Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

I will always fly with my Cell Phone & Tablet in Airplane Mode

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by George Race, Jan 11, 2016.

1. George Race

After having a run in with loss of signal while getting ready to fly, careful testing and analysis proved to me that my problem was the BlueTooth signal from my Cell Phone causing the interference. I have put together a web page showing what I did to prove it to myself.
    I always pair up my Cell Phone with my in car system so I can do hands free calls and text messages. Little did I know that my particular phone could be causing problems flying my DJI P3P.
    Here is the link to what i discovered, about my particular situation.
    Always Airplane Mode

CYBERPIL0T and John N Kronyak like this.
  2. Wibble

I always have - mainly because I didnt want some idiot phoning me at the worst possible time!

3. robsquad

for me its usually the wife to see what time im home and what i want for tea !

4. John N Kronyak

download (5).jpg
    Nice piece of research.

5. Phantomfreak

Thats awesome that you have both the knowledge and equipment to do these tests in a meaningful manner.. Thanks. I have always flown with my iphone 6 plus, always in airplane mode taking no chances.. I suspected that either wifi or bluetooth would interfere somehow with the control or video signal.

6. nix240z

Great write up. Thanks

7. Noble 1

Hey George, thanks for that valuable information. I can definitely see the destructive interference from the overlapping bluetooth signals with wifi. It seems strange that the Phantom would lose altitude and fall from the sky from a loss of signal from the transmitter. Wouldn't the bird return home? I don't know much about the signals and the transmitter and receiver on birdside but is there any evidence out there that this could be something other than interference? Such as a board failure? or ESC failure? Could the signal inference cause the board to malfunction?

Anyhow, I don't know for sure but don't most flight apps on the tablet or phone require some sort of connection to 4G for data to download the maps?

8. Dirty Bird

This must be something unique to your setup causing interference. I say this because, while I am flying, I am almost always on the phone!

With my Vision+ the phone is in the holder, Wi-Fi connected to Phantom, Bluetooth in my ear chatting away.

With the P3 my Nexus 7 is in the holder, Bluetooth enabled, Wi-Fi tethered to the phone in my pocket, Bluetooth connected to the phone, chatting away.

Never had a problem in either scenario.

9. BVC

BVC

I will never fly with a phone.

The bigger the screen, the safer the flight!!

10. Pim-K

Also always flying in airplane mode. Only problem most of the time I find out many hours after flying it is still in airplane mode...

11. Dome

I switch off wifi and bluetooth (really a mess with P3) but cell doesn't affect in any way P3 system.

12. George Race

You are correct, the bird should not ever crash with loss of the control signal from the controller. Depending on your settings, it should either hover in place or simply descend and land.
    In my situation, it was still on the ground, and the signal was lost from the bird to the controller, just like I demonstrated in the short videos. There may be something different about my particular phone that is causing the interference. Anyway, just wanted to share my findings, just in case it would be helpful to others.

13. George Race

As I mentioned, may be something unique to my particular Cell Phone! I probably need to do the final tests again, now that I know how to setup the scenario, with other kinds of Cell Phones in hand.

14. George Race

I am sure that i will probably do that exact same thing!
    Need to have a little red ribbon hanging from my shirt pocket that says "Airplane Mode" as a reminder. Or maybe a post flight check list would be appropriate!

15. George Race

I download the flight area Google Earth maps using WiFi on my flight tablet, before I leave the house for the flight. They are kept in the cache and will be there until you overwrite them with other maps.