I need a large foldable landing pad

Reaction score
on only my second commercial mission, I realized that I need a large foldable landing pad. I googled and amazoned, but they are all small toys. I will be in multiple varied locations. I need a dependable portable surface to land on that I can carry about. Any suggestions?

How large?

I sometimes use a piece of plywood and a length of two by four. The two by four is for underneath in case I need to level the plywood.

on only my second commercial mission, I realized that I need a large foldable landing pad. I googled and amazoned, but they are all small toys. I will be in multiple varied locations. I need a dependable portable surface to land on that I can carry about. Any suggestions?
I made my own very simple anyone should be able to make it, I wasn't going to pay the prices to buy one they are ridiculous in price. I got a sheet of plywood cut it 4 feet by 4 feet (or whatever size u want) I drilled a hole in each corner to run a lag bolt through I'm using some about 5 inches. On bottom side run a nut down then a flat washer then put bolt through hole from underside then a flat washer and nut on top side, do that to each corner. Reason for it like that is so you can raise or lower each corner using the bottom nut and tighten down top nut so plywood is sandwiched between. I glued a bubble line level on each side in the middle between the two bolts so there is a level on each side to be able to level the pad( not necessary for just a launch/land pad to be precisely level but if it is calibrations can be done on it as well) I then painted it with plastidip from Walmart it's dirt cheap so it has a rubber like coating. I also put LEDs on it with a battery (looks cool at night and it's fun to tilt camera down from above and land fpv using the LEDs on the pad lol) but not necessary. If you wanted a folding one cut it in half and put some hinges on the bottom side could even put a handle so it can be easily caried while folded from like your trunk to launch site etc.

Reactions: Low Flying Scotsman
I made my own very simple anyone should be able to make it, I wasn't going to pay the prices to buy one they are ridiculous in price. I got a sheet of plywood cut it 4 feet by 4 feet (or whatever size u want) I drilled a hole in each corner to run a lag bolt through I'm using some about 5 inches. On bottom side run a nut down then a flat washer then put bolt through hole from underside then a flat washer and nut on top side, do that to each corner. Reason for it like that is so you can raise or lower each corner using the bottom nut and tighten down top nut so plywood is sandwiched between. I glued a bubble line level on each side in the middle between the two bolts so there is a level on each side to be able to level the pad( not necessary for just a launch/land pad to be precisely level but if it is calibrations can be done on it as well) I then painted it with plastidip from Walmart it's dirt cheap so it has a rubber like coating. I also put LEDs on it with a battery (looks cool at night and it's fun to tilt camera down from above and land fpv using the LEDs on the pad lol) but not necessary. If you wanted a folding one cut it in half and put some hinges on the bottom side could even put a handle so it can be easily caried while folded from like your trunk to launch site etc.

Start selling it :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
I use a plastic fold up table. It folds flat to 2 foot by 2 foot. Unfold it and it is 2 foot by 4 foot. The legs telescope to 3 different heights and fold into the table. It is flat and maybe 4 inches thick with a cloth handle when folded. It is so nice to stand upright while you are messing with the bird and works awesome even if you dont unfold it.
captain kush

I use a plastic fold up table. It folds flat to 2 foot by 2 foot. Unfold it and it is 2 foot by 4 foot. The legs telescope to 3 different heights and fold into the table. It is flat and maybe 4 inches thick with a cloth handle when folded. It is so nice to stand upright while you are messing with the bird and works awesome even if you dont unfold it.
captain kush
Yes, another good idea, I have one also, but it is usually full of cases, gear, and paperwork. Mine does not have telescoping legs tough. I had to cut some pvc leg extenders for it.

Why does it need to be large? I've been using a piece of 6mm Sintra 13 x 13 inches for a few years now and its fine. I routed it out, even routed a handle into it.

I flew an automated Pix4D capture mission the other day, and the landing took place about 3 feet from the take off point. Winds were sustained at 10 with gusts to 20. I could always take over and land manually, but the automation is pretty convienant.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic