I think I got a defective P4P, can anyone confirm these symptoms?

Reaction score
I just received my first ever drone, a P4P. I followed the instructions and updated the firmware in the drone and in the RC yesterday. I charged fully the RC and 2 flight batteries, both new DJI batteries. I went to a large field today for initial tests. The P4P powered on just fine and streamed video as expected. I took a few test pictures and videos and they were fine. I was very cautious and stayed within about 100m distance and 10m altitude. I just used manual controls during this outing with the exception of trying auto launch and land both of which worked fine (by that I mean hit the buttons in the app to launch and land). The bird behaved well in flight and appeared very stable.

Now for my problems.
1) the gimbal overload warning came on a few times. physically the gimbal is completely free moving on both axes when powered off. Also, I never rotated the craft quickly, but on several occasions the leg came into view. In spite of that the gimbal appeared to work fine and the video was quite smooth. It just seems that it was very slow to catch up to an aircraft rotation. Perhaps this is not a "problem", but it would be nice to hear that this is normal behaviour.

2) this is a BIG problem. The flight battery status is usually missing from the display in the APP and querying it shows it is N/A. I say usually because I have been experimenting with it here at my desk and sometimes when I reinitialize everything it will be there and rational (i.e., the values are sensible and in sync with the battery's status indicators) only to disappear for no obvious reason after a minute or so. On at least one occasion it came back only to disappear again. This was a static test with no props and the bird sitting on my desk so there was no movement to "jiggle' anything. This behavior is identical for both batteries, so it is not a battery issue. Obviously this is a major problem -- not knowing your battery status during flight.

This was purchased from a high quality source (B&H) so I can return it and rebuy it. Any advice? Is this a known issue with a fix? BTW: I rechecked today that no new firmware or app update appeared after I set everything up yesterday.

I will say that the app appears to be a bit on the buggy side. For example when I used it to auto land the bird, it seemed to be unable to get out of the autoland mode. To take off again I had to do so manually (I assume if I had closed and reopened the app all would be well)

Your input would be most welcome.
Richard

Both are related issues. My P4P said about gimbal overloading and had N/A on the battery, when looking at the battery settings it said 0.1v which it shouldn't be as I had just charged it. I took the battery out (without powering off), turned the remote off and pressed the battery button a few times, put it back in, powered all on and it was fine. No idea why this happened but it's worked since just fine. I think what caused it was the button possibly being pushed on the battery a few times while being charged.

Wow, that is weird. Please confirm that i am reading your advice correctly. With the RC powered on and the P4P powered on, remove the battery from the P4P, turn off the remote and press the battery button to turn it off while outside of the bird. Seems weird that both of my batteries would exhibit this behaviour.

Wow, that is weird. Please confirm that i am reading your advice correctly. With the RC powered on and the P4P powered on, remove the battery from the P4P, turn off the remote and press the battery button to turn it off while outside of the bird. Seems weird that both of my batteries would exhibit this behaviour.
Correct. I only had the one battery on me and just mucking about to get it working (in sheer frustration thinking my new bird was dead having driven miles to go fly it). I think that's what I did at least. I would assume it's to do with the actual phantom, not the batteries seeing as though you have two and they both seem to be doing the same. Hopefully this is just an issue to be sorted in the next firmware update as it kind of knocks my confidence a little. Don't want the battery going "N/A" 1000ft in the air! Would seem unlikely that just us two seem to be the only ones with this issue, however that looks to be the case and I don't really know the exact cause (or even fix!) for sure.

I'd consider uninstalling the app then reinstalling on whatever device you are using, just to make sure and try eliminate possible causes, that is not how things should be.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It is looking increasingly like this P4P is defective as delivered. I have an iPad also and loaded the app on it, same story. Sometimes the battery will be detected and then after a minute or less, it will disappear. Also, I went to the about section to get a list of the installed firmware versions as installed and as I was watching the firmware version of the aircraft when from a valid value to N/A. I have the impression that activation of the gimbal may be correlated with the loss of battery status. Here is another piece of weirdness. Last time I repowered everything the app displayed Weak Image Transmission Signal. The bird and RC were within 2 feet of one another. Anymore ideas, or should I just arrange to return this?

Thanks all. I am sure the unit is defective based on testing so I will RMA it to the merchant and have it replaced with a new unit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik