"I will put a brick through your drone!"

Reaction score
I thought I would share this experience with you guys, yesterday afternoon i took my phantom 3 to our local beach, I live in England so our summers consist of about 2 weeks of sun if we are lucky anyway, so it was very quiet at this time of year. The tide was out that left some amazing rock pools that ive wanted to film. I started on the headland as ive just done the new firmware update and wanted to make sure it was stable then i walked down to the area i wanted to film. After about 10 minutes (max) I started packing away when an enraged older lady lets say in her sixties came screaming at me "Does that drone take pictures" to which i replied yes and video. "well if I catch you flying that drone around here again I will put a brick through it!" I have to admit I was pretty shocked so I told her if you ever did I would call the police. She then countinued threatening me and abusing me calling me a pervert acusing me of taking pictures of her at her beach hut! Enough is enough I thought so i said to her why on earth do you think i want to take pictures of a bunch of old crinkles sat in front of their beach huts when there is all that beautiful coastline and headlands to shoot. She then carried on stating I was invading their privacy even though we were all on a public beach and i was filming well over 50 metres away from anyone, and that my "drone" was making so much noise. So I calmly replied no where nearly as much noise as what you have been making ranting at me in the last 10 minutes! we live on the coast where there are jet skies speedboats making just as much noise and for far longer periods of time. As for calling it a "drone" It doesnt fire missiles, although i wish it could at this point, its called a quadcopter or UAV. This is one reason why i normally fly early in the morning or in the evening to get away from the public but I feel the hobby we love is getting a bad name for itself, you mention the word drone and a lot of people immediately think your a pervert trying to film them. Im pretty thick skinned and at the time found it slightly comical but the more I thought about it i felt quite angry as 5 minutes earlier my wife and 2 young children were with me but got bored and went to the park, but if they were around to here the abuse that was directed to me for doing something I love responsibily and not harming anyone, I would of been fuming. Im sure a lot of you have had bad experiences with the public and I personally think its only going to get worse. So be aware of little old grannies in the future they could be armed and ready to take down your "drone!"

Haha I would have tried to stay calm and reasonable like you at first but I'd say after about 3 minutes I'd have erupted in laughter at her.
Look you can't talk sense into old crazies or any crazies for that matter.
It's a drone mate, trying to call it a quad copter or UAV or rpas well that ship sailed long ago because people only look at you like you have 10 heads when you use those names. People know it as a drone and that's that. 99.9% don't have a problem but just remember that it was the crazy old dear who had the problem, not calm sensible you.
Shrug it off and keep doing what your doing.

Reactions: Monico Garza
This is the first thing people think about drones (sorry I kind of like to call it drone..) They think you're going to spy on them, thanks to the media always preferring the sensational to the truth. I had an unexpected visitor yesterday and my P3 was out of its case for some reason. The guy: Oh you've got one of those? you spy on your neighbours then...? I couldn't help, I said "yes I do, my speciality is to go close to bathroom windows, I see amazing things". She (was a she) had then a strange look on her face... Then I proceed to explain her that she was like the majority of people building their opinion on what they heard not knowing the facts and carrying on spreading the BS like idiots. Then I showed her what kind of pics and videos you do with a P3. "Oh you can hardly see people! " . I think this one has understood.
But I had discussions on a forum trying to explain that it was not what they thought, was argued that recreational drones have zooms to spy on things (just like I was an idiot not knowing that) and received 90% of "dislikes" to all my answers. Lost cause. whatever they're cretins or smart it's difficult to challenge popularly held misconceptions.

Haha I am sorry about laughing about that, but the retort that no one would film some old gal sitting in front of her hut was the best ;)
Yeah, I guess people are kinda reserved towards drones. I can understand why, but you do not sound like the person who would fly unresponsibly (is that a word? *sigh*). Anyway, thanks for sharin, m8.

S.

Haha I am sorry about laughing about that, but the retort that no one would film some old gal sitting in front of her hut was the best ;)
Yeah, I guess people are kinda reserved towards drones. I can understand why, but you do not sound like the person who would fly unresponsibly (is that a word? *sigh*). Anyway, thanks for sharin, m8.

S.
yeah i think i may of made that word up actually,ha ha,as for filming old crinkles it might be some peoples cup of tea but certainly not mine, i might actually start a campaign if your over a certain age you are not aloud to wear a bikini in a public area,no one wants to see that.

That may have come across the wrong way. I was really referring to myself, no criticising you for your choice of words. I wrote it, my spell checker complained and I realised I have no idea whether that is a word or not :)

It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly some people accept what they read or hear in the media as the 'truth' and that they are responsible for upholding and policing that 'truth'. Hundreds of millions of years of evolution have gone in to produce the most complex brain known to exist and yet so often, just not used. What a waste! For my part, I refuse to be made to feel guilty about my hobby. I'm a passionate wildlife and landscape photographer and use a range of DSLRS, camera traps and, more recently, an airborne camera and tripod; my P3. I have come across a few 'truth police' and, those that I know personally, I usually tell them to get over themselves. Why would I want to even think about filming them. On one occasion, I had a small group of walkers stop nearby to watch what I was doing and so, as I often do, I just walked over to them, asked them what they thought, showed them the live feed and let them have a few minutes of flight time, under supervision. Every time, they have gone away as total converts. But then I would never fly ( or photograph via DSLR) without asking for permission first as I know as a photographer that some people have a real aversion to having their photos taken by any means! Keep on flying! Don't let the morons grind you down.

Reactions: Electric Warrior
It never ceases to amaze me just how quickly some people accept what they read or hear in the media as the 'truth' and that they are responsible for upholding and policing that 'truth'. Hundreds of millions of years of evolution have gone in to produce the most complex brain known to exist and yet so often, just not used. What a waste! For my part, I refuse to be made to feel guilty about my hobby. I'm a passionate wildlife and landscape photographer and use a range of DSLRS, camera traps and, more recently, an airborne camera and tripod; my P3. I have come across a few 'truth police' and, those that I know personally, I usually tell them to get over themselves. Why would I want to even think about filming them. On one occasion, I had a small group of walkers stop nearby to watch what I was doing and so, as I often do, I just walked over to them, asked them what they thought, showed them the live feed and let them have a few minutes of flight time, under supervision. Every time, they have gone away as total converts. But then I would never fly ( or photograph via DSLR) without asking for permission first as I know as a photographer that some people have a real aversion to having their photos taken by any means! Keep on flying! Don't let the morons grind you down.
Thanks for your input but i dont think you need ask anyones permission to fly and film around them so long as you are 50m away sometimes you might film passers by but normally you are that far away they are dots anyway, if i was to ask everyones permission when im flying in an area i think i would be grounded most of the time.

If I had filmed all those crinkles and wrinkles I would have thought my camera was broke. I get it a little different. I had those type of people tell me I was to old to be playing with the new technology toys. I just tell them " hell it ani t no problem I had computers before you had internet so I have the experience. You should see their face then.

I thought I would share this experience with you guys, yesterday afternoon i took my phantom 3 to our local beach, I live in England so our summers consist of about 2 weeks of sun if we are lucky anyway, so it was very quiet at this time of year. The tide was out that left some amazing rock pools that ive wanted to film. I started on the headland as ive just done the new firmware update and wanted to make sure it was stable then i walked down to the area i wanted to film. After about 10 minutes (max) I started packing away when an enraged older lady lets say in her sixties came screaming at me "Does that drone take pictures" to which i replied yes and video. "well if I catch you flying that drone around here again I will put a brick through it!" I have to admit I was pretty shocked so I told her if you ever did I would call the police. She then countinued threatening me and abusing me calling me a pervert acusing me of taking pictures of her at her beach hut! Enough is enough I thought so i said to her why on earth do you think i want to take pictures of a bunch of old crinkles sat in front of their beach huts when there is all that beautiful coastline and headlands to shoot. She then carried on stating I was invading their privacy even though we were all on a public beach and i was filming well over 50 metres away from anyone, and that my "drone" was making so much noise. So I calmly replied no where nearly as much noise as what you have been making ranting at me in the last 10 minutes! we live on the coast where there are jet skies speedboats making just as much noise and for far longer periods of time. As for calling it a "drone" It doesnt fire missiles, although i wish it could at this point, its called a quadcopter or UAV. This is one reason why i normally fly early in the morning or in the evening to get away from the public but I feel the hobby we love is getting a bad name for itself, you mention the word drone and a lot of people immediately think your a pervert trying to film them. Im pretty thick skinned and at the time found it slightly comical but the more I thought about it i felt quite angry as 5 minutes earlier my wife and 2 young children were with me but got bored and went to the park, but if they were around to here the abuse that was directed to me for doing something I love responsibily and not harming anyone, I would of been fuming. Im sure a lot of you have had bad experiences with the public and I personally think its only going to get worse. So be aware of little old grannies in the future they could be armed and ready to take down your "drone!"

Where is this exactly appears I gotta make a doorstep visit on this one!!

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland

Sounds like a proper Peggy Mitchell lol

Where is this exactly appears I gotta make a doorstep visit on this one!!
Ha Ha i did tell her if she did put a brick through my drone the police is the least of her problems,but if two ton tony turns up at your doorstep then your in trouble!!

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
I would have simply laughed at her and dared her to try. Then if she did try I would have laid her out cold right where she stood. I am only 36 and the older I get the less tolerance I have of stupid people. This is not internet tough guy talk either. I have jumped in a few peoples face over the last couple years where I would have never done that when I was a bit younger. Most people cringe and back away when they have a huge muscular 260 pound guy coming at them with a blood red face and veins popping.

Thanks for your input but i dont think you need ask anyones permission to fly and film around them so long as you are 50m away sometimes you might film passers by but normally you are that far away they are dots anyway, if i was to ask everyones permission when im flying in an area i think i would be grounded most of the time.

No, you don't and that wasn't what I was trying to say. Some of the negative reactions that people might have to UAVs (or drones) are rarely thought through by the individual who often think that it's their original thinking rather than suspecting that that they are actually just soaking up the media hysteria. However, my experience is that some folk have an almost inbuilt aversion to having their photo taken by any means and that reaction can often be expressed in an aggressive manner, either by word or actions. I thought that this might just help to explain some of (rare) negative reactions that some of us might experience from time to time. Unless she was an Olympic Shot Putt medalist in the past, she would be hard pushed to throw a brick anywhere near your drone, let alone hit it! [emoji3]

I would be more worried about all the cellphone cameras out there................. I call mine a Drone and I call my Business , Drone Bee Productions. I also try to stay away from public because I like the peace. I do spend quite a bit of time explaining my Drone to many people. Most are cool about it. No interest in photographing people at at all.........not even for $$$. I wonder how far the old harridan could actually throw a brick ? :) :)

Reactions: Farmer
I was in a Maldives resort the other day and there were people at the beach kayaking,suntanning, snorkeling, and swimming.

Before I flew my drone, I approached the people nearby and told them what I was doing and about to do. And I also asked if they minded me flying, and I told them that I won't be taking pics or vids of them.

Some of them were amused and actually gave the go ahead, they were fine with me flying. After flying two batteries worth, the old couple nearby came up to me and said "good! Very nice!" And also asked me how much my drone was etc.

Overall I feel that where ever you are, no matter how far u think u are from anyone, let them know your intentions. That way you would avoid any potential situations like this.

Reactions: harrybub and Farmer
The problem is they have been raised on satellite images of license plates and don't understand how little detail is available once you are over 25 feet in the air. In fact, at 75 feet up, an in-shape 75 year old in a bikini looks as good as a 19 year old in a bikini.

I agree that cell phone cameras invade more privacy than any hobby drone ever can. But try to tell that to someone who is afraid you might drop a missile into their beach blanket.

Reactions: Jbundy63

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4