I need zenmuse cable pin outs/wire diagram

Reaction score
I have a spare Phantom 2 that I want to leave the gimbal off of and use a FPV zoom camera in place of a GoPro3 and Zenmuse--mounted in a fixed position but with optical zoom. This will be my long range P2 for ground station and even UHF receiver project. I prefer to use the Zenmuse cable to get video out from my FPV camera and feed it into the board as if a GoPro was attached just to keep the rest of the iOSD and videoTX install clean. I also want to power the camera from the zenmuse cable as well. I will then use the Helipal mini iOSD to Immersion RC plug and play cable unmodified to get the video signal merged with the iOSD video and all data out to one of my IRC or Fatshark TXs.

Does anyone have the wiring diagram for the Zenmuse cable as it would attach to the Zenmuse gimbal itself. I will hope to hotwire the three correct wires from the Zenmuse cable (video out, power in, and ground) and be ready to go if all goes to plan. One would think the cable/pin diagram would be easy to find, but so far not for me. Guess most are just connecting it to the gimbal for obvious reasons.

Thanks to all of you who now have me into a third phantom and 3 nearly build autopilot driven airplanes. As I knew would happen, I pulled my Hero 3+ Black out of my P2 for a quick trip skiing. Somehow I look up on the lift and note that it is no longer on my 8 year old son's helmet. I am 9 weeks out of shoulder surgery but decide the black diamond, directly under a busy lift must be skied to find that camera. Of course, somehow I ski the first black mogul run I can recall without falling even with the pressure of everyone on the lift above me wondering what I am doing. I make it to the lift line. Ask the attendants...of course no GoPro turned in. So that was the point...standing still waiting to get back on the lift I fall over for no real reason an tweak that shoulder good. Lesson--leave the GoPro on your P2's....take your old Hero 2 and don't worry about your ego telling you (me) that all you could come up with for skiing was old, heaving, thick technology!

Please help with the wiring diagram for the P2 Zenmuse cable!

Thanks!

Come on guys...someone has to know what each of these 8 little Zenmuse gimbal wires do... I can think of all kinds of fun things to do with the gimbal tilt channel once I know all of this. Perhaps I can use that for the zoom on my to-be optical zoom FPV camera!

Thanks!

I know this post is old but DJI withholds information that should be given to their customers. I will be posting everything we discover anywhere I can and although this may not help the original poster it may help others seeking this info.

I have an H3 3D and H4 3D and they both pin out the same - it may be safe to assume older units are the same - a volt meter will tell you. The video on the mini USB will be on the third and second to the last pin on the narrow side of the USB connector - this is a straight pass through the gimbal and can be toned out from the USB connector to the 8 pin header. With the unit on you can see the voltage to the unit and the grounds will tone to the body of the USB connector. Your remaining 2 pins will be CAN L and CAN H

Looking at the pins from the rear of the gimbal (as in the header is facing you and the gimbal is in the proper orientation with the camera arm down) from left to right it is:

1 - Video
2 -Video ground
3 - 12v +
4 - 12v +
5 - 12v -
6 - 12v -
7 - CAN L
8 - CAN H

The issue with DJI gimbals is that they are controlled by CAN and in newer models such as the X3 they use USB. You would have to use a CAN sniffer on 7 and 8 to determine what information is being sent during the command you are looking to use. 7 and 8 in conjunction with the flight controller handle the stabilizing, tilt, rotation and so on. CAN is data and the H3/H4 have a chip inside with expected commands to make the gimbal function. DJI closely guards this information (even though they by no means originally came up with it) so you will have to figure out what data is being sent under normal use and build a circuit to use the commands.

We have been very frustrated with DJI and their lack of willingness to help hackers/developers. For example, the M100 is supposed to be a "developers" drone but DJI will not give even a pinout. To me this is NOT a developer unit; it is a unit that allows basic "in the box" mods based on products they sell.

My recommendation - get a Pixhawk PX4, a Taranis XD9 plus, receiver, a couple amps and other necessary components and you will have a true "hackable" unit. In the long run it will cost you FAR less than trying to RE the DJI hardware.

If this is at all confusing someone let me know and I will do a youtube video or drawing (or both)...

Come on guys...someone has to know what each of these 8 little Zenmuse gimbal wires do... I can think of all kinds of fun things to do with the gimbal tilt channel once I know all of this. Perhaps I can use that for the zoom on my to-be optical zoom FPV camera!

Thanks!

Ignore the wifi module part.
gopro-vision_app2.jpg

Reactions: Brent10
There is also a DJI part that allegedly allows it to be used with other drones - DJI H3-3D GCU Gimbal Controller Unit - Part 46...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik