i want to fly my phantom1 two miles out and back safely.

Reaction score
hello my fellow pilots

I got my phantom1 model # p33od with a 5.8 ghz controller model # pvt 581 back in march, the greatest thing since slice beard love it.i have upgraded my system i got a cheap pair of fatshark 2.4 ghz goggles model # rvc 922 base with a hero 3 gopro and isod mimi every thing is working fine. i have add two battery mount so i can use two battery for more time. also i have a 2.4 immersion 700mw transmitter.

i have modify my controller so i can use different antenna

my goal is to time fly two mile out and return safely to the earth what more do i need to make this happen.

Reactions: IflyinWY
hello my fellow pilots

I got my phantom1 model # p33od with a 5.8 ghz controller model # pvt 581 back in march, the greatest thing since slice beard love it.i have upgraded my system i got a cheap pair of fatshark 2.4 ghz goggles model # rvc 922 base with a hero 3 gopro and isod mimi every thing is working fine. i have add two battery mount so i can use two battery for more time. also i have a 2.4 immersion 700mw transmitter.

my goal is to time fly two mile out and return safely to the earth what more do i need to make this happen.
I thought the P1 used a 2.4 GHz controller?
My P2NV uses the 2.4 GHz controller and 5.8 GHz video feed.I lost the video after a couple of hundred meters (I live in a heavily wooded area), but I have control far beyond that.

By "returning safely to the earth" you mean that you want to fly 2 miles vertically? If yes, you gotta be careful with two important things, which are your local flight routes and battery duration.

If you're meaning 2 miles horizontally, with the regular controller it's barely impossible. You're probably going to need a FPVLR Antenna kit installed on RC and the Phantom. There are a lot of options below:
https://fpvlr.com/store/product-category/5-8ghz-fpv-antennas/

But why do you want to fly this far away? The longest distance I've ever had was 2400 ft, it's pretty useles. Lol
Good luck!

I thought the P1 used a 2.4 GHz controller?
My P2NV uses the 2.4 GHz controller and 5.8 GHz video feed.I lost the video after a couple of hundred meters (I live in a heavily wooded area), but I have control far beyond that.

Phantom 1 uses 2.4GHz, he probably is using a FC40 without its smart camera, just like a friend of mine did.

i brought this unit at frys now it said phantom 1 but i do know that my controller is 5.8ghz so it must be the fc40 with out the camera am new to this. i have order a sunhans 5.8ghz amplifer 2w and a yuneec 5.8 14dbi fpv heliclal antenna i want to fly horizontally, and vertically.

Last edited by a moderator:
for me that is just the cooless thing i have picked out the route. i need to upgade to get the fc40 to make the trip.

hello my fellow pilots

Hey weecan, welcome to the party.

Any chance you could post pics of the labels on the bottom of your bird and controller? I'd like to see how DJI numbered the P1 that is controlled with 5.8.

How long will your bird fly on your dual battery setup? What will your groundspeed be for this 2 mile flight? Sounds like you've added some weight, drag and battery load to your bird that will make the round trip a bit tough to accomplish.

Any other details you want to share? Maybe you could clarify whether "two mile out" means horizontal or vertical. Thanks

There's a good search link, and other stuff in my signature.

What landmark are you trying to reach and why not move closer? What will you be carrying?

Bird bottom

Attachments

• 1437399100693.jpg
    1437399100693.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 408
This one is for sure a FC40. Originally, due to its WiFi camera, Dji has moved the controller to 5.8GHz just like they did with Vision Plus.

Bad thing about this is that you'll lose RC signal before you lose video signal, and you also aren't able to change to other controller like Futaba because the only RC out there that uses 5.8GHz is the one from Dji.
Weird, isn't?

There's an old Irish tale...

A man is lost on his way to visit relatives and sees a farmer leaning on a gate. He stops and asks the farmer the directions to Clonmel.
The farmer thinks for a minute or two...
"you know, if I wanted to go to Clonmel, I wouldn't start from here"

Flight plan

Last time I unintentionally flew over a nearby elementary school at 200 feet above ground, enroute to another destination, RC signal was completely lost and a RTH was initiated. Schools may have all sorts of interference. Maybe find another landmark to fly to?

There's an old Irish tale...

A man is lost on his way to visit relatives and sees a farmer leaning on a gate. He stops and asks the farmer the directions to Clonmel.
The farmer thinks for a minute or two...
"you know, if I wanted to go to Clonmel, I wouldn't start from here"
Exactly! ...unless you wanted to conceal your location for some nefarious purpose! :oops:

What could possibly go wrong?

At the Phantom's maximum forward speed of 10 m/s it would take 10.66 minutes to traverse those 4 miles, with zero wind. I find it highly unlikely that with climb to altitude and wind, it would make it safely back even with dual batteries. Factor in the much lower range of 5.8 ghz systems, however boosted, and this seems like an accident waiting to happen. I haven't seen or read any reports of a 5.8 system going 10,000+ ft. IMO, the only way a mission like this would be feasible is with an autopilot like Ground Station. P1's just don't have that kind of range.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic