I screwed up!

Masterblaster:
We got out a spare Syma X5C & used it to film the area where the Phantom 3 disappeared. Althougha rather shaky video,( the Syma;s have no gimbal, just attached to the body), video was good enough to locate the Phantom way up at the very tip of an overly tall evergreen in the middle of this little forest & we have marked that tree.
Now, to figure out how to get her down!
To the 2 comedians, if we could figure out how to grab the Phantom, i'd use my neighbours Inspire to hook it, but, with my luck today, we'd have 3 droids in the forest, funny eh!

Masterblaster:
We got out a spare Syma X5C & used it to film the area where the Phantom 3 disappeared. Althougha rather shaky video,( the Syma;s have no gimbal, just attached to the body), video was good enough to locate the Phantom way up at the very tip of an overly tall evergreen in the middle of this little forest & we have marked that tree.
To the 2 comedians, if we could figure out how to grab the Phantom, i'd use my neighbours Inspire to hook it, but, with my luck today, we'd have 3 droids in the forest, funny eh!
Well, you do have to admit from the outside it is a pretty funny scenario don't you think?

Anyway....ideas? (leave auto-play on for several different ideas)

Masterblaster:
Well that's the first step :)
Who owns the land the bird is on?
If this hadn't of happened and someone said they would give you $1500 to cut a tree down, would you?
If the answer was hell yeah, then you know what to do :)
I just think a lot can go wrong trying to use a line attached to another copter. You can also see these guys dropping fishing line.....maybe a hook and line dropped on it, then you pull from afar trying to get it to fall??
I'd cut the tree for that kind of money, especially if there is as many as you say. Maybe no one will ever know.

You could always call a tree company in the morning and see what they would charge you. Those guys wear spikes and can climb up a tree in no time. I bet they would do it for $100 or less. Would cost you less than possible gimbal damage should it fall trying to get it.
Just a thought....

This? Hahaha
Top that puppy...

RedHotPoker

Reactions: MasterBlaster
Well, you do have to admit from the outside it is a pretty funny scenario don't you think?

Anyway....ideas? (leave auto-play on for several different ideas)
Anyone Remember seeing these?

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Wolfiesden
1427996658-drone-tree-1.gif

You could always call a tree company in the morning and see what they would charge you. Those guys wear spikes and can climb up a tree in no time. I bet they would do it for $100 or less. Would cost you less than possible gimbal damage should it fall trying to get it.
Just a thought....

^this
Although those guys climb the trunk or large branches. Chances are the phantom is somewhere high in the crown on thin branches that may not be reachable. So they'll need to improvise something or at least cut some branches which will likely cause a lot of damage to the phantom.

Whatever you decide on doing, get it on video pls :).

Use a bow and arrow with fishing line attached. You may have to weigh down the arrow head by taping a bolt to it. Then try to shoot the line thru an upper part of the tree. Then attach a rope. to the line and pull it thru. With some one on each end of the line you should be able
to pull against the tree and give it pretty good shake.

You can get a kids bow and arrow set at walmart.

Where in ontario are you?

Where in ontario are you?
Fred- I;m North of Toronto by about 40 minutes, near Newmarket.
Wolfiesden - Yes, I begrudgingly admit, its pretty **** funny. Your rescue video, you were so close to hooking that droid! The one that came up after yours, looks like they ran a line from the line hanging from droid, to a guy on the ground for control, looks like it anyway.
So, after calling fire, rescue, hydro with no joy, I called a rock climbing venue in Newmarket & they have a guy that is the RC plane/Drone saviour. I booked him for 4:00pm today & took my dog over to have a look at height of drone, As I approach the grove of trees, my dog starts barking & barking running to me & back into the woods, & there she is, camera/gimbal facing up, my Phantom! I guess the overnight winds, brought her down, battery about 20' away from the body. I;m thinking she dropped, caught a branch, battery went one way & she went the other.
Only marks on it, one prop is solid green from chopping wood!
Haven't fired her up yet, that battery is charging no issues. as you can imagine, I am one happy Phantom flyer. (if I can call myself a flyer after this melee!)

Glad it came down. Hope she flies! Was going to suggest attaching some kite string to a tennis ball and throwing that up there and trying to hook it around a nearby branch. Then pull to jostle the limbs. But glad it came down on its own.

Mike

Fred- I;m North of Toronto by about 40 minutes, near Newmarket.
Wolfiesden - Yes, I begrudgingly admit, its pretty **** funny. Your rescue video, you were so close to hooking that droid! The one that came up after yours, looks like they ran a line from the line hanging from droid, to a guy on the ground for control, looks like it anyway.
So, after calling fire, rescue, hydro with no joy, I called a rock climbing venue in Newmarket & they have a guy that is the RC plane/Drone saviour. I booked him for 4:00pm today & took my dog over to have a look at height of drone, As I approach the grove of trees, my dog starts barking & barking running to me & back into the woods, & there she is, camera/gimbal facing up, my Phantom! I guess the overnight winds, brought her down, battery about 20' away from the body. I;m thinking she dropped, caught a branch, battery went one way & she went the other.
Only marks on it, one prop is solid green from chopping wood!
Haven't fired her up yet, that battery is charging no issues. as you can imagine, I am one happy Phantom flyer. (if I can call myself a flyer after this melee!)

To be clear, that wasn't my video, just one I had seen in the past and had bookmarked as being interesting.

And I am SO happy you got it back! Hope she survived the ordeal.

Be sure to replace that prop. Or at least clean it good and re-balance it.

Yay... Congratulations, salutations and way to go.
Thank you Mother Nature. It's awesome when the universe is on your side. Wind, or the tree groaned... Which ever.

When you said you found it, and the dog alerted you. Wow. Like as if he knew why you were there, and was going to help you, in any way he could.

Please do not fly there again. Now, though what about the first drone up in there? Will the mountaineer still be required, or have you forgotten the original reason you were there in the first place?

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
What actually happened here is the P3 just wasn't done landing yet.
It's a new over night landing feature that is not documented in the the last firmware update.:rolleyes:

Reactions: pomonabill220

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20