I live 2.1 miles from a Class D airport

Reaction score
I'm about to buy my first DJI product (P4Pro) and am wondering how my proximity to the local airport is going to affect its use. Although I haven't researched the exact details, I know there is an unlock process to get around NFZs but based on posts I've seen there seem to be some exceptions.

1. Will there be an issue with the first time I turn it on out of the box if it's in a NFZ?

2. I have my Part 107 but treat home test flights of my other drones as non-commercial so I can just notify the tower as a recreational flight. I've applied for an FAA authorization (2 months ago) but have yet to hear back. Does hobbyist vs commercial affect the NFZ unlock process as a general rule?

Are the NFZ zones on DJI's map accurate or merely representative? If accurate then the local one stops a few streets short of me even though I'm only 2.1 miles from the airport. That would be nice. I've asked these questions in the DJI forum without response. Sort of dread calling DJI's pre-sales line since I doubt they know something this technical. Any ideas on if I'm going to have a problem either initially or ongoing?

i dont know about class. i live 1.4 miles from a county airport that acomadates small jets, it does not have a control tower, i called yesterdsy, i mist stay under 400 ft. Thats all he said.

I'm about to buy my first DJI product (P4Pro) and am wondering how my proximity to the local airport is going to affect its use. Although I haven't researched the exact details, I know there is an unlock process to get around NFZs but based on posts I've seen there seem to be some exceptions.

1. Will there be an issue with the first time I turn it on out of the box if it's in a NFZ?

2. I have my Part 107 but treat home test flights of my other drones as non-commercial so I can just notify the tower as a recreational flight. I've applied for an FAA authorization (2 months ago) but have yet to hear back. Does hobbyist vs commercial affect the NFZ unlock process as a general rule?

Are the NFZ zones on DJI's map accurate or merely representative? If accurate then the local one stops a few streets short of me even though I'm only 2.1 miles from the airport. That would be nice. I've asked these questions in the DJI forum without response. Sort of dread calling DJI's pre-sales line since I doubt they know something this technical. Any ideas on if I'm going to have a problem either initially or ongoing?

I live 1.1 miles from a county airport. No control tower. My arrangement with the airport manager is that I call the day before I fly with pertinent info (coordinates of flight area, size of flight area, altitude AGL, date and time of flight). They don't issue a NOTAM, but they do post the information for the pilots on the bulletin board. Don't even have to speak with him in person...just leave a voice message.

They are in a DJI flight area, but I'm not restricted. If you have a working relationship with the airport folks, you can just fly with Litchi instead of DJI Go 4. In their upcoming versions (above 3.10.10 on android) they are going to unlock the DJI restrictions. BTW, Litchi is given an SDK by DJI for developing the Litchi software.

Have fun and fly safely and smart!!

The tower has never had a problem with me flying so actual authorization isn't an issue. Just not sure if DJI's restrictions would come into play and be a technical problem.

If you have a working relationship with the airport folks, you can just fly with Litchi instead of DJI Go 4. In their upcoming versions (above 3.10.10 on android) they are going to unlock the DJI restrictions. BTW, Litchi is given an SDK by DJI for developing the Litchi software.

Have fun and fly safely and smart!!

John,

As much as I did not want to wind up using Litchi to fly the P4, it appears that may be my only choice for a few selected flights.

I recently was unable to fly in a "Red Zone" at the airport (with prior permissions as I'm working with the airport authority) to video some upgrade work physically on the airport.

Are you saying I can use the Litchi app to make the flight inside the "Red Zone" of DJI's restrictions?

This could really solve a big problem for me this week.

AD

John,

As much as I did not want to wind up using Litchi to fly the P4, it appears that may be my only choice for a few selected flights.

I recently was unable to fly in a "Red Zone" at the airport (with prior permissions as I'm working with the airport authority) to video some upgrade work physically on the airport.

Are you saying I can use the Litchi app to make the flight inside the "Red Zone" of DJI's restrictions?

This could really solve a big problem for me this week.

AD

Here's a 6/9/2017 post from Litchi's Facebook page...
With the current versions of Litchi (iOS 1.16.12 and Android 3.10.10), if you update to the latest DJI firmware for Mavic Pro (v01.03.0800), Phantom 4 Pro (v01.04.0602) or Phantom 4 Advanced (v01.00.0128) you will be required to log in in DJI Go to unlock the new altitude and distance limitations both for DJI Go and Litchi. The upcoming Litchi versions will automatically unlock the restrictions without having to log in in DJI Go except if you fly in China (in which case log in with DJI Go will still be required but can be done within Litchi).

Not sure what class airport you need to fly near, but, I'd say you'd be ok. If you go to the Litchi Facebook page, you can messsge them. I got a response within a business day.

BTW, Litchi is my preferred app. I'm in love with waypoint missions that can be planned on their Mission Hub site and downloaded onto my tablet for flying. Check out all the features, you might really like it. Good luck in your endeavor!

John,

Thanks for the information.

I've sent off an email to Litchi support with some specific questions. Hopefully they'll be the answers I'm looking for this week!

AD

John,

Just got a very clear email from Litchi support and although they did answer several of my questions about the product, they did say the operating in the Red Zone was not one of the options at this time.

Oh well, hopefully I'll have my "authorization" to fly where I've flown before sometime next month and hopefully before the job goes away.

AD

I live ON a FAA registered air-strip. The only problem I have had so far with my Phantom 3, is when I operated it up near the Canadian border, where a big tree jumped out at it and attacked it.

If you want to operate a drone on my air-strip, you are welcome - phone me first to gain admission to our secured area - I am listed on the FAA registry as AZ 27.

WARNING - if I catch you operating a drone on my air-strip, WITHOUT PROP GUARDS, I will feed you to our bunney wabbets.....if the bunney wabbets don't get you, our lizzards will.... I will NOT have "prop-guard-less" drones endangering our bunney wabbets....

I live ON a FAA registered air-strip. The only problem I have had so far with my Phantom 3, is when I operated it up near the Canadian border, where a big tree jumped out at it and attacked it.

If you want to operate a drone on my air-strip, you are welcome - phone me first to gain admission to our secured area - I am listed on the FAA registry as AZ 27.

WARNING - if I catch you operating a drone on my air-strip, WITHOUT PROP GUARDS, I will feed you to our bunney wabbets.....if the bunney wabbets don't get you, our lizzards will.... I will NOT have "prop-guard-less" drones endangering our bunney wabbets....

You a funny guy! You need to Google Henry's Rabbit Ranch. His name is Rich Henry and he lives in Staunton, IL. His Rabbit Ranch is an attraction on Route 66. BUT, he is an ardent wabbit lover. Thanks for looking out for your bunny wabbits!

You a funny guy! You need to Google Henry's Rabbit Ranch......... he is an ardent wabbit lover. Thanks for looking out for your bunny wabbits!
=========================================================
I do not need to contact Henry or anyone else - I already have bunney wabbets here guarding my air-strip. You show up with a drone that does NOT have prop. guards...and I will order them to attack you and eat you.

=========================================================
I do not need to contact Henry or anyone else - I already have bunney wabbets here guarding my air-strip. You show up with a drone that does NOT have prop. guards...and I will order them to attack you and eat you.

Sorry... I just thought you might have something in common, i.e. your love of rabbits. But, you seem to be a bit unbalanced, so that's probably not a good idea.

Sorry... I just thought you might have something in common, i.e. your love of rabbits. But, you seem to be a bit unbalanced, so that's probably not a good idea.
............................................................................................................
We both owe the guy who started this "thread" an apology for getting so far away from his question.

As a side-note, I must protest your last "post" to me..... did I ever lie to you..did I ever claim to be only "a bit" unbalanced...?

Got my new bird today. Haven't turned it on yet because I don't want the 48 hours care assist clock to start running until later tomorrow. It's smaller than my Yuneec Typhoon. I had several packages arriving today and when the UPS guy came I thought the P4Pro had been delayed because there didn't seem to be a big enough box. Funny.

I live a couple of miles south of Paine Field (and also sometimes fly at a park about three miles to the north)and have not had any issues with launching either my P3P or Mavic in the area, I just acknowledge the warning that pops up in the app. Of course if I got close enough to the field, the NFZ would start kicking in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers