I need help opening video on a mac!

Reaction score
I just got my phantom 2 vision + and went out and shot some video. When I got home I connected the USB cable to my iMac, turned on my camera and drug the video file to my desktop. It showed up as an .MP4 file. When I double clicked the .MP4 file it would not open. I tried it in Quicktime 7 and it said the file type was not supported. I got a similar message from iMovie. What can I do to open this video file and do some basic editing??

I always use the Freemake video convertor software for converting video files from one type to another. It's free and works great. Just be careful when you download and are installing it that you make sure you uncheck any additional software add-ons that may be included, because those types of unwanted extra freebies can cause problems and are often hard to get rid of. As good practice, I always choose "Custom" install if ever presented with that option so I can deselect programs I do not want. Anyway.. You can find the Freemake download here:

http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

Sounds like you didn't stop the video recording on the drone. Put your microSD back into your phantom and turn it on, get everything connected like you are going to fly then shut it back off. The camera should correctly close the video and then it should open ok. This is a common problem. the video should open natively with quicktime.

I agree with DronePilot's response. Put the card in the copter, power it up for 10-15 seconds to let it properly close the video file, copy it over, and try again.

I'm running 10.9.5 on my Mac, and QuickTime opens the Phantom files just fine. Then again, I'm using a card reader to pull files from the MicroSD card. I've never done it over the USB on the copter.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic