"I will put a brick through your drone!"

If I wanted to spy on people, I'd be putting my money into a telescope, not a quadcopter.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441464367.871224.jpg

Ha like this LOL

No, you don't and that wasn't what I was trying to say. Some of the negative reactions that people might have to UAVs (or drones) are rarely thought through by the individual who often think that it's their original thinking rather than suspecting that that they are actually just soaking up the media hysteria. However, my experience is that some folk have an almost inbuilt aversion to having their photo taken by any means and that reaction can often be expressed in an aggressive manner, either by word or actions. I thought that this might just help to explain some of (rare) negative reactions that some of us might experience from time to time. Unless she was an Olympic Shot Putt medalist in the past, she would be hard pushed to throw a brick anywhere near your drone, let alone hit it! [emoji3]
Yeah I take your point but to be fair she did look like an Olympic shot putt medalist ha ha!

Reactions: Jbundy63
I have had concerns from passers by but I've shown them the display and explained that if you wanted to 'spy' a good dslr with a zoom lens would be far better (and far more discrete!). They've always gone away impressed and I hope educated! Blame the tabloids and TV news for the ignorant reporting!

Reactions: JohnK
Ha like this LOL
Good God man, it looks like your celestron has its own observatory. My C8 and Meade Electronic Digital are getting jealous...

Good God man, it looks like your celestron has its own observatory. My C8 and Meade Electronic Digital are getting jealous...
LOL Yeah I've been in astronomy for years, it's a Celestron C-14 Edge HD in an observatory I built years ago. The sky here the last few years have gotten worse with light pollution [emoji53]
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441469544.706159.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1441469614.831738.jpg

Sorry everyone! Don't mean to get off topic!

Last edited:
LOL Yeah I've been in astronomy for years, it's a Celestron C-14 Edge HD in an observatory I built years ago. The sky here that last few years have gotten worse with light pollution [emoji53]
Sorry everyone! Don't mean to get off topic!

Very nice and impressive. Congrats

Blame the tabloids and TV news for the ignorant reporting!
Well yeah, but probably not for the reason you expect. One of the fundamental laws of teaching is that the first thing learned on a topic is the most remembered. If you think about the very first thing the general public learned about things called drones you realize that to them when you say the word drone, their mind goes to this:

reaper-UAV-picture.jpg

To them, drones ARE designed and intended to be used for spying on people. This is the very first thing they learned about drones so its perfectly natural that its the thing the most remember about drones.

To us, its completely obvious that our little 2lb drones are designed for a completely different task than a predator drone. But its not at all obvious to the general public and you can't really blame them for that.

Reactions: Flyaware
Assumed, of course, that the "general public" often makes no effort to educate itself, even in this day of instant and readily-available info. A safe assumption, sadly.

The problem we are facing now with bad media perception etc is that as in my case it starts with a bit of verbal but it started to draw a lot of attention from passers by, all it takes is one hero to get the wrong end of the stick and these instances could turn physical or even worse your phantom being damaged or broken.

Assumed, of course, that the "general public" often makes no effort to educate itself, even in this day of instant and readily-available info. A safe assumption, sadly.
The general public has no obligation to learn about hobby grade drones.

The general public has no obligation to learn about hobby grade drones.

Before opining about, criticizing, or making judgmental statements about ANYTHING, it should be incumbent on the individual to know something about the subject. I realize that not everyone agrees with that (or even recognizes it as an issue), which is why we have these problems.

I was in a Maldives resort the other day and there were people at the beach kayaking,suntanning, snorkeling, and swimming.

Before I flew my drone, I approached the people nearby and told them what I was doing and about to do. And I also asked if they minded me flying, and I told them that I won't be taking pics or vids of them.

Some of them were amused and actually gave the go ahead, they were fine with me flying. After flying two batteries worth, the old couple nearby came up to me and said "good! Very nice!" And also asked me how much my drone was etc.

Overall I feel that where ever you are, no matter how far u think u are from anyone, let them know your intentions. That way you would avoid any potential situations like this.

I let the people in charge know what I'm doing but not the public. For instance, when I go to the beach, I find a life guard, let him or her know and I go to town. I figure if anyone has an issue with it flying, they will whine to the lifeguards and they will deal with it. If they approach me, I will welcome the opportunity to teach.

When they are negative, I simply ignore them and let them know I will be calling the police if they continue to harass me.

Failing that, I'm 280 lbs, former military, martial arts instructor and younger brother and target to massive bully growing up. Non-violent pacifist now but people generally don't get aggressive anyway.

Geez. I think it's going to get tougher here, too, over time.
In California they already passed a law stating you must be more than 40' when flying over private property without permission of the owner. They are now trying to pass a law saying you can only fly 350'.

In California they already passed a law stating you must be more than 40' when flying over private property without permission of the owner. They are now trying to pass a law saying you can only fly 350'.

Good grief. Another unenforceable rule. Will the police be equipped with laser distance measuring devices? Life in the PC, "afraid of our own shadow" world.

Reactions: Othan1
Geez. I think it's going to get tougher here, too, over time.
You think that's tough? We are only allowed to fly up to 60m in Singapore. And since Singapore is such a small country, almost every other place is within a 5km radius of an aerodrome. Furthermore, you can't fly more than 15m when you are in the vicinity of a restricted area(government buildings, education ministries etc)

image.jpg

We all end up flying at the few same locations and also end up with very similar videos as our airspace is so limited. 150m is great so appreciate it!

Reactions: GoodnNuff

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie