I want better manual camera control for Litchi missions!

Reaction score
Website
www.stevenmichelsen.com
When working to accomplish an elaborate shot with my P3A, I am finding the best way to go is to fly the equivilant of a "2-man" mission, using Litchi to fly the craft, and me to control the camera via the gimbal tilt and yaw. In this way I can focus on composition, and not driving the craft. One thing I am not happy about is the itty-bitty gimbal tilt wheel on the controller. I am thinking it would be fantastic to integrate a full-size joystick device to control the camera, with forward/back for gimbal tilt, and left/right for yaw. I believe this would give a much finer control over camera motions and thus a better shot.

But how to do this? It would either involve sending and receiving 2 channels from the Phantom to control it and the gimbal directly, or getting / sharing control from the DJI controller via a hardware hack.

So has anyone seen, heard, or wished for anything like this? The idea of having control of the camera during a Litchi mission with a joystick clamped to the arm of a camping chair, while still having the DJI controller available to take over with as needed, is a fantastic way to go in my opinion.

What you are looking for is called a zipline:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Check out the video>>

You can set point A and point B while having free 360 control over the drone. Plus, if you set the speed to zero(I think) you can control the speed manually. ...Have fun

What you are looking for is called a zipline .... You can set point A and point B while having free 360 control over the drone. Plus, if you set the speed to zero(I think) you can control the speed manually. ...Have fun

tml: I have got that down. I just want a more "rugged" mechanism for controlling the camera.

Here is a video I shot in this way. Lots of panning around as the P3A flew along it's route. Even got to pan to observe some flocks of birds as the P3A flew along.
And here's a straight-up test to practice camera control while litchi does the flying. (JUMP TO 1:40)

Last edited:
oh alright. Nice shots, but what you are looking for might be found in a major upgrade.

Perhaps,
oh alright. Nice shots, but what you are looking for might be found in a major upgrade.

Perhaps, but I don't want a "real" 2-man rig, or a bigger craft. The Phantom, with Litchi, does everything I want it to do. I just want a serious joystick to control the camera. Maybe not quite like this guy, but getting there...
drone-controller-usaf.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic