I love the p2v+ but won't upgrade till they have camera zoom

Reaction score
I find That without camera zoom which to me is a critical oversight I'll wait until they include that. Yes I know I can fly lower or closer, but if I had the ability to zoom in where I'm at it would make the photography thing so much better. I also would like to see the ability to shot upwards. This trick might require two camera one on top of the drone also but imagine being able to scale up skyscrapers. The zoom will be here first. Don't be surprised if it's in the next release of this phantom.

Re: I love the p2v+ but won't upgrade till they have camera

Why is zoom critical for you? The question is especially important considering the relatively low quality video and stills that limit the PV2+

What product are you delivering? Who are you delivering it to?

An optical zoom would increase the camera weight significantly and require a beefed up gimbal.
Digital zoom would be much the same as cropping in with video software you can do already with mixed results.
I could imagine a digital setting for say 2x and 5x which would be universally panned considering the moderate resolution without a completely revised camera.

Adding zoom will also give privacy zealots more ammo.

I see no need for a zoom feature. If you want a closer picture, fly closer (if possible)

KG4MXV said:
Adding zoom will also give privacy zealots more ammo.

I see no need for a zoom feature. If you want a closer picture, fly closer (if possible)
Yeah i guess this is a very valid point.

But waiting to buy after they get fought up on production and the backlog on repairs.
Might be a really wise choice.

One thing is for sure, if I do happen to buy a P2V+ the first thing I am doing is taking off the top and a thorough
inspection of all solder joints and reseating all connections.

I will have no problem correcting cold solder joints.

To be really honest, after seeing how fragile the gimbal is. I am going to see if they make any changes to beef it up some.

4wd said:
An optical zoom would increase the camera weight significantly and require a beefed up gimbal.
Digital zoom would be much the same as cropping in with video software you can do already with mixed results.
I could imagine a digital setting for say 2x and 5x which would be universally panned considering the moderate resolution without a completely revised camera.
The optical zoom adds weight, but I think the real issue would be it throws the gimbal weight balance off! This is critical for proper gimbal operation. This can be solved, but it complicates things even more.

While optical zoom would be convenient, I would prefer interchangeable lens to avoid the wide angle distortion. I understand why GoPro uses a fisheye/wide angle for action sports, particularly when they didn't have a monitor on their camera, but I think this is less of an issue for aerial applications. I would give up field of view to get less distortion. Less fisheye could be the standard camera configuration, with a lens cap style fisheye that could be added over the std lens like OlliClip does for iPhones. Hopefully the added weight wouldn't be enough to affect the gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie