I wussed out

Reaction score
I was going to buy a phantom vision +, but wussed out. At least according to the BF
I just purchased a Hubsan X4 to learn on. I figure I could learn how to fly a quad for less than 100 bucks, or less than 1500 bucks.
I think I am smart, but the boyfriend thinks I am a wuss.

So, did I just do something really smart, or did I wuss out?

Its all about your comfort level. I bought a small nano for in house training and used free android flight simulator prior to P2 arrival. But honestly if you are doing your homework on internet with YouTube videos and this forum, flying the P2 is not that hard.

I think it's a good start.

Flying with the X4 is probably the equivalent to flying in manual mode with the Phantom, which IMO not a lot of people including myself are capable of in cases. :lol:

But I also do agree that the Phantom is a very stable flyer out of the box with all the right conditions (ie: reading the manual, watching videos, maintenance, calibrations, weather reports, etc).

The technology inside the Phantom is why it costs as much as it does.
And the technology makes it easier to fly than anything people buy to learn on.
You don't need to learn on anything else.

locoworks said:
maybe find a BF with a phantom? :mrgreen:

+1 - dump current BF, find new BF w/Phantom and have him teach you on his.

Just marry Bill Gates --- he can buy you a whole warehouse full of tasty new Phantom Vision Plussess !!

In fact, he could build a house made out of Vision+++ ??

:mrgreen:

If you're a console gamer, chances are you'll take to flying the Phantom quite easily since pretty much everything that flies in any video game on a Xbox or Playstation uses the same stick layout... or even first person shooters the only difference is instead of left stick up/down being forward/backward on the Phantom it's literally up and down.
anyway my point is, console gamers already have tons of "practice" so it doesn't take very long to be a good pilot.

If you have ZERO experience with the 2-stick control method then yes, it's probably smart to start on something a little less expensive than a Phantom Vision.

Can you take the camera/gimbal off a V or V+ ? For folks starting off with a non-Vision Phantom I often recommend some flight time with the raw Phantom before mounting the gimbal. If you're a complete newbie the probability of a crash is high, so learn the device a bit without the gimbal+camera attached so that in case there's a problem you aren't damaging the super sensitive equipment. The Phantom on it's own is quite robust imo.

EMCSQUAR said:
locoworks said:
maybe find a BF with a phantom? :mrgreen:

+1 - dump current BF, find new BF w/Phantom and have him teach you on his.

Is this where the sign up list starts? LOL

I have a couple of Wl v262 quads that can be had for about $70. I learned to fly on these. I now have a Phantom I. The Phantom is much easier to fly with better components and gps, compass etc. Once in a while I'll fly the v262 and realize how spoiled I am with the Phantom. The hard part of the Phantom is learning what you need to know.

Sinjin, I've been wanting an RC helicopter since I was a kid. (last week :) )
When I saw a couple of videos last year on these quad things, I was hooked.
Read up on them and watched more videos. Saw how extremely easy they are to fly.
No need to tie the bird down with a tether as you learn. As you must do with the regular helicopters.
So I just bought a phantom 1 and started flying it.
Found out quickly the six minute flight time sucked so I bought the phantom 2.
Now I just purchased two more batteries for longer flying time.

But hey, them little ones are ok are to learn on.
Them you can fly indoors.

Hi Sinjin

I don't think you wussed out as the X4 is a great and inexpensive quad to learn the basics on. One thing that catches new Phantom Pilots who have no previous RC experience out,( might explain some new users' claims of flyaways) is learning to fly nose in. If you're not used to this it may appear the quad is being disobedient and doing the opposite of what you think you are telling it to do.

Using the X4 will help develop much needed muscle memory especially if you want to make your resultant videos look fluid
with sweeping turns, pirouettes, and sloping ascents and descents. A lot more interesting that up, forward, stop, turn, forward, etc.....

Another excellent, and very resilient, quad to learn on is the Blade Nano QX. It's also more suited to outdoor flight than the
Hubsan X4.

Regards

Nidge

Sinjin said:
I was going to buy a phantom vision +, but wussed out. At least according to the BF
I just purchased a Hubsan X4 to learn on. I figure I could learn how to fly a quad for less than 100 bucks, or less than 1500 bucks.
I think I am smart, but the boyfriend thinks I am a wuss.

So, did I just do something really smart, or did I wuss out?

You wussed out. The thing is simple to fly. You are a wuss. Your BF and I could be potential BFFs.

Thanks everyone.
I understand the phantom is wicked easy to fly...on auto...
I want to learn how to fly it manually. The way my luck goes, auto won't always be auto, but gravity will always be gravity.

I am still getting a phantom...

I hope your X4 flies much better than mine. The world's greatest flyer, moving sticks faster than the eye can see, would more than likely give up on mine.

Get a Boyfriend with a Real Job. If you use your head, you can get someone to buy you a Phantom. :lol: I can tell you this, if you keep the current boyfriend (yea, Lower Case "b") Do Not Let The Wimp Fly It. My Girlfriend told me to put mine on her C. Card when I ordered it off Amazon... I choose not too.

You didn't wuss out at all. I have flown planes for years and one small coaxial heli from blade. I risked it and flew my phantom. But if your comfort level is to learn on something less expensive then go for it. Most of my nerves went away after I experienced how easy it is to fly a p2.

CaptMike said:
Get a Boyfriend with a Real Job. If you use your head, you can get someone to buy you a Phantom. :lol: .

If I took your advice my Dad would crawl out of his grave and slap the stupid right out of me. :roll:
The BF has real job, and I was raised well enough to know that it is MY responsibility to support myself. Not too mention buy my own toys.

I hope I am not out of line saying there is something sexy about a girl flying a phantom. Kind of like a girl that drives a pickup truck. I am just saying what every guy on here is thinking.

BlackTracer said:
I hope I am not out of line saying there is something sexy about a girl flying a phantom. Kind of like a girl that drives a pickup truck. I am just saying what every guy on here is thinking.

How do you know Sinjin is a girl? Just sayin'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.