I won't be doing this again lol

Reaction score
The UK weather has not been too favorable lately, but sometimes that itch just needs to be scratched lol.
Thought I'd do a 360 of a local windmill, but didn't quite realise just how blustery it was.
Fought my way back across the fields but she made it ok.
My *** was twitching though I must admit.

Strangely the windmill wasn't moving, but then it hasn't in 50 years ☺

Attachments

• 1456056409388.jpg
    1456056409388.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 442
Reactions: Reed L
Did you fly in GPS or atti mode.
How difficult was it to fly back
Did you notice your battery running down quicker
Did you land or hand catch
Any tips at what point were you worried and what height did you take it to.

I am.also in the UK and don't want to push mine to the limits but want to know what to expect if I misjudge the wind

Well here's the thing... I did originally plan to do an orbit of the windmill using Litchi. It would have been my second test mission using the app, although the first orbit. Planned the orbit at home then drove out. Sent her up and switched to atti. Hit start on the mission, and she just hovered there, no warnings on screen or anything to tell me something might be wrong. Was windy though so I don't know it Litchi was having problems due to this.
Switched to GPS and flew manually with Litchi. Done a manual orbit, a bit slower against the gusts naturally.
Coming back was a little more worrying. Min 3kmh max 11kmh.
Height was 70m.

I am.also in the UK and don't want to push mine to the limits but want to know what to expect if I misjudge the wind
If you're concerned about winds, don't fly away downwind in a strong wind.
When you launch try flying upwind and see how it affects your speed.
If you can only manage 5 metres per sec, you don't want to try battling against that coming home.
Fly away upwind so you have the wind helping for the trip home.
And if caught out consider descending rather than staying up high where the winds will be stronger.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Well here's the thing... I did originally plan to do an orbit of the windmill using Litchi. It would have been my second test mission using the app, although the first orbit. Planned the orbit at home then drove out. Sent her up and switched to atti. Hit start on the mission, and she just hovered there, no warnings on screen or anything to tell me something might be wrong. Was windy though so I don't know it Litchi was having problems due to this.
Switched to GPS and flew manually with Litchi. Done a manual orbit, a bit slower against the gusts naturally.
Coming back was a little more worrying. Min 3kmh max 11kmh.
Height was 70m.
You switched to Atti mode in 30mph winds and it hovered ???! Do you mean F mode?

Reactions: Buckaye
You switched to Atti mode in 30mph winds and it hovered ???! Do you mean F mode?

+1 I was wondering the same thing

Yes F mode, sorry
I am going to look into why the orbit mission stalled on Litchi.
Done a small waypoint mission last week which went well. This was the first orbit I have attempted.
I launched in gps and let her hover for 30 seconds. Ascended to around 40m and switched to F mode. Got the orbit mission up, hit start... nada.
Thought it needed to initiate something so left it another 30 seconds or so but still nothing. So switched back to gps and did a manual run.

Last edited:
If you're concerned about winds, don't fly away downwind in a strong wind.
When you launch try flying upwind and see how it affects your speed.
If you can only manage 5 metres per sec, you don't want to try battling against that coming home.
Fly away upwind so you have the wind helping for the trip home.
And if caught out consider descending rather than staying up high where the winds will be stronger.

Yes this is usually the way I do things, but the best launch site (as far as road access) was south of the windmill, against the wind. Not ideal I agree.
Getting there was great, the return concerning at times. Once over open fields I dropped to 20m and full throttled her.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4