I let it rip today. (Stock) 4031ft

Great shots Tony! I know the area well, I live in Lakeland and get over there quite a bit in the summer
Thanks. Took me a month to get the nerves to actually fly over the gulf. I'm thinking over there in Lakeland. Might be some nice farmland to test it on. Or at least in plant city.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've been doing a lot of over water flying with all the lakes over here. I was nervous at first too, but I find it very peaceful because I don't have to worry about people as much being out over water. There are a lot of Rails to Trails in central Florida that offer some good areas to get out over wide open pasture land with no trees. I went 3580 ft. today with no mods.

I've been doing a lot of over water flying with all the lakes over here. I was nervous at first too, but I find it very peaceful because I don't have to worry about people as much being out over water. There are a lot of Rails to Trails in central Florida that offer some good areas to get out over wide open pasture land with no trees. I went 3580 ft. today with no mods.
Wow. Impressive. That will be my next adventure. But I'm really wanting to get some shots of downtown Tampa. But I think I will have to do it at sunrise before every one gets up and freak out.

Ooh. Believe me at that distance. I was thinking. This thing is completely out of sight. Blended in with the sky. No way could I see it. The sky was perfectly blue. I looked and looked. Nothing. But video feed was perfect the entire way. So I had confidence.

NICE!!!

I got 3.2km or 10,500feet the other day, stock as a rock no mods. Smooth as video no lag, I don't know if I will try to go any further than that though. It's a **** long way to be flying a 'toy' from haha. I have also been to the maximum 500m/1640ft altitude too. Such an incredible machine!

Reactions: Tony Cowan
You think being higher up helps? I was at about 320ft. But for sure only over water. I'm waiting for my windsurfer. Only strange thing that happened was when drone returned. It was over head. I lost video for about 10 secs. But it was right in front of me. Also. Noted on the return flight log. It says I was -3ft below sea level. As where I was standing is not so solid. It was slightly different position from where I took off.

On land higher up helps because it means less obstacles in between me and the P3S. Over water this wouldn't make much difference. For your overhead signal loss, keep in mind your antennas they aren't usually directed upwards. The time I went to 500m I had to hold the controller pointing up to maintain video signal because I was directly overhead.

Hey all. Today I just let my guard down and let the thing fly. I went to our famous sunshine skyway bridge and headed over the Gulf of Mexico towards St. Petersburg beach. All over water. And a few small uninhabited islands. I'm using stock remote. No mods or not even the windsurfer. As I have not received it yet. I'm so curious what I will get with dbs or windsurfer. Also I did not lose signal. It was about 3 lines still. I just got scared and turned it around as I could not see it. I was about 300 in altitude. Flight logs here.
4778e7c347c70eb2156918245de0194b.jpg
f3fe18c75542900e6f672667b164a2a7.jpg
43325874defdb15807b5e2c0f73a15b5.jpg

What drone did you use?

Hi Guys! I'm getting the Advanced here in the next week or so. Needless to say I have been obsessing over this for the past month or so, lol! I am feeling very lucky because the field across from me is part of a massive river bottom that stretches 5.6 miles at almost EXACTLY the same elevation (within 10's of feet, literally) the whole way. And I live almost dead center of the thing. I included several pictures of some mapping I've done to get an idea of how far this drone will go . The waypoints marked on the map closest to the blue dot are my planned launch points. I marked waypoints in an arch showing 1.5 miles from launch. What are your thoughts on my likely range, flying at 300-400 ft? Keep in mind, this is flying over pretty much only fields except for occasional clumps of trees, as you can view on the sat pic. Also, I included 2 satellite pics of the town water tower in relation to the field i'll be flying from. When far enough into the field, there is direct LOS to the tower. Would it be feasible to launch from the field, fly over to water tower and get the orbiting, point of interest shots of it? I have heard things about keeping away from large metal objects because the magnetic dield can screw with the compass, so what would be considered a "safe" distance away from something like that? In regards to magnetic fields?

I too let my P3S rip yesterday. It's completely stock. I flew it out over some trees. As I crossed the 3000ft mark, I started to get real nervous, but still had good video feed. Ended up at about 3260ft distance when I returned home. Here's my screen shot.
IMG_1823.png

Reactions: Tony Cowan
Not bad range for a Standard. Did you ever finally lose video feed or did she still have some distance left?

Not bad range for a Standard. Did you ever finally lose video feed or did she still have some distance left?

Gary, pretty sure she still had some range, but my confidence didn't. I brought it back and flew it in a different direction and lost the signal at about 1500ft. I think the problem there may have been some sort of interference.

I don't have a Phantom yet but the Advanced is a purchase being made VERY soon. I have been hearing some good things about range from several guys I have talked to.

**** Tony, you go man. i just dont want to fly over water here where it is cold. signals must bounce of the water that's why they go father over water.

Good job!
It's the lack of obstructions which allows these longer distances over flat surfaces (water or plains). That and no (or less) interference from other radio signals.

Last edited:
Well I'm looking for my windsurfer in the mail any day now and I will see exactly how far it can go. But I am curious as well as to how far in the city.

I let my stock P3S buck last weekend. Made it 5,875 ft before the signal started to cut out and in. It didn't auto RTH but I headed back home anyway. I have 6 flights in and I'm hooked!
image.png

Reactions: rmasson

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj