I made a HUGE mistake...

Reaction score
So last night I thought I would film the sunrise when I get up in the morning. So, this morning I got up to film the sunrise and noticed that it what's foggy out. I knew you're not supposed to fly in fog but I did anyways. Now I know what you're thinking, "Why the heck would you fly in fogg? You're an idiot!" Well yes I know, but I did. So no need to start a lecture. So I got up, got everything set up and started hovering in the sky. Exactly, hovering! The worst thing you could do in the fogg. Little while later I notice on my screen that the lens seems to be fogged up. So I try to decide whether I should bring it down to wipe it off, or just leave it. After a minute of going over with myself what I should do, I decide bring it down. I land it an it has raindrops on it and looks like it was rained on. I rushed inside to wipe it off as quickly as possible, hoping no water got or will get inside (even tho there probably already was). All seems to be okay. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Let this be a lesson for everyone! Never fly you drone in the fogg! No matter what your doing it for, where you're doing it, or who you're doing it for. Never, EVER fly you're drone in the fogg!!

Reactions: yorlik
I've flown in fog and rain. As long as the internal electronics stay dry it'll be ok. If it gets "Moist", I let mine dry out in the house a few hours.

So last night I thought I would film the sunrise when I get up in the morning. So, this morning I got up to film the sunrise and noticed that it what's foggy out. I knew you're not supposed to fly in fog but I did anyways. Now I know what you're thinking, "Why the heck would you fly in fogg? You're an idiot!" Well yes I know, but I did. So no need to start a lecture. So I got up, got everything set up and started hovering in the sky. Exactly, hovering! The worst thing you could do in the fogg. Little while later I notice on my screen that the lens seems to be fogged up. So I try to decide whether I should bring it down to wipe it off, or just leave it. After a minute of going over with myself what I should do, I decide bring it down. I land it an it has raindrops on it and looks like it was rained on. I rushed inside to wipe it off as quickly as possible, hoping no water got or will get inside (even tho there probably already was). All seems to be okay. I learned my lesson the hard way.

Let this be a lesson for everyone! Never fly you drone in the fogg! No matter what your doing it for, where you're doing it, or who you're doing it for. Never, EVER fly you're drone in the fogg!!
Ha. I appreciate the warning, but I fly my Phantom 4 through fog....all the time. Here is just 2 of the videos I have made punching through the fog. I don't recommend this, if you are a hobbyist, or don't have insurance on your equipment. I actually look for foggy days because you never know what it is going to look like on top of the fog.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Well, I least you learned and the drone survived.
Well, I think it survived. I'm going to try it out here latter. I'll let you know how it works.
Maybe you should have flown above the fog?
Maybe. I guess I never thought of that. The problem is I just let it hover the whole time. If I flew it around it would be better.
I've flown in fog and rain. As long as the internal electronics stay dry it'll be ok. If it gets "Moist", I let mine dry out in the house a few hours.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to fly in rain even if it should be safe. I just would rather be safe than sorry. As I said to Alan Russel, the problem is I just let it hover the whole time. If I flew it around it would be better.
Ha. I appreciate the warning, but I fly my Phantom 4 through fog....all the time. Here is just 2 of the videos I have made punching through the fog. I don't recommend this, if you are a hobbyist, or don't have insurance on your equipment. I actually look for foggy days because you never know what it is going to look like on top of the fog.

I think flying would be fine but I just had it hovering witch would make it more wet I would think. Nice vids by the way!

If you let your Phantom warm to the outside temp before using, fogging of the lens and condensation on the bird will be minimized. This is especially true if the bird has been inside in cool air. It's the same reason that water forms on the outside of a cold drink. When I'm shooting outside (camera) and I'm going to take the camera/lenses from a cool, air-conditioned temp inside to even slightly warmer temps outside, I put them all in a giant, sealable plastic bag BEFORE I take them outside. I let them sit outside in the shade for 30-60 minutes before I use them to equilibrate to the outside temp. I have done that on very foggy, cool days and no condensation occurs on the camera or lens. I've done the same with my Phantom. Just be sure to put it in the bag BEFORE going outside when it's warmer outside than inside.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers