I NEVER Calibrated my IMU

Reaction score
...And I've never had any problems in about 30 flights. Pictures are level, drone hovers just fine. Neither the user manual nor the quick start guide say anything at all about doing so, and the app has never prompted me to do it.

Any reason why the community is so adamant on doing so every few months, including right when you get the drone? Why wouldn't DJI themselves suggest you do so (or at least provide instructions)? Am I risking serious problems if I'm flying without having done an IMU calibration?

First post - though I know IMU calibration is frequently discussed, I'm not sure this particular topic has been brought up.

I didn't calibrate mine and used it just fine for the first 2 weeks.
This past week I went ahead and calibrated and have to say it seems to warm up and connects to GO App much faster now that its been done.

Reactions: scootrkitz
Because some people think the phantom is a ticking time bomb and that all these small steps are needed for flight.

Just go out and fly the **** thing!

Sadly is the Internet and get a few guys to agree and repeat and the whole Internet will follow. Even if it is a waste of time

Only one compass cal too!

It's wise to recalibrate everything after any firmware update, as some settings may get reset. Also before flying, manually go over and through all of your camera and Go app parameter preferences, as they may need to be reset. For me, it's Just a preflight checklist is all...
Takes only moments, and gives you a confidence without doubt.

If you want to enjoy the best experiences possible, keep your drone firmware updated, and be proactive when there are things that need your attention.
This is supposed to be a fun and relaxing hobby. Not a nerve trying exasperation...

I have already been reminded, that yesterday, after updating to the latest firmware, I neglected to perform my stone-cold-drone IMU and gimbal recalibration. So I am doing that, right now... ;-)

RedHotPoker

I almost always have to calibrate the compass which fails quite often. I'll recalibrate the IMU next time just to see.

It's wise to recalibrate everything after any firmware update, as some settings may get reset. Also before flying, manually go over and through all of your camera and Go app parameter preferences, as they may need to be reset. For me, it's Just a preflight checklist is all...
Takes only moments, and gives you a confidence without doubt.

If you want to enjoy the best experiences possible, keep your drone firmware updated, and be proactive when there are things that need your attention.
This is supposed to be a fun and relaxing hobby. Not a nerve trying exasperation...

I have already been reminded, that yesterday, after updating to the latest firmware, I neglected to perform my stone-cold-drone IMU and gimbal recalibration. So I am doing that, right now... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Can you briefly touch on which parameter preferences specifically you check before every flight? And what you're looking for? I'm set to do some flying this evening, but am going to do a quick IMU calibration beforehand.

Thanks for your response.

Makes me laugh, to think of being so lax, as some of you proclaim, publicly. Hahaha
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RedHotPoker

Many people do not upgrade f/w to avoid unwanted additions.
This is a conscious behavior which is the opposite of 'lax' and see no shame publicly admitting so.
If you are happy with the status quo there is no need to upgrade.

Many people view constant updating and calibrating as "a nerve trying exasperation".

TEHO

Wow. So your horizon has always been straight?

Do you also see the numerous threads with people complaining about non-level horizons?

Yes, some people calibrate their IMU when they don't have to, thinking it might solve an issue that is unrelated to the IMU. But there are frequent valid cases for doing so.

Reactions: RedHotPoker
Can you briefly touch on which parameter preferences specifically you check before every flight? And what you're looking for? I'm set to do some flying this evening, but am going to do a quick IMU calibration beforehand.

Thanks for your response.
When doing an IMU calibration, I like to chill my drone down in the frost-free fridge for 15-20 minutes first. Or outside if it's cool enough.
When the drone is cold, & just before you bring it out, have the Go app ready on the IMU calibration page, so when you replace the room temp., warm battery into the drone and turn it on, as soon as the camera stops moving, tap the IMU calibration tab.
I always recalibrate the gimbal directly after this. A chilled IMU calibration has helped several here correct a crooked horizon, all but alleviates that warm up period when you first turn the drone on, and a couple other issues not coming to mind, as I never experienced any of the negative circumstances other pilots had.
When you go through the camera settings, this is a great place to begin personalizing the parameters...

Sure I can go through my own personal preferences, but perhaps a couple instructional videos would be better?
I will share mine first.
Under my Camera
I use HDR or AEB "3"
Image Size 16:9
Image Format JPEG+ RAW
White Balance Custom 5200K (depending on ambient light)
Style None or Custom
Color D-Log
Auto or Manual, ISO and Shutter. Just depending...

For my Video
4K 4096x2160
Video Format MOV or MP4 if you decide ;-)
NTSC
White Balance Custom 6000K
Style None
Color D-Log

Histogram On
Video Caption Off
Over Exposure Warning On
Grid None
Center Point Circle
Anti-Flicker 60Hz for N.America
File Index Continuous

Aircraft Battery
Show Voltage on Main Screen On
Time to Discharge 10 days

Main Controller Settings
MFM On
Return-to-Home Altitude 75M
Beginner Mode Off
Set Max Flight Altitude 500M
Enable Max Distance Off

Remote Controler Signal Lost Return To Home
Smart Return To Home On
Enable Vision Positioning On
Turn on Front LEDs On

Advanced Settings here is the fun place to seek adventure...
Sensors, here we look at MOD values.
Right now sitting here, my values are such:
Gyroscope Mod 0.01
Acceleration 1.00
Compass should be in & around 1400.00~1500.00
Check IMU Calibration not required

Hopefully these are some of the things we all can look at? ;-)
As well, keep your flight battery packs charged before flights.

And kind Sir, Always and all-ways, be pleasant to others when they step out of the bushes invariably to ask us "interesting" drone specific questions...

Have fun, fly safe, happy landing...

& Ahhhhh, big exhale... Ha

Now "I" need to recharge.

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: spr0922
Many people do not upgrade f/w to avoid unwanted additions.
This is a conscious behavior which is the opposite of 'lax' and see no shame publicly admitting so.
If you are happy with the status quo there is no need to upgrade.

Many people view constant updating and calibrating as "a nerve trying exasperation".

TEHO
Additions are what It's all about now, or buy the Phantom 4. Hehe
I paid $1700 Canucks and also needed a new iPad Air2 Cellular for my adventure, so to get the very most out of my investment, I will take anything I can get free from @dji and Apple Corp., and if that is a weekly or biweekly firmware update, so be it. Some companies charge for updated firmware... ;-)
Eh, besides, I enjoy the DDDD DDDD DDDD!! Soothes my soul.
I even play along with it, on my Yamaha Motif XF8. Hahaha
And make movies of it all, on my Nikon D800!!
Then jump on the SpYdr RS-S and haul azz to the www.ercha.ca RC heli flying field to test it all out..

RedHotPoker

Ummm duhhh IMU? After 2 crashes the horizon is still straight... It's never needed an IMU cal, the P3A works great as is on 1.3.002 using the 1.6.4 batteries from my P3P. I only calibrate the compass when asked. Even though my P3P is on 1.6.4 is says it has the latest fw, no issues with either as seen in my last video from last Saturday, the last 3 minutes is flying, 4 batteries, both P3's -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I never cal. and dont know how to update FW.
Really? Do you even know what version you are running? Take the time and YouTube How to update Phantom (whatever model) firmware. Sometimes they add features and fix many bugs.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I almost always have to calibrate the compass which fails quite often. I'll recalibrate the IMU next time just to see.
The compass doesn't fail at all.
A compass error is your compass telling you that you are in an area where the earth's normal magnetic field is distorted by a lot of steel nearby.
Most commonly this is reinforced concrete.
If this is the cause, recalibrating is the wrong response.
The correct solution is to move away from the steel causing the problem.

It's wise to recalibrate everything after any firmware update, as some settings may get reset.
Not so wise that DJI ever thought to recommend it - there's nothing about it in the manual or the DJI firmware update video you linked.
It seems to be a forum myth that's crept in.
Some users love to feel that they are doing things that make their flying better or safer.
Some of the things they do don't make any difference but because forumers keep advocating, others feel they should as well.

My belief (based on experience and observation) is that after updating, all you need to do is go back and check the settings that have reverted to default values.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.