I nearly did a CSC in midair :/

Reaction score
I remember reading a post here where someone was concerned about accidentally doing a CSC in-flight and someone replied saying they could not imagine what scenario that would happen in... well I found one!

I was doing a flyover of a hole on a golf course and wanted to approach the green from the front, descending slowly, and do a nice swing-around clockwise to look back down the fairway. So far I have ↘ ← for the swing around plus descent, but then I realised that I had over-shot the green slightly and needed to move back a wee bit to get it in frame properly. So a little bit of reverse would have given me ↘↙ and a smashed phantom! Or close to it anyhow, as I was not descending rapidly nor would I have reversed rapidly, but it would have been close enough to a full CSC that an errant twitch of the thumbs could have sent it tumbling.

Now this actually wouldn't have produced good results anyhow, as looking down at the green from high does not translate well into looking back down the course from low without messing up the shot by moving the camera (c'mon 7th channel....) but the fact is that - rightly or wrongly - I found myself in that situation actually about to offhandedly do a CSC in midair.

:oops:

Sketch6995 said:
they really should make it impossible to CSC the drone while its in the air.......
terrible oversight on the programmers part.

Sketch6995, not so sure...
What about if you need to cut motors off inmediately... in an emergency ????
It is possible that they did it that way on purpose.... IMO.

Best regards : Juan

True... CSC [shut-down] is for emergencies.

BTW does "slow descent" equal throttle 100% down? Not for me.

I think the odds of you maintaining that CSC position for the amount of time required to shut down would be unlikely. You would have moved one of the sticks while navigating to keep it from doing that.

Are you using course lock for this type of filming? I sure would be.

And I agree. Come on channel 7 !

rrmccabe said:
I think the odds of you maintaining that CSC position for the amount of time required to shut down would be unlikely. You would have moved one of the sticks while navigating to keep it from doing that.!

I did a test (I should have just searched the internet first - it would have saved me a shell), and I can confirm that the Phantom will shutdown IMMEDIATELY when the CSC position is hit. I thought that you would have to hold it for 3 seconds (or at least a second), but nope, as soon as I hit the position, the Phantom fell from the sky.

Jebus said:
I can confirm that the Phantom will shutdown IMMEDIATELY when the CSC position is hit. I thought that you would have to hold it for 3 seconds (or at least a second), but nope, as soon as I hit the position, the Phantom fell from the sky.

Good info. Is something I will try to avoid

Beware, for a CSC the right stick hasn't to be in the extreme corner position!
It triggers the CSC much earlier, just after midway. At least it happens that way with my PV2+.
I tried this several times safely on the ground.

Try this at home!!

Ton

nhoover said:
Keuka said:
I've done it mistakenly 3 (!) times myself :(

Does it really shutdown in midair? Can you restart it before crashing (assuming you've got some altitude when it happens)?

Yes - and Yes, but you'd need some serious altitude and a quick reaction. She drops LIKE A ROCK without power... 4.9m after 1 second, 19.2m after 2 seconds, increasing exponentially until it reaches terminal velocity of 54m/sec.

The time's I've mistakenly done it, by the time my brain registered what I'd done, it was all over... :shock: :eek: :( :oops:

I had thought that some reports of VRS were actually a shut down. the big difference is in VRS the noise from the môtôrs and prôps should be loud.

TonG said:
Beware, for a CSC the right stick hasn't to be in the extreme corner position!
It triggers the CSC much earlier, just after midway. At least it happens that way with my PV2+.
I tried this several times safely on the ground.

Try this at home!!

Ton

Are you sure your motors shut down because of CSC or did they shut down because the throttle stick was down too long since you took your time to slowly move the stick inboard?

Unless you have selected 'immediately mode' as the stop type with/in the P2 assistant, the throttle stick alone cannot iniate a motor stop.

You can find the information seen below at:
http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... Stop_Motor

(1) Immediately Mode: If you select this mode, in any control mode, once motors start and throttle stick is over 10%, motors will not stop immediately only when throttle stick is back under 10% the motors will stop. In this case, if you push the throttle stick over 10% within 5 seconds after motors stop, motors will re-start, CSC is not needed. If you don’t push throttle stick after motors start in three seconds, motors will stop automatically.

(2) Intelligent Mode: By using this mode, different control mode has different way of stopping motors. In Manual Mode, only executing CSC can stop motors. In ATTI. Mode or GPS ATTI. Mode, any one of following four cases will stop motors:

a) You don’t push throttle stick after motors start within three seconds;

b) Executing CSC;

c) Throttle stick under 40%, and after landing for more than 3 seconds.

d) If the angle of multi-rotor is over 70°, and throttle stick under 10%.

N017RW said:
Unless you have selected 'immediately mode' as the stop type with/in the P2 assistant, the throttle stick alone cannot iniate a motor stop.
Yes absolutely but TonG did his tests on the ground so he can initiate throttle down shut off if he took too long during his tests!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31