the moment you get a GPS lock it reverts back down to 17 db.

:'(

Ah, seems others are posting the same above. Yep, fun idea, while it lasted.

Anyone want to buy a Phantom 3, with hard case and hardly used?
I just emailed them and they said this about the issue.
"due to a bug we are just fixing now, the DJI firmware can in given circumstances reset the 2.4GHz power to its desired value.
The Icarus app sets the txpower after boot and rely on the patch, so if your set values change during flight its due to the DJI.
We will keep you informed as soon as the fix will be released.
Thank you and Best Regards."

Reactions: Biggle and Zsolt
Hi everybody, I've a P3S since a few months but I'm in CE region and I hate that 17 dBm limit.
I was among those (few) who bought this app, nice idea, just your phone to control the tx power and...I was very upset it didn't work...lost of time and money...

BUT, I have tested the new release and I have to change my mind. Apparently they fixed the bug ! Now it stays on the value I set (checked at the end of a couple of flights) and it is also possible to change values without rebooting.

Just to let you know...

Hi everybody, I've a P3S since a few months but I'm in CE region and I hate that 17 dBm limit.
I was among those (few) who bought this app, nice idea, just your phone to control the tx power and...I was very upset it didn't work...lost of time and money...

BUT, I have tested the new release and I have to change my mind. Apparently they fixed the bug ! Now it stays on the value I set (checked at the end of a couple of flights) and it is also possible to change values without rebooting.

Just to let you know...
Yes I see well they updated the app to fix the bug in the program. I actually emailed them back when, about this issue. They sent me a reply just the other day telling me to check out the new version. Haven't applied it yet but I do plan on doing so and will post results here at that time.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

My situation is a bit different than most as I live in a FCC mode area. And the Wi-Fi signal here defaults at 27 to begin with, but I'm wanting to boot up the AC to 28 or 29 at most. App goes up to 30. And as I'm planning on installing apps to my DBS antenna need to reduce the RC down to 20 to match the maximum input rating of the amps.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: NotReallRJ

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl